Movie World Fright Nights 2016

3 minutes ago, flipp said:

I actually don't get what this means. Am I missing a joke? :c

> References Payday
> Doesn't get Payday reference
> Wat? 

I know there's probably not many other colours that work for a "dark" theme but still allow you to safely see, but after Carnivale and Fright Nights, I'm really getting over the colour purple. 

1 minute ago, reanimated35 said:

> References Payday
> Doesn't get Payday reference
> Wat? 

I know there's probably not many other colours that work for a "dark" theme but still allow you to safely see, but after Carnivale and Fright Nights, I'm really getting over the colour purple. 

I didn't get that you were referencing Payday because I wasn't aware that you knew about it ahaha, thought it was supposed to be some form of insult because I called them out. :P

Also, yeah, purple and green is getting annoying.

No way the lighting scheme should have any overlap between Christmas, Carnivale and Fright Nights. All completely different looks and atmosphere that should be being created. 

Perhaps like some other things it was just an off night still needing some fine tuning. 

I always found with fright nights that less is more. 

3 hours ago, djrappa said:

No way the lighting scheme should have any overlap between Christmas, Carnivale and Fright Nights. All completely different looks and atmosphere that should be being created. 

I don't necessarily think the scheme overlapped at all, I think it was more blue and purple are the best? colours that allow enough light but keep a dark event dark. 

Does anyone with experience in lighting have any ideas of some other colours that might work?

Edited by reanimated35

6 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

Please note, this is unedited footage, it's hand-held footage and no stabilising has been applied as it wouldn't work. There is a bit of shake to it sorry. Sadly the lens I used doesn't have OIS. 

This is straight from the camera and obviously looks best in 1080p. 

It feels so wrong seeing Jason dance like that. :(

I went to Fright Nights last night as a general public member and to say the least, I was not overly impressed but I still had a great time. We arrived at the back around 5:30 and headed straight down Main Street to get a good spot for the opening (once they had let us through) and go straight to Scooby once the had rope dropped. I really enjoyed the opening so if you do get the chance to watch it, you should. Now on to the review of the mazes, keeping in mind it is the first night and there were bound to be teething problems:

The Conjuring 2: We joined the queue line around 6:30 after a quick ride on Scooby to get the adrenaline running. It took approximately 20-30 minutes to get to the front of the maze and don’t be fooled because the queue line goes right through Show stage (if you think once you get through the outdoor switchbacks it’s right at the beginning, you’re wrong). Overall, I really enjoyed this maze, it had a great variety of scares and theming was well done. We re-did this maze at the end of the night and it got even better! I would rate this an 8.5/10.

Friday the 13th: We joined the queue line around 7:00 right after The Conjuring 2. It took approximately 20 minutes to get to the front of the maze. Overall, I thought this maze was just as good as last year, especially when two Jason’s are chasing you throughout the maze (this happened the second time we went through around 9:55). I would rate this maze a 7.5/10.

From Dusk Till Dawn: We joined the queue line around 8:40 after a quick ride on Superman (about a 25 minute wait for the ride). This line went through fairly quickly and was approximately a 20-minute wait. To be honest, I was not overly enthused about this maze. This needed A LOT more scare actors!! There were so many great hiding spots in there for the actors and not once did someone pop out from them. I will say though, the actors looked superb!! This maze has a lot of potential and hope it develops over the season! Overall, I would rate it a 5.5/10.

Wyrmwood: We joined the queue around 9:20 and got the front of the line around 9:40. It felt like it took a century though haha! Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the maze this year, every room had a scare actor if not more in them! The room with the strobes at the beginning was very disorientating but scary at the same time! I would rate this maze a 7.5/10.

I found the Halloween and Gothic Hall precincts quite mediocre and hoped they were better but I really enjoyed the Apparitions Precinct, especially when you’re the only group in there! Also, the Day of the Dead precinct though not scary, it was visually appealing and fun to be in!

So corny, unprofessional and stupid. Can barely even watch that cringe fest. Really takes away from the whole eerie aesthetic that they should be going for. Clearly they are trying to impress the younger generation but common, who is coming up with this shit? How about less shows like that and more like this >

Edited by Richard
Removed video

Just wanna emphasize again, the lighting really was the worst part of Fright Nights for me last year, and although I'm not going until Saturday, I think it'll be the same case this year sadly. :(

27 minutes ago, kujotess said:

So corny, unprofessional and stupid. Can barely even watch that cringe fest. Really takes away from the whole eerie aesthetic that they should be going for. Clearly they are trying to impress the younger generation but common, who is coming up with this shit? How about less shows like that and more like this >

Agreed 100%.

9 hours ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

Priority viewing area for the opening...  Yeah...  No...  Let's shove you here in front of these people...  Thought perhaps they were leading us up to the stage used for the dance during the day for a better point.

Actually now that you mention it, I guess that was one aspect that could be improved on for future nights. I made the mistake of streaming live to my blog whilst we were being herded down main street to be positioned for the parade. Needless to say, the outcome of the live stream was interesting, to say the least ?? Whoops! ?

Also @MaxxTheMonster re. the parking, just do what I always do for these events and park up in the grassed overflow area. It took me literally a couple of minutes to get out from there, just had to wait until some peeps decided to cross the crosswalk and stop the northern flow of traffic, and I was home bound ? 

I guess that would be my other suggestion to MW, to heavily consider bring traffic control back again, if they haven't already got it organised for upcoming nights. Was very surprised there were none on last night when it was a sold out evening -  they did for Carnivale and White Xmas last year which seemed to be a great response to the traffic nightmares last year.

I have a feeling that not having any on last night didn't turn out to be the best idea, given the usual carpark chaos was going on when I left (peeps who parked up the northern end preventing the peeps parked down the southern end from exiting) 

I'm confident that this will all be ironed out over coming weeks, as it usually is. All just first night teething issues atm ?

8 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Good review Max but have no clue why, when holding a front a line pass you would skip a hero maze due to a "lack of knowledge of the source material"... Worse case scenario you waste 5min of your life being confused...

Wow. I haven't seen ANY of the movies the mazes are about, other than maybe Friday the 13th (and even that was a skipthrough, as I only watched it as a teen for one scene that my movie crush at the time was in lol). That said, I usually do a quick read-up on Wikipedia beforehand to familiarise with storyline first. 

But yeah, otherwise I haven't seen any of them ?? Still thoroughly enjoy the mazes, though!!!! 

2 hours ago, kujotess said:

Each to their own, I guess. I skipped through most of that clip, found the performance to be rather boring. But then again, the dance party didn't really appeal to me personally either, even though clearly it did to many there last night. That said, I didn't mind watching all the action from the outside of the mosh pit, hahaha :)

At the end of the day, everyone has different tastes, so it's hard to please everyone too. Perhaps a better idea to be explored is focusing on is keeping different styles in different precincts. The dance party finale may have been better suited to the Gotham Hall precinct where they had the DJ playing? 

I'll have to have a think, lol. 

Edited by Theme Park Girl

13 hours ago, clayrobe512 said:

Lighting was awful. Showguns was pointing in a totally different direction (programing not physical fixture direction). It was way too light for a "Fright Nights" event

I wouldn't say the lighting was awful at all. For a fright night event, I thought it was good. 

My only issue with is was the photography aspect. Having too much of one colour, in this case purple/blue makes it hard to get decent photos, but on the flip side, it seems to work best for the ambience of the night.

Edited by djrappa

26 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

I wouldn't say the lighting was awful at all. For a fright night event, I thought it was good. 

My only issue with is was the photography aspect. Having too much of one colour, in this case purple/blue makes it hard to get decent photos, but on the flip side, it seems to work best for the ambience of the night.

Were the White Christmas fairy lights on at all times? If not, I think I'm perfectly fine with the lighting, the fair lights are my main problem.

1 minute ago, reanimated35 said:

Ah, that looks like the end of the night when all the lights go on to signal the GTFO portion of the evening. 

Oh okay, thank god, whelp, I essentially have nothing to worry about now, hype scale is 10/10 for me! :)

Btw, can anyone please give me some confirmation that Leatherface is walking around again this year? Seriously want another picture with him.

8 hours ago, flipp said:

???

Clown.thumb.jpg.db019954484754d74f3fa62052297cf2.jpg

That pic was just after the Rise of the Dead...

This was just before it...

Kate FN1.jpg

This was middle of the night...

FN Tall.jpg

This precinct was well lit most of the night...  My wife liked this area as she felt safer here with not so many spooky things happening...

31 minutes ago, themagician said:

Did anyone try out DD with its 6 inversions?

Unfortunately no! By the time we considered going to ride it, it has closed already :( We did see it running earlier on, though. Could have been just us, but we swear it looked faster than normal? 

6 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Yeah I don't think they should be making the lighting good for photos as a priority... Keep it nice and dark and gloomy. Some of those other photos just posted look good. 

Lol, funny you mentioned that, DJ. Gave me instant flashbacks to the VIP lounge, where we had to eat under dark red lighting. Was awesome for the atmosphere, but omg, first time trying to eat a full plate of buffet food in such poor light. Even harder to take pics, especially selfies haha. 

@JaggedJanine and I had fun trying ???

20161003_100716.jpg

20161003_100822.jpg

20161001_191006.jpg

Anyone that recorded the opening and closing...  Chucking together music from the night...

I know that in the opening there was:

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

The riff for Thunderstruck - ACDC

At the closing there was:

Selfie - The Chainsmokers

I think there was a bit of Freaks - Timmy Trumpet

Can anyone help with video or song titles for others that were used?

6 minutes ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

Anyone that recorded the opening and closing...  Chucking together music from the night...

I know that in the opening there was:

The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

The riff for Thunderstruck - ACDC

At the closing there was:

Selfie - The Chainsmokers

I think there was a bit of Freaks - Timmy Trumpet

Can anyone help with video or song titles for others that were used?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUDVMiITOU

That's the only one I'd ever heard of before. Not my type of music so I can't be much help sorry. 

@MaxxTheMonster have you seen the vid I uploaded to my blog from the closing performance? Not sure what the track is, but at least there's another one there to identify and add to the list ??

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1994042437489129&id=1908665459360161

Sorry it's glitchy btw, I had a mere 4% battery power on my phone whilst I was recording it, was down to 1% by the time I finished. So it seemed to have affected the quality ?

1 hour ago, Theme Park Girl said:

@MaxxTheMonster have you seen the vid I uploaded to my blog from the closing performance? Not sure what the track is, but at least there's another one there to identify and add to the list ??

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1994042437489129&id=1908665459360161

Sorry it's glitchy btw, I had a mere 4% battery power on my phone whilst I was recording it, was down to 1% by the time I finished. So it seemed to have affected the quality ?

The song in that video is "Selfie - The Chainsmokers", as already mentioned, thanks for the video!