Sea World updates 2016

I wanted to post a few updates about Sea World but couldn't find a recent topic for doing so, so I'm starting one ??

Firstly, the old bridge is now completely gone. Stumps have been removed as well. 

20160422_111225.jpg

Pretty sure this has already been spoken of, but meh... new theming popping up around the seal show entrance path,  which is nice! 

20160422_111259.jpg

20160422_111244.jpg

20160422_111354.jpg

20160422_111359.jpg

Seems they are building a new resting area for the pelican enclosure next to the seal show, or at least fixing the old one. 

20160422_111540.jpg

Looks like they are planning to relocate some of the sideshows to underneath dockside tavern whilst the food plaza has its new roof built (hard to see sorry, the sun wasn't my friend today haha) : 

20160422_112008.jpg

Otherwise that's pretty much all that's happening at Sea World right now ?

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking they will be installing a concrete bridge, rather than another wooden bridge, maybe a little wider as well, so when people stop to take photos, feed fish, look at pelicans, then they won't be in the way of moving traffic. And it seems like they are starting preparations for the new roof.

6 hours ago, themagician said:

And it seems like they are starting preparations for the new roof.

Yeah, I've spoken to a couple of my old workmates still currently there, and they have both said that all the food outlets in the plaza will be closed for 3-4 months whilst the roof is installed. They are worrying over hours being cut as a consequence, particularly those of casual workers. Quite a lot of them work in that area, and they can't see them being relocated to other outlets in the meanwhile, as it would cause overstaffing  ???

5 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

How long til a certain facebook page starts calling the bridge a new ride....

.... only a matter of time ???

I'd say the mobiles department will probably help pick up some of the fall, and they still have Dockside in the middle of the park, and the usual outlets down the other ends.

Assuming they can pull off this upgrade before the next school holidays, it shouldn't be too hard since we are heading into off peak winter period now. Still sucks for the workers, though ?

I'm going to say that the reason why the monorails maintenance is so long is because of the roofs construction. So if it's closed until July 31st. Then I'm thinking the roofs construction will be completed just before this date.

Also, SW have added a barrier around CotD, so I'm assuming that it won't have to close during the Jet Sunt show now: (Photo: TPSN)

image.jpeg

Hubby mentioned something when we were there the other day, about reclaimed land having to be left to settle for a number of years before it can be utilised or built on again? This may possibly be the reason why Sea World are leaving it vacant in the meanwhile? If its true, they may have no choice if they have to follow certain council or government rules and regulations, as a large portion of that land has been reclaimed from the lake.

18 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Hubby mentioned something when we were there the other day, about reclaimed land having to be left to settle for a number of years before it can be utilised or built on again? This may possibly be the reason why Sea World are leaving it vacant in the meanwhile? If its true, they may have no choice if they have to follow certain council or government rules and regulations, as a large portion of that land has been reclaimed from the lake.

Yep, pretty sure I recall that being discussed at length before. Not so much a council regulation either, more of a "I don't want to see my million dollar attraction sink into the lake" kind of regulation :P 

Its to allow the fill to settle. The Brisbane Airport put wick drains in theirs so it will settle faster. I know a fair chunk of the Pacific Highway in New South Wales took a long time to build because they were waiting on the fill to settle before they could pave on top of it. It sunk around 5m in the I'm guessing 2 years they had to wait for it.

It's perfectly acceptable to refer to a bitumen topped suface as being "paved" as it refers to the american "pavement" as opposed to "pavers".

"bitumen and asphalt" are actually the same thing - that is a sticky petroleum product used as a binder. Unless you're referring to "asphalt concrete" which is when it's mixed with an aggregate to form a road base.

Search for bitumen on Wiki and you'll be redirected to Asphalt... but without the aggregate to form Asphalt concrete, you aren't getting a road.

3 Things wrong with people are thinking here.

The footings a new ride would never be loaded onto the fill that was added to the site but down to the depth of the natural stiff soil.

You are comparing an airport runaway & a new road to how a building/ride is founded which are 2 different methods.

Think of it this way.  An oilrig as the building.  Waves on the ocean as the soil.  The sea floor as the natural stiff soil. An Engineered will always treat the any fill as the ocean and found the building/ride into the ocean floor.

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Don't get you're knickers in a knot Alex... It was a joke..

I know it was a joke mate - i was just pointing out that the original statement was perfectly acceptable. I love your humor but for many it tends to be taken the wrong way. I'd have probably said the same thing if i'd gotten in first, and probably been pulled up by someone else just as quickly. anyhow... bygones.

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting the roof to go that far. This roof will definitely allow large events to be held. I wonder if any additional food outlets will be added. From the  image of what the area will look like posted back in March, it seems the facades of the stores will be getting a new look.

Im assuming that due to the construction the detour is now to walk through the Nickelodeon area and under the bridge past Vikings Revenge. Can anyone confirm this?

Edited by themagician

25 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

Was that the last of the train stations?

Naa.. There is still a few of the elevated train stations around, they are keeping them to ensure Push doesn't stop visiting...

16 minutes ago, themagician said:

This roof will definitely allow large events to be held.

Was that not one of the key reasons for its construction? 

3 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

Was that not the ONLY reason for it to really be constructed in the first place? The rest of the stuff is just idle benefits.

Exactly what I was going to write but knew I'd have people jump down my throat saying "what about shelter for everyone to eat their lunch outside when it's raining"