Man hospitalised after falling out of Dreamworld Log Ride

I am thinking the same! I remember when the media was claiming that the Buzzsaw was closing "indefinitely" after its restraint layer failure last year, yet it was only closed for a few weeks. 

Clickbait at its finest, it seems! And I have told them as such lol. Still hasn't stopped a massive uproar in their comments, though... 

1 minute ago, themagician said:

You click on the article and it then doesn't say anywhere that it is closing for good. It just says closes down, which in my opinion doesn't mean closes for good. It has closed down for a couple of days, while DW investigate. This isn't the end of the ride.

You know what the term "clickbait" means, right? 

1 hour ago, skeetafly said:

If skeet had his way he would time travel and un-invent the internet.

How dare you even mention something like that you blasphemer.

1 hour ago, OceanGirl said:

The heck? Someone decided to overreact.

Good clickbait though, 10/10 on the clickbait-o-metre

Just got a message from a friend telling my about how the log ride is going to be close forever because they read a headline on Facebook. The real kicker here is that they mentioned they didn't even read the article. Can't say I'm too impressed.

I find the way they write these articles so stupid. There's plenty of sensationalism, and just downright mis-information. Why on Earth would you make the headline "...Closes for Good" when you known damn well, and even report about, how it's going to be an indefinite closure? 

1 hour ago, Slick said:

Sensationalism makes my blood boil. This is what happens when you employ a 15 year old work experience kid in your multi-million dollar company to write articles because his CV says "he's wicked awesome at Facebook and Wordpress." Good work SeaFM/B105/clickbaiters.

I'm certain that a major media outlet in Australia wouldn't just dump the responsibility of writing articles for a kid in work experience. Also, I really want to now see a resume where someone has "Hella mad skillz at blogging, yo" and actually gained proper employment in the field.

27 minutes ago, Zanstabar said:

I'm certain that a major media outlet in Australia wouldn't just dump the responsibility of writing articles for a kid in work experience. Also, I really want to now see a resume where someone has "Hella mad skillz at blogging, yo" and actually gained proper employment in the field.

You my friend should look into how "major media outlets" syndicate and republish content then, and understand that most writers, particularly half decent ones, get paid cents to the dollar for original content, hence how dribble like this happens in the first place.

31 minutes ago, OceanGirl said:

I know, and now Dreamworld's FB page has been bombarded with "Save the log ride" posts over the past few hours. Seems the Austereo Network has created a mass panic with their sensationalist headlines :rolleyes: :unsure::blink:

Just had a look, and there are so many. It's crazy. But I wonder how many people read the article. Or just checked the DW website, where it says it will open in a couple of days. This could change, but I can't imagine it being overly long. It wasn't a ride error, so there shouldn't been any major issues.

Edited by themagician

the question I'm asking is why no one is bothering to check the maintenance page before they post? It's not rocket science

and if Dreamworld was closing the attraction permanently, wouldn't they made an announcement already on their Facebook page? but at the same time they didn't make an announcement that the KH laser tag was getting retired.. 

Edited by The_Ninja_59

@Slick @reanimated35 So from what I've read, clickbait articles such as the one from Austereo about the Log Ride exist as a method to make a quick buck by exploiting the psychology behind human curiosity, rather than publishing an article with actual journalistic integrity?

You'll have to excuse me if I'm not too well informed on this area. It's not something that I really research that much, if at all. 

13 minutes ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

the question I'm asking is why no one is bothering to check the maintenance page before they post? It's not rocket science

and if Dreamworld was closing the attraction permanently, wouldn't they made an announcement already on their Facebook page? 

You'd think so. But then let's not forget what happened with the Buzzsaw drama (or lack thereof) last year. Dreamworld kept changing the maintenance dates and extending them every time the ride was due to be reopened. So it may very well happen again this time round with the Log Ride.

Remember how the Buzzsaw also got similar treatment from the media back then, sensationalised headlines about how it was closed "indefinitely" and giving people the impression it was dangerous and may not reopen at all. Now it's the log ride's turn to cop the same thing, apparently -_-

On another note, from that thread... omg, the irony!!! :huh::huh::huh:

Edited by OceanGirl

18 minutes ago, Zanstabar said:

@Slick @reanimated35 So from what I've read, clickbait articles such as the one from Austereo about the Log Ride exist as a method to make a quick buck by exploiting the psychology behind human curiosity, rather than publishing an article with actual journalistic integrity?

You'll have to excuse me if I'm not too well informed on this area. It's not something that I really research that much, if at all. 

Clickbaiting in the media sense is slightly different. However it can still generate ad revenue for them. 

Take this small test. Which would you more likely click on? 

A - "Rollercoaster Stops Mid-ride Leaving Riders Trapped for Hours"

B - "Riders Hanging Seconds From Death as Disaster Strikes Gold Coast Themepark"

Or a more tame example:

A - "Idiot enters restricted area of gold coast themepark to take photos."

B - "Major Security Incident at Gold Coast Themepark"

1 minute ago, OceanGirl said:

You'd think so. But then let's not forget what happened with the Buzzsaw drama (or lack thereof) last year. Dreamworld kept changing the maintenance dates and extending them every time the ride was due to be reopened. So it may very well happen again this time round with the Log Ride.

Remember how the Buzzsaw also got similar treatment from the media back then, sensationalised headlines about how it was closed "indefinitely" and giving people the impression it was dangerous and may not reopen at all. Now it's the log ride's turn to cop the same thing, apparently -_-

I remember the Buzzsaw wasmy there are an issue with the harness that caused to it o be shut down? I remeber someone at the Screamworld back in April last year saying, "Hey isn't the Buzzsaw closed down permanently?" pesky media outlets ?

I think Movie World is happy at the moment that they are not not attacked by media.

I also love the fact how no one was complaining about Buzzsaw closing down, but a shit ton of people are complaining about a ride that's reopening in two days time?! what's wrong with this generation?