Man hospitalised after falling out of Dreamworld Log Ride

50 minutes ago, Zanstabar said:

@Slick @reanimated35 So from what I've read, clickbait articles such as the one from Austereo about the Log Ride exist as a method to make a quick buck by exploiting the psychology behind human curiosity, rather than publishing an article with actual journalistic integrity?

You'll have to excuse me if I'm not too well informed on this area. It's not something that I really research that much, if at all. 

You pretty much nailed it in my mind. With all due respect to the Austereo network, they're an entertainment company, not a news company, and so they report what happens with as much journalistic integrity as news.com.au.

DW have responded to all the posts on FB saying: 

'Hi, we have updated our page with an approximate date, to let visitors know that it will be closed while we conduct a full safety review. We will continue to update our website with information and dates, as we have it. Thank you for the interest and support.'

I checked their website again, and the reopening day has changed to Thursday.

Lol I noticed that too, Magician. Went back to SeaFM's page to see if there were any responses to my comments on there, and couldn't find the original post anywhere.

Bloody Austereo network have a lot to answer for, causing all this unnecessary panic ?

Dreamworld have piped up this morning and added one extra day of maintenance for the ride, whilst confirming to everyone that it will be reopening. 

11 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

A couple of other news feeds have posted the story today, but I'm reading a lot of comments saying the guy had a disability, and his carer who was at the park with him did not go on the ride with him

If this is true, its going to make a lot of people feel bad after some of the comments I had read.

31 minutes ago, themagician said:

If this is true, its going to make a lot of people feel bad after some of the comments I had read.

Why does it matter if the person had a disability?  If he stood up he still did the wrong thing.  For 35 years people with disabilities have ridden the Log Ride without falling out. 

Edited by skeetafly

^That is true, but we don't know the disability, and some disabilities do have major effects on people and the way they think. So this man, may have not known what he was doing to a certain extent. But in that case, the carer should have been on the ride with him. But in the end we can't make assumptions, unless a statement is made.

19 minutes ago, themagician said:

^That is true, but we don't know the disability, and some disabilities do have major effects on people and the way they think. So this man, may have not known what he was doing to a certain extent. But in that case, the carer should have been on the ride with him. But in the end we can't make assumptions, unless a statement is made.

The problem with the word disability is the word is overused.   I hate the word really but as most people know I don’t believe in political correctness.  I prefer people to say what they think.   Funny thing is the video that was only posted up a little while ago about DW being to tuff of disabilities. 

Edited by skeetafly

I'm not going to feel bad for saying he should be responsible for the costs involved in his stupidity. I'm tired of the political correctness movement, You can't in one breath say that we should treat disabled (or whatever word we are allowed to use this month) the same as anyone else, and then in the next say they shouldn't be responsible for any of their actions because they are disabled...

If DW had said he couldn't ride because of his disability there would have been an uproar about that too, just like that stupid video the other month...

Edited by djrappa

Also dislike the serious PC movement, some of it makes sense like saying AIDS instead of GRIDS or STI instead of STD, but most of it is completely unnecessary like the trend putting white female or black male leads in films just for political correctness for the last few years (already has ruined Star Wars and several other films and franchises).

4 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Also dislike the serious PC movement, some of it makes sense like saying AIDS instead of GRIDS or STI instead of STD, but most of it is completely unnecessary like the trend putting white female or black male leads in films just for political correctness for the last few years (already has ruined Star Wars and several other films and franchises).

Really on the Star Wars front? I watched it and didn't give two hoots that one of the leads was black, and the existence of non-clone Storm Troopers was explained away.

In any case, if I'm to assume that this person stood up on the ride, then we have to ask if he is in the right mind. If he has some form of disability, he may not have been. Not his fault if that's the case. In that case, it's the fault of his carer for not supervising him enough. It may also be that DW is at fault for letting him on the ride, but that's another case.

If the person WAS in the right mind then they are definitely stupid and at fault.

Ultimately it comes down to who can be responsible. I could take my two-year-old son on the ride, and he understands most instructions and normally behaves himself, but he'd probably be quite excited and want to get out or stand up or something. I couldn't trust him, therefore I would be responsible and I would have to ride with him. Similar story for some people with some disabilities - the person in question could not be trusted, so there would have to be a person to take care and responsibility.

7 hours ago, themagician said:

You're right. I do feel bad. I'd been blaming one idiot all along, now if it turns out he had a support person with him who let him on the ride alone, I have two people to call stupid. 

6 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

20 minutes ago, Jakev8 said:

cd36e276a13b4d72f4ab82c44181a882.jpg

C'mon Jake, it's not like you could expect much more from someone with trump as they profile pic. 

4 hours ago, Jakev8 said:

haha i never even took notice of that, explains a lot of the "bullshit" that he's always posting now:lol:

Honestly, I'm not all that bad with bullshit these days :P 

5 hours ago, djmcbell said:

Really on the Star Wars front? I watched it and didn't give two hoots that one of the leads was black, and the existence of non-clone Storm Troopers was explained away.

If you've watched VII and have watched the Rogue One trailer, then you'll know Disney is going full serious with being PC by putting female leads. They're only doing it to be PC, Disney don't give two shits about equal rights, it's just for PC points.