Movie World Fright Nights 2016

5 minutes ago, danny8668 said:

My partner and i are upset/angry with this decision

And I congratulate them on this decision...

Not just DW, or the GC Theme Park industry, or Parkz enthusiasts or the local public...  But parkz around the world are paying attention to the news this week and that is something that definitely needs to be remembered...

I was looking last weekend to go to UTT this Friday night for my third and final attendance this year...  To me...  Now it would just not be / feel right...

Guess this is another case of damned if you do / damned if you don't...

People are going to be annoyed it has been cancelled as they had prepared to attend, made arrangements, etc...

If it went ahead given the main theme is Day of the Dead I'm sure they would cop backlash as well...

I am sure they have not made this decision lightly but personally I believe it was the right call to make given the circumstances...

48 minutes ago, danny8668 said:

My partner and i are upset/angry with this decision

While I understand why someone would be upset, I think you should think about what's happened this week and appreciate the respect Movie World is giving. For a party themed to the dead, it certainly isn't appropriate seeing what's happened recently. I commend Movie World for this mature decision, I'm sure they had made many preparations and had to sacrifice them too.

I was planning to attend the Final Party, I purchased a ticket a couple of weeks ago. Admittedly I was a little disappointed at first, especially since I had already gone to the extent of purchasing makeup and stuff to dress up on the night with. However in the bigger picture of things, I understand why Movie World have made this decision, and I'm glad they have.

Besides the obvious ie. the park openly showing their compassion and respect for this tragedy and it's victims by cancelling, I find it extremely gracious of them to be openly showing their support and uniting together with Dreamworld on this one, given the two parks are usually in direct conflict of interest with each other. They literally pulled their event less than half an hour after Dreamworld did their Screamworld events, so it seemed pretty clear to me that the did it last in response to that.

Also, very rarely do you see one park mention or refer to the other so directly by name, so to see that email from Movie World refer to Dreamworld, it personally touched my heart. 

Honestly, it would have been poor taste anyway for Movie World to go ahead with a "day of the dead" themed special event, given the circumstances. I am sure they would have pulled the plug on the other remaining nights as well, had they not already completely sold out to such large audiences. 

Had I not already booked a panic room for tomorrow night's Fright Nights, I probably would have chosen to stay home. Nothing against MW, just still mentally stuffed up a bit over the events of Tuesday and my heart is telling me I shouldn't be out having fun at one so soon in respect to the victims. It's probably gonna take me a few days, if not a couple of weeks, at least to recover from this tragedy :(

I get excited for almost anything, and the Final Party was no exception. It sounded like such a good time. It was going to be the highlight of this year's Fright Nights for me. I don't think the cancellation is the wrong move, however.

Considering the sensitive subjects that Halloween events seem to dance around with, it makes absolute sense to me that they would cancel in light of the events that transpired this past week. Changes to events have happened previously, and I'm sure it will happen again. Even some of the world's best Halloween events have had to make alterations in light of local, national and even international tragedies. Universal Studio's Halloween Horror Nights in 2001 had to make an immense amount of changes for their season in light of the September 11 attacks. All references to gore had to be removed, titles had to be changed, and even the marketing icon from that year had to be scrapped all in an effort to appeal to the more sensitive audience of the time. Just a year later, Universal had to retool their original concept for that season as a string of child abductions rendered their original Village of the Dammed-esque child icon to be in bad taste.

The Final Party would've been an absolute blast if everything had gone according to plan. It would've been a treat to experience everything that the team would have provided. Unfortunately, it would have to have been a perfect world for that to occur, and reality just isn't perfect; it's flawed. Life is unpredictable, and I commend the VRTP team for knowing when to fold. I would much rather remember Fright Nights 2016 as a relatively mediocre event in the shadow of a national tragedy, than to remember it as "The Year of Public Insensitivity".

^^^ you wrote your comment in a quote box with my name on it. Now I look like the crazy one..

the final night party was a 'day of the dead' party. the theme is probably a little morbid, even if only by name, given what occurred last week. It was the correct decision. 

The overnighter at Silverwood Lab was no relevance or Perceived to be tasteless, unless there was some tragedy in a laboratory recently I've missed. 

As for no being fair, nothing about life is fair, nor  is it meant to be. If this cancellation is the first of life's little challenges to show you that, then you've had a sweet cruise of ride til this point

(and don't call me Buster, I'm not a dog). 

Hey there, did anyone do the after party or silverwood experience and like to share? I went on Friday and booked the after party but unfortunately my partner got sick so we had to leave early. Friday was still great though, it was nice to wander round at our own pace and watch all the stuff in the zones and really enjoy the atmosphere. 

Just saw this article on the ABC

CSIRO researchers are using visions of the undead and the human face to teach a machine what terrifies us most.

Nightmare Machine is an algorithm-based piece of artificial intelligence, or AI, created by a team of researchers at CSIRO and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) that spontaneously generates zombie faces out of human ones and transforms images of places into visions of the inferno.

Dr Manuel Cebrian Ramos, a research scientist at Data61, the CSIRO's digital and data innovation group, and his colleagues fed 200,000 images of normal human faces into the machine's neural network to teach it to recognise faces.

The algorithm was then able generate faces at random according to what it had learnt.

They then added a single zombie face, giving it slightly more weight in the neural network than the others to turn human faces into zombies.

Even though after reading the article I understand the CSIRO's main aim of the project, I still wonder if it has any application in horror-themed events in the theme park industry such as Fright Nights? I'm thinking along the lines of a photo booth that turns your face into a zombie face (unless these already exist?). 

Seems like one theme park has already been used as a test image for the project. Maybe Luna Park Melbourne would benefit from using this image in their marketing for horror-themed park events?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Embedded Instagram Post

1 hour ago, djrappa said:

And did the staff manage to succeed in their planned 2am mission to scare the crap out of everyone??

I don't really think it was actually suppose to scare us. It was more taking part in experiments, questioning and brain games. Just like a test subject in a lab.

And not everyone got to do everything. I heard from 2 others that did things that i didn't and vise versa.

Edited by JaggedJanine

Sounds like Silverwood was a success, hope it comes back next year.

Totally understand canning Day of the Dead. Given that it might have been quite a profitable night with no free admissions (correct me if I'm wrong?), they really put their money where their mouth is.

Damn I love Halloween season, my fave part of the year.

Edited by downunder

2 hours ago, downunder said:

Totally understand canning Day of the Dead. Given that it might have been quite a profitable night with no free admissions (correct me if I'm wrong?), they really put their money where their mouth is.

Or to play devil's advocate, ticket sales dried up after Dreamworld's incident to the point where it was no longer viable so they moved to cancel it in the most appropriate way they could. They still proceeded with the sold out horror themed Friday and Saturday night events after all.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Or to play devil's advocate, ticket sales dried up after Dreamworld's incident to the point where it was no longer viable so they moved to cancel it in the most appropriate way they could. They still proceeded with the sold out horror themed Friday and Saturday night events after all.

I had heard that their ticket sales were pretty light for that event. I figured the cancellation may have been a very convenient excuse.

Am I mistaken, or when the dates were first released, they didn't have an event set for 31/10?

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Or to play devil's advocate, ticket sales dried up after Dreamworld's incident to the point where it was no longer viable so they moved to cancel it in the most appropriate way they could.

The incident happened Tuesday afternoon. The event was pulled first thing Thursday morning, less than 48 hours later. So I don't think there was really enough time there for ticket sales to "dry up".

However it is true that they had not sold well in general over the past couple of weeks. I put it down to the event being held on a Monday. Not exactly everyone's ideal party night, especially with the Melbourne Cup on the following day. But that obviously wasn't their fault, given they don't control what day of the week Halloween Falls on each year. Last year it was a Saturday night from memory, so it coincided with the Sat night Fright Nights.  

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

Am I mistaken, or when the dates were first released, they didn't have an event set for 31/10?

That's right. They added the Final Party a couple of weeks in. 

On 11/1/2016 at 7:42 PM, Theme Park Girl said:
On 11/1/2016 at 3:13 PM, AlexB said:

That's right. They added the Final Party a couple of weeks in. 

Doesn't mean they didn't have it planned from the start.

Although it's sad another year is over, I'm intrigued to know what was everyone's favourite maze this year and what was their favourite scare?
Personally, I loved both of the returning mazes more this year than the new ones (scare wise), especially on last Friday night! We went in every maze twice but only in F13 and WW did the actors really scare me! Each actor chased my friend and I into the following room and it was terrifying! However, I did love both the C2 and FTDT but after going in them once or twice, I rarely got scared.  On the other hand, my favourite scare was funnily, enough, the underground mine section in F13. It got me everytime! 

Edited by j_m-kelly