Luna Park Sydney confirms Tango Train closure

Jobe

It could have as I have not been to the park in a while. But I know ( as a former worker ) that the mural used to look different and never had any "war" aircraft on it like the spitfire plane you see.

Maybe they have halted works until the ride is here or something. I know the old UFO pad is clear of anything. I suppose it is just a wait and see what happens event like its been already.

Guys we discussed this in August last year,

And the post below in the same thread shows photos of the same murals were there since January of last year (and apparently before christmas:

On 10/1/2015 at 6:14 PM, Mr Me said:

Here is some photos of the decals

I also found some fences with camo patterns on them around back but i couldn't get any photos.

IMG_0425_zps680277c6.jpgIMG_0426_zpsec89199a.jpg

Yeah there is no movement on this site at all. As I mentioned in previous posts earlier, in this pic you can see the LPS offices and staff areas at the back of both this site and the Tango train. This is what I believe will make replacing the Tango Train tricky- the available space.

The park have themselves confirmed that the Flying Saucer site is being redeveloped but at a much later date.

I believe the mural was changed after the Flying Saucer had been removed, as it was utilised for a New Years Eve function and fireworks viewing point.

19 hours ago, joz said:

Is there much scope for moving something that's already at Luna Park into the space to create a big plot of land elsewhere?

To be honest, there is not really a lot of options. The biggest land space they have to accommodate rides is of course Maloney's Corner behind Coney Island. This would be the most obvious choice to install a new coaster or attraction. Of course , this depends on the size of the coaster installed and where they could relocate the other rides that may be displaced by this coaster.

The only real options that I could see are:

• Move the Tumblebug to the Flying Saucer site ( that's on the assumption that this space will be able to accommodate this large ride). This then would leave the space where the Tumblebug currently resides for another attraction- this space could be big enough to fit in a new compact coaster. This is currently vastly under utilised space by LPS and if they do not install another coaster here, could easily fit 2 medium sized flats.
  • There is an area that is currently an open space environment that sits above the ticket office and the car park entrance. It is currently a green area but it could be converted to a kids ride area with access to the park below coming down near where the Light House stands. This then would free up more space in Maloney's Corner to develop into new attractions.

Luna aerial 2005.jpg

The above pic, whilst not a great resolution, is from 2005. It shows the relative position of the offices behind the Flying Saucer site and the Tango Train. A coaster that runs parallel behind Coney Island is of course a possibility and depending on the size, would not displace the Moon Ranger or Spider.

Luna Park overview 1995.jpg

Here in this 1995 pic, it shows exactly how much real estate the Big Top actually takes up, starting from the end of the Tango and adjoining the Big Dipper entrance.

Tumblebug Facade.jpgSpider Facade 1995.jpg

For mine, a real positive step would be to re-install the ride facades that were present from the '95 incarnation. They gave the park an old world feel and gave the rides a unique and distinctive look.

The possibility of LPS getting another large coaster, let alone ANY coaster, is fairly slim IMHO. There are plenty of compacts out there that of course could remain a distinct possibility and given some creative thinking, could feature in LPS's future. As always, I have my fingers crossed! :)

• Like 1

I cannot see "Tumble Bug" lasting much longer. It was built I believe in the late 70's and in fact is the oldest ride on site I am lead to be hold that has not been modified in any way for operational use. I also think it would not go down to the old UFO site at all.

Maybe the kids rides all move kind of into one small area, like the currently tumble bug space. Might free up some room out the back and they might even re arrange malonys corner.

But as for the old UFO site I have no real idea as to what they could do. Stair access is already in place and it is a decent area but the tumble bug I think sits on a bigger area.

11 minutes ago, StingRay said:

I cannot see "Tumble Bug" lasting much longer. It was built I believe in the late 70's and in fact is the oldest ride on site I am lead to be hold that has not been modified in any way for operational use. I also think it would not go down to the old UFO site at all.

Maybe the kids rides all move kind of into one small area, like the currently tumble bug space. Might free up some room out the back and they might even re arrange malonys corner.

But as for the old UFO site I have no real idea as to what they could do. Stair access is already in place and it is a decent area but the tumble bug I think sits on a bigger area.

On the LPS wikipedia page, it says Tumble Bug was a 1988 model of the Huss Troika, and like other current LPS rides was originally at World Expo Park. Supposedly, Wittingslow bought the rides after Expo shut down and correct me if I'm wrong but much of them toured around Australia during the early 1990's before settling at LPS. Ranger was actually at LPM for several years before it moved to LPS. Tango was the oldest ride on site having been at the park during the 1980's incarnation.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

Yes the Trokia was at World Expo. But from a talk some years ago ( around 2005 ) I am sure one of the guys who helped move it and look after it said before it came to Australia it ran in the UK for several years but never ran much due to issues.

It could have been a lie I do not know. But I know it has showed its age and used to have a few issues years ago. You can tell its got a hydraulic issue because one "arm" raises into the air ever so slow after the others are already in the air.

3 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Ranger was actually at LPM for several years before it moved to LPS. 

Interesting. Whats your source? To my knowledge, Ranger came to LPS in the 1995 incarnation with Wittingslow after the demise of the World Expo park. I have never heard it being associated with LPM.

3 hours ago, StingRay said:

I would hardly describe the Tumblebug site as being "small" . It is currently only half utilised and could fit a modern compact coaster. Any number of variants from Maurer Sohne , Zamperla or even a EL Loco would be a welcome addition in this space.

3 hours ago, StingRay said:

You may be right here. Tumblebug MAY be to large to be accommodated on the Flying Saucer site, However, there are plenty of flats such as a new Enterprise or any number of choices from the Zamperla catalogue that would fit the bill. In fact, i feel that a Zamperla Air Race would  be the perfect fit in this position

2 hours ago, StingRay said:

Yes the Trokia was at World Expo. But from a talk some years ago ( around 2005 ) I am sure one of the guys who helped move it and look after it said before it came to Australia it ran in the UK for several years but never ran much due to issues.

Very interesting info. This is also the first I have ever heard of this. Of course , a representative from Wittingslow may be able to confirm or deny this claim. It could definitely be true though. Huss Troika's were first manufactured in the early '70's so the timeline for the ride certainly makes it feasible.

Edited by Jobe

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

Interesting. Whats your source? To my knowledge, Ranger came to LPS in the 1995 incarnation with Wittingslow after the demise of the World Expo park. I have never heard it being associated with LPM.

It it listed on the LPM Wikipedia page (Former Rides) as operating between 1992 and 1993, as well as being mentioned several times on the truly dead (but reputable) Australian Amusement Fanatics board:

Des sent Ranger to Luna Park Melbourne for 2 year lease then travel for short before it was sent to Luna Park Sydney.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

I wouldn't be surprised if this has been posted on this site before, but surely a really compact eurofighter like Iron Shark would be a perfect addition to Luna Park.

I'm not 100% sure on the exact restrictions the park has, but surely noise wouldn't be an issue with such a ride, it's absolutely silent.

Alternatively, I would demolish the whole park (except Coney Island, that can stay) and put a B&M Hyper Coaster in its place. :P

Edited by AllegroCrab

The ride may be dead silent, but it's not the machine noise that has upset the residents in the past - it was the screams from the riders.

The difference with the residents now is that there is established case law on the site. Future litigation is likely to fall in favour of the park.

On 5/20/2016 at 7:30 PM, XxMrYoshixX said:

it listed on the LPM Wikipedia page (Former Rides) as operating between 1992 and 1993, as well as being mentioned several times on the truly dead (but reputable) Australian Amusement Fanatics board:

Excellent- thanks for that. I have never heard that info regarding Ranger being at LPM before.

Hahah i know what you mean about the AAF. That place needs a defibrillator!!

On 5/22/2016 at 7:20 AM, AlexB said:

The ride may be dead silent, but it's not the machine noise that has upset the residents in the past - it was the screams from the riders.

The difference with the residents now is that there is established case law on the site. Future litigation is likely to fall in favour of the park.

Absolutely true AlexB. Here is the Luna Park site act (noise amendment) that was enacted in 2005. It now covers the screams of patrons as NOT constituting noise pollution, particularly in this section:

No criminal proceedings, no civil proceedings (whether at law or in equity) and no noise abatement action may be taken against any person with respect to the emission of noise from the Luna Park site. (2) The emission of noise from the Luna Park site does not constitute a public or private nuisance.

Luna park Site ammendment (noise control).pdf

In other LPS news, it appears that Mystery Manor is set to stay in the park for at least the medium term.In the latest park map , Mystery Manor has been made it on the map as a permanent attraction. The removal of Tango and the moniker of " there is magic taking place here" have also been added.

2016-park-map-term-mobile-zoom.jpg

I know this has probably been mentioned before, but now that the Tango Train and Flying Saucer has been removed, the park looks empty. there is now only 3 possibly 5 'thrill' rides left, to which most are getting old. I know LPS is a 'family' park but Sydney, and luna Park especially draw in a lot of teens looking for a thrill. Looking back at old videos and pics of LPS's hay day, rides were crammed in every possible spot making the park look alive. I know it ain't gunna happen but I wish LPS would somehow bring that park back or at least add some great thrill rides in the empty spaces to give back a little life to the park. I know LPS has to cater for the younger kids too. But they have many rides too and potentially some room in cony island where they can add a Childs play area. (The unused vintage arcade area that never gets used)

It's true, Luna Park may look a little empty at the moment with both of those attractions gone, however it shouldn't be too long before we get the replacements and the park will look a hell of a lot more full. Luna park is a family park as well, so they will always look to add a mix of family rides and thrill rides. And hopefully, we can see that mix in the 5 year plan.

Edited by Wil_i_am_not

Hey guys, a minor update around the park as I went to one of those "Stand Tall" events at LPS today. Even though the rides were shut today, during the lunch break I got a few glimpses of what is going on around the park.

Tango Train is completely gone, 100% including the queue and facade and a "Magic in Progress" fence surrounds it. I noticed a wallpaper on the office building behind Tango that I didn't recognise (no photo taken, but it was red and white stripes with stars on it), can someone clarify if this was there before? There were no LPS staff on hand to give clues on a potential replacement, however this wallpaper if it is new means LPS are quick in replacing a ride that was only retired last month. No current modifications to the Flying Saucer background however it looks quite faded.

In other news, the Big Dipper facade has been repainted to resemble the original design and has been changed from the blue that they had before, LED's have also been added to the entrance (I don't believe they had these before). It resembles the original Big Dipper facade and also looks like something out of Coney Island. The modification of the entrance gives me some hope that LPS are adding a coaster for the forseeable future, and looks much better than the blue they had before (and prior to that red). If a coaster was to be built, I doubt LPS would look look at a launch coaster such as Superman , if they were going for the Big Dipper aesthetic. It would need to be a traditional lift hill coaster to fit that bill.

20160601_091618_resized.jpg20160601_123040_resized.jpg20160601_122433_resized.jpg

20160601_104329_resized.jpg

I was there the same day and took a pic through the fence. Looks like a new wall and freshly laid bitumen. And damn the rest of the park (including the Big Dipper entrance as you mention) is looking very smart indeed. They are obviously placing an emphasis on the way the park looks, because it is looking fabulous.

image.jpeg

I'd say with the wall and bitumen, they're not preparing the site for any new ride (except a trailer mount temporary attraction). In the off season I foresee a nice set of table and chairs to sit and relax in, or another facility - food carts etc.

If they were bringing a new ride in - the bitumen means its a trailer, and trailer rides usually have their own rear facade.

Thanks for the updates Ranger Dude and Yoshi. Certainly interesting as when I was there the weekend before last, the site had 20 or so large square shaped holes dug, with some metal cages also on site nearby which looked like they were designed to go into the holes for concrete. It looked as though they were doing something!!! I should have taken a photo. Interesting to see what they have in store for this spot come school holidays.