Sea World updates 2016

I think @joz summed up my thoughts entirely. I really like the new area, especially how well it seems to improve the "flow" as you walk through the area. The facades and interiors look great, and it is definitely a bigger project than I first assumed.

But I must say, the facades do seem awfully "blocky", and not a huge amount of attention to detail on the exterior facades. Also, while the interiors of the burger bar and coffee shop look GREAT, it still seems a bit "dated" and I'm not sure why (I honestly can't put my finger on it).

Either way, it's a HUGE improvement and I don't think any further works over what it has now would really be seen as beneficial in the eyes of the GP.

I'm not generally a fan of putting large outside areas under huge roofs, but I do understand the benefits of having it undercover, even if it doesn't look very nice. Also can't help but think the facades are really bland and lack details. Hopefully the utility value of this area makes up for how ugly it is.

('ugly' is just imo of course)

The interiors of the buildings do look really nice though.

Edited by AllegroCrab

48 minutes ago, ash.1111 said:

...while the interiors of the burger bar and coffee shop look GREAT, it still seems a bit "dated" and I'm not sure why (I honestly can't put my finger on it).

It's probably because the interiors of the F&B outlets haven't really changed in any meaningful way; they still look very similar to what they did before.  They're nice and generic, which much like the whole area, is fine.

Wow, I'm a little sad to read the negative comments about the new Plaza. But then again, I did expect the usual critique as we all give new rides and attractions when they are added to parks, haha ?

Personally I think it's absolutely amazing... especially when compared to its previous version, which I might add that I also previously worked within for a couple of years, so I knew it pretty damn well. I don't have a problem with the 'simple but affective' approach they have decided to take, the new facades are aesthetically pleasing to me. And I don't (once again, my opinion) really like the idea of a heavily themed eating area. But then again I haven't been to any theme parks overseas, and therefore don't have a bar already set in regards to expectations or comparisons. I can only judge going by the other parks we have here on the Gold Coast.

Honestly I don't think the park is trying to compete or match the standards of anywhere else either, they are just going either what's best for them - a simple, modernised upgrade of a previously tired area - and in this case I think it really works. 

I think Sea World is definitely on the right track with improving their parks' existing areas, especially if it's assisting in providing more shade and shelter to the public. That's something the park has lacked for decades, and also caused big issues on rainy and bad weather days.  

It's likely only a matter of time before the food court up the top is upgraded as well to a similar standard. 

Well done Sea World from me ??

Edited by Theme Park Girl

I checked out the area this morning, and think what SW have done is a major improvement from what was there, allows for better flow of traffic and opens up more opportunities for SW now there is a roof over the area. I agree with some of the comments that have been made, but I don't think they were going for a particular theme as such, but something that was bright, simple and flowed. I think they have done that. That could've done a themed area, to a dock yard for example, but I don't see the need. The plaza isn't exactly in a themed area of the park, but I think follows the feel and design of the park. Well done to SW. Here a just a few pics I took.

IMG_4276.JPG

IMG_4284.JPG

IMG_4286.JPG

IMG_4305.JPG

IMG_4307.JPG

IMG_4315.JPG

IMG_4316.JPG

IMG_4322.JPG

IMG_4325.JPG

IMG_4333.JPG

@Theme Park Girl - Just listened to your video again - did you actually find the wet floor to be slippery? I found it to be quite grippy and easy to walk on. Same goes with the bituman walkway. 

Also looking at the location of that hut, I'm guessing maybe it could be used for animal adventures with the seal meet & greet? 

The one downside I just realised about this place too - when it rains, the monorail will come through potentially dripping water onto certain tables. Might be something they can look at in future with some kind of drip tray under the track? Sure it wouldn't look as sleek, but might be needed. 

19 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

@Theme Park Girl - Just listened to your video again - did you actually find the wet floor to be slippery? I found it to be quite grippy and easy to walk on. Same goes with the bituman walkway. 

Lol yeah. Didn't want to take any chances whilst I was filming lol ☺️

Edited by Theme Park Girl

• 3 weeks later...

Storm has broken down again, "rescue mission" underway...

A ROLLERCOASTER at Sea World on the Gold Coast has stopped mid-ride, trapping thrillseekers.

The rollercoaster riders have been lead off the ride via a staircase built when a problem with the ride previously came to light.

Similar problems have affected the ride, which was opened in December, 2013. In mid-2015 the ride malfunction three times, leaving visitors stranded.

14 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Storm has broken down again, "rescue mission" underway...

A ROLLERCOASTER at Sea World on the Gold Coast has stopped mid-ride, trapping thrillseekers.

The rollercoaster riders have been lead off the ride via a staircase built when a problem with the ride previously came to light.

Similar problems have affected the ride, which was opened in December, 2013. In mid-2015 the ride malfunction three times, leaving visitors stranded.

I love the rescue mission part the best.  Wouldn't be very interesting news if they told the truth.

Assuming the photos I've seen are from today's malfunction (they got '1st' watermarks over them), I think carriages were stopped in 3 places at least - the top of the lift hill, the block brakes at the top of the hill after the 1st drop & the block brakes prior to the main drop. So whatever the problem was it affect a lot of the ride and not just 1 part of the track.

From footage I've seen, they did let 2 carriages continue the course one at a time (in backwards order) as the footage shows only the lift hill carriage left stuck at one point.

Also, I read Nine News reporting that it may be due to the wind. After checking Sea World's webpage on the ride, it does say the "Storm Coaster does not operate in some weather conditions". It was still windy at the time of evacuation so if wind is the reason for it stopping, then it was only right to evacuate instead of waiting it out.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan