Old video footage of our Aussie theme parks in 80's/90's

Just now, DWP said:

Looking at that old entry photo of DW it seems that the entry is still elevated over the carpark height as is the case today although the grass area between the carpark and entry doesn't seem as steep or as long as the current staircase is although that could be a perspective issue from the photo being taken further away but still it does look strange not seeing the staircase.

I agree, judging by the height of the bus the grass looks to be roughly the height of a bus which would still be the same today. If anything it may have changed <1m when (assuming they did) they resurfaced the carpark. 

On 26/3/2016 at 2:31 AM, DWP said:

Wait so you had to watch that pre ride video of Bermuda Triangle every time you rode it? To me that would get old real fast as after the first time I'd be like can we just get to the ride already. Now before people jump up and down I've read the previous posts about how great the pre show was for Bermuda and how it enhanced the experience etc. and while I see how a good pre ride can help the ride and is something that is much loved by people who experienced it, it would appear tiresome to me to have to deal with that on multiple occasions on the same day etc. Now granted that people here have mentioned that later in the day that at times the pre show was skipped but still.

I'm sure some will argue that going to MW and riding Superman Escape multiple times will result in having to deal with the pre launch trip through the subway every time but for mind that's part of the ride as opposed to lining up in a queue for x amount of time only to then once reached the end of the queue to then have to enter another room to watch a video before finally experiencing the ride.

Apologies to people who grew up with this style of pre shows for rides as the norm as I never got to experience the parks until a few years ago but just my 2c on the (non-existant) issue

This is the fault with Bermuda's pre-show. It was a good pre-show, but if it grates on you with repeated viewings, it doesn't work. It was great at telling the story, but it has to be enjoyable regardless of the number of times you see it.

(as mentioned though - you were still queueing - so it was designed to 'occupy' some of that queue time)

I'm thinking Mystic Manor's pre-show (which is totally animatronic and projection - no live actors), which must be watched regardless of queue. For those that haven't seen that, then ToT in Disney - just a video, short, sharp, scene setting. Both of these cannot be skipped, both of these i've had to endure with an empty queue and unoccupied ride operators ahead, but there was no 'impatience' to just 'get on with it' like I felt when queueing for Bermuda.

I'm not saying it's a bad preshow, and it does tell the story very well - for the budget it was probably the best they could do and they do it well for a single ride - but re-rides are where it falls down.

Just my opinion.

On 25/03/2016 at 11:54 PM, joz said:

I miss the old Jamboree show.  Good video though, there is footage of the original incarnation of the show floating around, but that's the first time I've seen the second version anywhere, and obviously it's the second version I'm more familiar with. 

Also, it closed about 16 years ago, so hands up anyone who had no idea that Dreamworld used to have a musical animatronic show?

the australian country jamboree closed in late 2001 and yes its my most missed part of the dreamworld i grew up with as a kid

Came across another video of Dreamworld from the late 90's which had a few of the old elements, such as the skyway, paddlesteamer, old vintage cars location, Avalanche mountain etc. but also features a lot of new ones. It also shows the original ToT entrance (where the Madagascar rollercoaster now stands) :

On a side note, I just ordered a video capture card for my laptop today, which should arrive by the end of this week. So I will convert and upload my old 1995 Dreamworld home video as soon as it does :)

9 minutes ago, iwerks said:

My Fox Studios Backlot footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVwWnYslgok

I also really enjoyed all those VHS tapes that the parks used to sell back in the 90s.  I collected a bunch from Disneyland, Disney World, USH, Disneyland Paris and, of course, Movie World.

Wow. The only thing I remember from FSB was the Titanic, and the only thing I remember from that was part of the inside

8 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

Wow. The only thing I remember from FSB was the Titanic, and the only thing I remember from that was part of the inside

Because that's pretty much all there was? Yeah, I remember the boarding and the miniature of the ship. Some people went past the engines and the lucky ones got to the life rafts - and just when you thought a ride was about to begin, they yelled 'cut!' 

A little bit off topic but can't be bothered reviving an old thread when it sort of fits here...

Does anyone still have the old Music from Main Street CD that MW sold years ago?  Have been going through my collection adding music to the computer and since this thread started have been keeping an eye out for it with no luck.

29 minutes ago, downunder said:

I never went to Fox Studios, but wasn't the current Luna Park Sydney Wild Mouse there (rcdb says so)?

I believe it was lent to the RAS for the Easter Show (which at the time was held around that area) so it may have stayed at Fox Studios for a while, but then went back to Luna Park where it operates today.

^Was Rainbow the Falling Star ride? I believe that was at Homebush for a while, though I haven't been to the Easter Show in a long time (I only went because I was seeing the Chilli Peppers at Superdome that night), but the last time I was there I did I ride it, very cool ride.

A Falling Star would be cool at Luna Park Sydney, and while they're at it, bring in a Hurricane and a Zipper...and an Intamin Strata Coaster (ok just kidding about that last one).

5 hours ago, Wyncenuros said:

A little bit off topic but can't be bothered reviving an old thread when it sort of fits here...

Does anyone still have the old Music from Main Street CD that MW sold years ago?  Have been going through my collection adding music to the computer and since this thread started have been keeping an eye out for it with no luck.

I have this, along with a MW souvenir vhs that I have never seen.

382359_10151263128411867_11369453_n.jpg

538303_10151263106241867_354817617_n-1.jpg