Old video footage of our Aussie theme parks in 80's/90's

Probably a bit too 'new" for this thread but does anyone know of any footage from the Hairspray show at movie world. I assume it was about 2007 (to promote the movie) Already had a search on youtube. Found footage of a Little Shop of Horror performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSIddtyNmg8&list=PLDYYHy4jGzQH8eLUZCI5-qht2vUYH5gKF&index=33

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, AlexB said:

Whilst I love what the roof has permitted the park to do - Main Street looks so much better without it!

I really disliked the roof for a long time until I realised how much better it was for night events.

On 1 May 2016 at 6:58 PM, T-bone said:

Definitely Dreamworld near its peak right there, sans the embarrassing theme song and circus.

In terms of operational ability etc it's fantastic. I love what it has allowed them to do - but the aesthetics - the 'escaping from everydayland' - the feeling of walking through a street that is set somewhere in yesteryear, and feeling like you're on a film set... thats the part that the roof has affected, and is the only reason I dislike it.

I have a love/hate relationship with the roof. I love what it has allowed the park to do and what they can do with it/hang from the roof. However I much preferred the atmosphere the park had without it and all the massive trees that lined Main Street.

I feel the same about the video screen. It allows people to see what's going on all over Main Street, but I don't like how you can no longer see the Daily Planet building properly. 

See as a kid, I found the park really bland and boring.  To me it didn't become a worthwhile day out until Scooby Doo opened.  If you could somehow make it that the park had all the attractions that were there when Superman opened, as well as Gremlins, the Studio Tour and maybe Maverick then you'd have a well rounded full day park.  Movie World seemed to do a strange jump from being far to dull and family based to be any real fun when it opened, to having almost nothing for families today.  To me it was never a 'magical' park, because although it was well executed, it didn't create an interesting sense of place.  

Here's an example, at Dreamworld there was the PaddleSteamer, when you got on that as a kid, that was like an epic journey into the middle of the bush.  There was no Tower of Terror giving you a reference point, it was just an expedition out into the bush.  Same thing with how Gold Rush Country created the feeling of an old mining town, and then the European feel of Village.  More than that, Dreamworld (and Sea World) were big parks that you explored and found things.

Movie World was just a small, fairly generic Main Street with 2 dead ends with not much to do in either.  The individual attractions were great, but the park felt so boring and sterile.  It's weird trying to put into words what I thought as a kid, but I vividly remember that feeling of getting to where the Western Action Show was and going 'oh that's the whole place, there's really nothing to it'.  I liked Western Town because it at least created a sense of place, but the rest of it was just bleh to me.  

I remember how boring Movie World was when it opened, thats why it always makes me laugh when people say how good and magical Movie World was, and act like the roof somehow ruined it.  I think the park is better than it was when I went as a kid, but it's still a small park.  I like the fact it has more thrill rides now than it used to, I just wish they could just have another genuine family ride, another show and fix up WB Kids Land just to round the park's line up out a bit better.