Old video footage of our Aussie theme parks in 80's/90's

17 minutes ago, JeffreyMoore said:

around what year was that - miami pizza hut closed in 2006

only just noticed there was once a pizza hut dine in ouside of carrara markets does anyone here remember going there

Used to be Dine-ins everywhere. Only Kirra left on the coast, though rumours that PH may revisit dine-in's in the future 

Just now, Brad2912 said:

Used to be Dine-ins everywhere. Only Kirra left on the coast, though rumours that PH may revisit dine-in's in the future 

yes they are considering opening some new dine in's

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/pizza-hut-goes-retro-with-dinein-stores-poised-to-make-a-comeback/news-story/d6a08037b21311da8643a546c3e000bf

there were 6 dine in pizza huts on the gold coast

southport - closed 2000

surfer's paradise - closed 2010

miami - closed 2006

carrara - closed !

robina - closed 2007

kirra beach - closed in july 2016 - reopened in august 2016 under new ownership

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some news footage from ITN, the Seven Network & the Nine Network:

Thursday the 23rd of January 1997: Dreamworld's Tower Of Terror opening: http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist/RTV/1997/01/23/701230023/

Wednesday the 7th of April 1999: Wonderland Sydney's Bush Beast & Triple M's Whirl Till You Hurlhttp://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist/RTV/1999/04/07/904040036/

Great find @Jamberoo Fan, especially for TOT. I never got to ride the original version of it, or never saw the ride before the queue system was changed. Never released how high the car used to go, that actually shocked me. Did the restraint system only change when the car was reversed? And was the skull moved, because I can't figure out how the entry worked because of the underpass now between TI and ABC Kids World. Was the queue system changed completely at some point, or just slightly modified?

Skull used to be on the opposite side leading towards the current dreamworks area. if you consider the queue, and the first section is white fridge walls, and the second is toxic underground tunnel - the entrance (and skull) used to be where the toxic underground tunnel started.

Restraints changed when the car was changed.

5 hours ago, Zanstabar said:

I've always heard people talking about how high it used to get but never really believed that it would have scaled 80% of the tower. If only we could get that same experience today :(

Just go to SFMM, theirs does that height on a consistent basis. Seen it kiss the brakes at the top with a single person on it.

Common sense tells me the fact that our TOT only makes it to about the "F" comes down to operational cost. I have no doubt the ride is (or at least once was) capable of launching all the way up the Tower however necessitating a considerably higher power output to each Launch. The Park Operator's could perhaps argue that the overall ride experience isn't that greatly affected whilst saving big $$$ on it's operation, tbh I would tend to agree with this way of thinking. That said, I wonder how much benefit covering the Launch tunnel in solar panels would make? If it was still possible to launch the ride almost to the top I would love to see it happen on busier days. Alas, I think this was done away with completely once ToT2 began operating.

@themagician, in addition to what @AlexB has said, the old Skull entry was between where Pandamonium and Gingy's are, there's a squirting-water-jet-thingy area there now.

As for ToT, there was two elevators leading into the "wedge" shaped queue room that's now got a switchback queue, red floor and silver walls. You were sorted into car groups before going into one of the elevators, one went up as the other came back down. Similar to the one that takes you down to the shop after the ride. (I've not been in a few years, that elevator's still there, right?)

If you watch THIS video, at 1:40 you see two doors with yellow sticker on the right before the stairs, these are the elevator doors. In Richard's writeup in September 2010, he posts a pic of the exit of one of the elevators.

When in the "wedge" room you lined up against a wall and were given instructions by a ride op, before moving into the room before the ride's doors.

I'm thinking that meant there were at least 4 staff on ToT, probably 5.

- Elevator sorter.

- Wedge room greeter / person who put you into room with footprints before ride.

- 2 Ride Ops.

- Possible entry person at Skull to measure kids height etc.

Edited by Glubbo

Thanks for posting Loki. They did publish it last thursday ( 1:07pm February 2, 2017 ) and I saw it on the Wonderland History group over the weekend, but didn't have an opportunity to read it.

The author seems to have some genuine interest in the topic - its a shame they didn't dig further as there are a few other attractions they could have discussed as well.

Hi!

I;ve been spending some time looking at the theme parks before I was born (1993) just to see how much they have changed before I first visited in 1999. I'm looking at an image from Dreamworld in 1991 - can someone tell me what the water area is here on the map? I believe it to be in the Kennyland/Gum Tree Gully area (near the Avalanche). I don't remember ever having seen it before, so maybe it was removed before I ever went there?

Thanks!

dreamworld 1991.pdf