Luna Park Sydney confirms Tango Train closure

Jobe

Excellent pics guys thanks for this!! Its good to hear that the park is looking so good!

9 hours ago, AlexB said:

I'd say with the wall and bitumen, they're not preparing the site for any new ride (except a trailer mount temporary attraction). In the off season I foresee a nice set of table and chairs to sit and relax in, or another facility - food carts etc.

If they were bringing a new ride in - the bitumen means its a trailer, and trailer rides usually have their own rear facade.

Whilst i am not refuting your logic here AlexB I would certainly argue that a trailer mounted ride would not necessarily mean a temporary attraction. Case in point for this is the Moon Ranger, which is of course a travelling ride. This has been a mainstay of the park since 1995. Mobile rides can certainly become permanent attractions- another case in point is LPM's last acquisition the Powersurge, which is also a trailerised version.

This also would contradict everything that the park has communicated with me on the subject of the replacement for Tango- they have definitely stated that it WILL be a  ride and that it will be up and running by the end of the year. It was also confirmed by Brad Loxley , one of the Senior Manager's at LPS that the new ride will be coming from Italy. 

Given this info, I think you are absolutely correct that this new attraction will be a mobile/travelling version of most likely a product from the Zamperla catalogue.

Either way interesting and exciting times for LPS.

Edited by Jobe

On 03/06/2016 at 2:25 PM, Jobe said:

Given this info, I think you are absolutely correct that this new attraction will be a mobile/travelling version of most likely a product from the Zamperla catalogue.

Either way interesting and exciting times for LPS.

Could be a Pinfari. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHpt8k2TPQY

5 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

I fucking hope not. They are terrible rides.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I don't mind them, but the older ones (like Perth's Python Loop) are getting rough.

I was looking for POVs of different models and the only one that didn't seem like a headbanger was the FC80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X3Wxxe1-AM 

Still think a Gerstlauer would be a quieter and cooler addition to LPS.  

I'm hoping for a classic style ride rather than something ultra modern. What I'd really love in the Tango Train space is one of those old school flying chair rides like they had at the park in the 1980's when I was a kid. Not one of those tacky clothesline looking jobs, one of those nicely detailed big ones. I don't think a scream machine type ride would be very well suited to that particular spot (although I do think these type of rides would be good in a refurbished Maloneys Corner area!)

For me the park is all about that classic retro feel, particularly the area between the entry and Coney Island, and that seems to be what they're building on, so here's hoping for another classic ride that's a fitting replacement for the classic Tango Train!

20 hours ago, JulieLovis said:

I'm hoping for a classic style ride rather than something ultra modern. What I'd really love in the Tango Train space is one of those old school flying chair rides like they had at the park in the 1980's when I was a kid. Not one of those tacky clothesline looking jobs, one of those nicely detailed big ones. I don't think a scream machine type ride would be very well suited to that particular spot (although I do think these type of rides would be good in a refurbished Maloneys Corner area!)

For me the park is all about that classic retro feel, particularly the area between the entry and Coney Island, and that seems to be what they're building on, so here's hoping for another classic ride that's a fitting replacement for the classic Tango Train!

Absolutely JulieLovis!! The park needs to retain as much of that retro feel as possible- that is its lasting charm! That's why I would love to see the return of the ride facades back- they can turn a generic ride and lift it into a something unique.

I also think that Maloney's Corner needs renewing and relaunching- its a great space but it could be far better utilised and themed than what it currently is.

Hopefully the new ride will be a winner!! 

Either way its exciting to be talking about a new ride for LPS- hopefully this will also carry over for a great new attraction for their plans for the Flying Saucer site as well.

^A wave swinger would good on the water's edge, swinging out over the water.

Ha get that Fear coaster from the Sydney Easter show a couple of years ago. Oh my gosh, you'd need emergency services on standby for the regular evacs when it's running. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it's kind of a compact carnie version of a Eurofighter.

It's a shame they can't expand to that land on the other side of Maloney's corner.

We've got some action going on.... Spotted a crane, multiple shipping containers, bright red ride-looking parts and work going on at the Tango site while heading over the bridge on my way to work this morning... I did grab my phone and try and snap a couple of quick photos to share, but they didn't turn out great and you can't really see anything through the dirty train window. Might try and get down there later in the week for a closer look.

12 hours ago, Ranger Dude said:

We've got some action going on.... Spotted a crane, multiple shipping containers, bright red ride-looking parts and work going on at the Tango site while heading over the bridge on my way to work this morning... I did grab my phone and try and snap a couple of quick photos to share, but they didn't turn out great and you can't really see anything through the dirty train window. Might try and get down there later in the week for a closer look.

Excellent!! This is interesting news!! A crane? The plot thickens- not too many traveling or temporary attractions would require the use of a crane for construction methinks.

I will also be in Sydney on Tuesday. If i get time I will certainly make a detour to get some pics and inspect the advancement of the site.

2 hours ago, Jobe said:

Excellent!! This is interesting news!! A crane? The plot thickens- not too many traveling or temporary attractions would require the use of a crane for construction methinks.

I will also be in Sydney on Tuesday. If i get time I will certainly make a detour to get some pics and inspect the advancement of the site.

Could it be Pirates Revenge making a come back?

I went over the bridge this morning and I saw on the flying saucer site a red structure in the shape of a circle on the ground. My first thought was one of the Larsen loop type rides that Six Flags tries to pass off as a coaster. Though I'm not sure if they would assemble the loop on the ground and then stand it up - so maybe it's the base for some kind of circular ride. I think this will be known very soon. 

Got a better look this morning. Looks like a red enterprise type structure up where the Flying Saucer ride was, but looks like it's got some kind of theming wrapped around the outside. The plot thickens indeed! Also appears to be some action down at the Tango site. Could we be getting 2 rides???

10 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Could it be Pirates Revenge making a come back?

I seriously doubt that Tim. Pirates revenge is owned and operated by Joylands amusements. They are based in Sydney. They do have a good relationship with LPS but I am sceptical that they would take the ride off the carnival circuit for a semi- permanent gig at this stage. The Xmas holiday period is another matter, though. It would be awesome if LPS DID get their own flume- I reckon that it would be a major hit. We only have to look at the success of the flume at Aussie World for comparison.

2 hours ago, downunder said:

I went over the bridge this morning and I saw on the flying saucer site a red structure in the shape of a circle on the ground. My first thought was one of the Larsen loop type rides that Six Flags tries to pass off as a coaster. Though I'm not sure if they would assemble the loop on the ground and then stand it up - so maybe it's the base for some kind of circular ride. I think this will be known very soon. 

43 minutes ago, Ranger Dude said:

Got a better look this morning. Looks like a red enterprise type structure up where the Flying Saucer ride was, but looks like it's got some kind of theming wrapped around the outside. The plot thickens indeed! Also appears to be some action down at the Tango site. Could we be getting 2 rides???

Excellent spotting guys!! The plot does indeed thicken!! 

Given what LPS has related to me regarding the Flying Saucer site, I don't think that we are getting 2 rides. The Tango Train replacement was verified, however my sources did say that the replacement attraction for the Flying Saucer is going to take a while. Perhaps they are just utilising this space in the erection process? Although this does not stop me from crossing my fingers!!!

^From what I saw on the flying saucer site, it didn't look like something they could easily move from that site down to the tango train site. It would make a lot more sense to do it on the actual tango train site if it is intended for there. I'm not an expert on this, but it would seem practical.

Tempted to wander down at lunchtime and have a closer squiz, but I don't have time today.

On 15/05/2016 at 1:37 PM, Jobe said:

Well you would be incorrect if you ruled out a Disk O' on height.

The Zamperla site lists the Disk O as having a minimum height of 120cm. Dreamworld also has the Shockwave, which is essentally a Disk O' with a longer track, at a 120cm height. Whilst it is true that the travelling Disk O and indeed the Redback at Aussie World currently has a height limit of 130cm, this is imposed by the park and the ride operator collectively. Zamperla lists the manufacturing recommendation height at 120cm, so there is no reason why LPS could not install a Disk O with the height requirement that they are seeking.

I certainly disagree with you on this point, however that is only my opinion. I do offer that Aussie World and countless other parks certainly market their Disk O's as thrill rides and they do offer a thrilling sensation to a point. It is interesting to note that Zamperla market both their Disk O ride offerings as family rides, whilst the Mega Disko sits firmly in the thrill ride bracket.

Since LPS are seeking a ride with broader family appeal that has a lower height limit however, this only strengthens the case for them to be acquiring a Disk O.

As I posted before, and what you have conveniently failed to address, is that I doubt that the footprint left by the Tango Train will be conducive for operation and installation of an Air Race.

The manufacturer of the Music Express ride , Bertazzon, lists  their ride specifications as 18.1 metres length and 17.4 metres in width. I assume that this would be similar across the various ride manufacturers that produce a Music Express variant.

Zamperla lists the Air Race as 23.1 metres in length AND width. Whilst this does not sound like a huge increase in size, it is worth noting that located behind the Tango Train site sits the LPS offices and staff common areas. This does not leave a lot of wiggle room for an increased footprint, especially for a ride as large as the Air Race. Don't get me wrong, I would love an Air Race to be installed at LPS, however, given the size and the nature of the mechanics of the ride, I feel that it would be far better suited to the Flying Saucer site, which still sits unused and empty.

However, if you look at the footprint for an Air Race 6.2, which is far smaller than the standard model and only has a through put of 240 pph, then this certainly could be a contender to fit comfortably within the site.

Given the info that we have at hand  and going by the fact that LPS are seeking a ride with "wider  family appeal" , its my opinion that I do not think that an Air Race fits this brief.

The width and length for the Disk O' are listed 24.7metres and 9.3 metres respectively, and this would stand a far better chance of fitting into the current site footprint.

Of course I am not stating that it WILL definitely be a Disk O, it is merely idle speculation on all our selves at this point. 

What is great is that LPS are moving forward and are actively installing new rides. Hopefully this means, that after the hiccup with the ride DA and protest against the Hair Raiser's installation, they are now firmly back on track with their 5 year plan for renewal of the park's ride offerings.

DA? 

33 minutes ago, AlexB said:

@razza1987 - i love that you're catching up on threads, but please for the love of god edit the quote so only the bit you need is left!

a DA is a Development Application... or Dumbledore's Army... depending on the context.

Is this forum able to be viewed and used via an app? I am used to accessing forums on apps and not on the mobile version in a Web browser on a phone which makes it more difficult. 

Thanks for answering my question though 

I managed to duck into LPS today for a quick look around and to see the progress of the new ride. I can now confirm that they have replace The Tango Train with........ANOTHER Tango Train!! Apologies for the quality, they are off my phone and the pics were taken into the sun, plus LPS was not open today so this was the closest I could get!photo 1 (2).JPG 

photo 2 (2).JPG

From what I could tell, and given that we already know that the ride is from an Italian manufacturer, it looks remarkably similar to this unit from SBF rides.MUSIK EXPRESS (MX511)_SBF rides.jpg

It certainly is a good looking unit but I certainly cannot help but feel a little short changed as I think we were all expecting a new ride. However, the ride is certainly a permanent fixture and would explain why the area needed no preparation.

I also managed to get some pics of the green area above the carpark entrance which I thnk would make an excellent area for LPS kids rides all located in one place. This then would allow a greater use of Maloney's Corner for larger thrill and family rides and allowing greater flexibility with its use. A simple pram friendly ramp from the below Midway could see this part of the park far better utilised.

photo 3 (2).JPG

photo 3 (3).JPGphoto 5.JPG

And finally to complete my small update there is unfortunately nothing going on with the former Flying Saucer site as yet......

photo 1 (3).JPG

Edited by Jobe