Old video footage of our Aussie theme parks in 80's/90's

@JessicajealousyI think that was for the remote boats in village green but can't be sure.

map5.thumb.JPG.d4530028fe01d1eddd9bebf162d01a6d.JPG

I always thought I was mad but when DW first opened I had a picture in my head of my older sister riding an Umbrella ride in the same location of the enterprise.  Going back through old maps I think I have found it.

map1.thumb.JPG.c9bbf2b60e70fc191f7587e7a0bf4a7d.JPG

An example of the ride only.

unbreller.thumb.jpg.960764ff2a902bf75017ad04f2791e33.jpg

Edited by YLFATEEKS

The umbrella ride you are referring to is the 'Supertrooper' - one of my all time fave flats. Alas thus never made it to DW. The ride you are referring to on the map is the Zumer - as known formally -  the chair swing ride that today resides with Puss in boots and os one of the very few remaining original attractions.

Hahahahahahahahaha I am old enough to remember back that far? It was definately the Zumer. My brother and I use to swing the chairs back and forth raising you higher and higher. Rarely did we get in trouble for doing that back in the day hehe

I would certainly hope the chains and other pieces have been replaced a few times over it's lifetime. When considering ages of such rides, consider the old Waveswinger at Magic Mountain that later went on to Wonderland and still operating on the circuit today

I just can't get it out of my head.  This is what I remember.  I went to DW within the first month of DW opening.  I thought my older sister rode some ride that looked like the Supertrooper.  We went back that year but then again maybe not for 6 months and the ride was gone.  Maybe the ride was a traveling ride that DW rented for the opening.  I just don’t know.

6 hours ago, MickeyD said:

The ride you are referring to on the map is the Zumer...one of the very few remaining original attractions.

Didn't Zumer open in 1982 when Country Fair formally opened? As an opening day park map (which list rides/attractions that did not open until 1982) does not even list Zumer & the park map @YLFATEEKS linked to is a 1982 park map (though I do agree the ride they refer to in that park map is Zumer).

This 1983 park map also shows the Enterprise & Zumer were in separate locations so there was enough room for a temporary Supertrooper to be placed there in the park's 1st year of operation.

That area was where Dreamworld's Casey Jr. circus train knock off was. When Tower of Terror was built it took up some of that ride's land so they pulled it out and put in Creature Cruise with the land that was left, the entrance to which was in the area across from the Dodgems are (it wasn't directly across the path, but wasn't far away either, know what I mean?)

Creature Cruise was something I completely forgot about until you mentioned it, very weird attraction now that I think back on it, at the time it was just dull and underwhelming but in hindsight it didn't really fit with the park at all, felt like something you might find at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary or worse, not Dreamworld.

Are there any remnants of Creature Cruise/walk? If they all these "fabulous" handmade animals, surely they would re-used them in other areas of the park? Or was it all scrapped completely?

Thank's for clearing up the "random water" section - I remember the remote controlled boats being opposite the emporium when it was Nickelodeon. Have they since gone?

8 hours ago, Jessicajealousy said:

...I remember the remote controlled boats being opposite the emporium when it was Nickelodeon. Have they since gone?

I think they were removed when Dreamworks Experience was under construction. The entrance to the Madagascar Madness area of the Dreamworks Experience replaced it.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone I didn't want to start a new topic and I think this thread was the closest  fitting for my questions 

A: does anyone remember in the 80s and 90s  the avalanche ride having a yhetti with white fur with red glowing eyes inside the mountain 

B: a ride operator once told me the avalanche also went in a reverse cycle  when it first opened but international tourists didn't understand and got out in between change of cycles and so they stopped it  going backwards does anyone remember it going in reverse? 

C: when It got removed for pandamonium did it get sold and if so where is it now? 

D: was the speed purposely reduced when it was converted to angry beavers spooty spin? 

Edited by Themeparkfan

29 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

It went backwards as far as I remember. The operators reasoning sounds ridiculous. 

Yeah the operator said when it stopped before starting up again to go backwards non English speaking tourists would not understand the English announcement that the ride was going to go in reverse  think the ride is over and Start getting out of their cars before the reverse cycle began