Movie World Fright Nights 2016

From Dusk til Dawn is my pick. Not only was I a fan of the series as well as the original film, this was the only maze that consistently scared me each and every night. 

Conjuring 2, Friday the 13th, and Wyrmwood were all solid mazes but I found them to be a bit temperamental. You could have a fantastic run through, or it could be extremely lacklustre. 

I loved From Dusk Till Dawn my third run through (by then I had watched the series and could really appreciate it) and it was really awesome! 

I really do agree with that though, I did have some lacklustre run through in those three mazes. My first two in From Dusk Till Dawn really lacked in actors, however, it significantly improved over the month and now is one of my favourite mazes. I still wish they had a fake snake on Santanico Pandemonium in the first room though.

4 minutes ago, j_m-kelly said:

I still wish they had a fake snake on Santanico Pandemonium in the first room though.

That was my biggest complaint with the maze. It's easily the most iconic image associated with the franchise, so it was devastating to not see it recreated a little bit more faithfully

For me: 

Best Maze for scares: Wyrmwood

Best indivual set: C2

These 2 were the stand out mazes for me this year. I got non stop scares in Wyrmwood, and there were extra minor elements that I don't remember from last year that really added to it and improved it. The detailing in the sets, and movement in the kitchen was great. F13 was good, but felt shorter which took away some of the great parts of the Maze last year, like that long tunnel. And for me when I did FDTD on the second night the actors weren't really scaring, just more staring at you, but the sets did look great. But from what people have said, it had improved, which is great to hear.

For me, Conjuring 2 was my fave, I liked the sets and the live actors were good.

I liked Friday the 13th and Wyrmwood better than last year, and Dusk Til Dawn was pretty good too, in some ways I preferred it to the Universal Hollywood one from a couple of years ago.

I enjoyed the event this year and hope it keeps growing. I'll definitely be on the ball and get on the Silverwood bandwagon next year before it's sold out. If they do offer it next year.

Edited by downunder

Best scare had to be in the Dusk Til Dawn maze...  I was leading the first time we went through and got to the area just before the grinder room...  Wasnt sure if we had to turn and walk through it as it looked like there was a doorway in front of me...  Female scarer jumped out right at that moment of confusion...  Quickly turned and walked through the grinder...

Favourite maze had to be Conjuring 2...  The sets were well done and especially the kitchen bumping and banging around was very well put together...

Already have a group of 12 of us ready to go next year and do the UTT again!!!

On 03/11/2016 at 7:49 PM, j_m-kelly said:

I'm so pumped for next year, I'm already hoping they can do an American Horror Story maze!

What would you like to see in AHS? Similar to HHN where they put scenes together from selected seasons or just one season and which season/s and what scenes?

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

No much scope to base it off a singular season imo

I'm sure there's more than enough material if they only did Murder House. The Infantana, Rubber Man, Piggy Man, Dead Breakfast Club, Beau, Exterminator, The Boy Dahlia, The Black Dahlia, Nurses of 1968, Larry Harvey, Mrs. Harvey, Home Invaders, Tate Langdon, Dr. Charles Montgomery, Mrs Montgomery, Troy and Brian, Chad and Patrick, Moira ( young and old ) and Constance. I'm pretty sure they can pull it off. 

Also, does anyone have any photos of the fridge zombie from Wyrmwood? Need to look at his makeup for reference points for SFX makeup. 

18 minutes ago, FoolishMortal999 said:

Right but they chose to do Friday the 13th maze that was released in 2009. 

Friday the 13th is also deeply engraved in the cultural zeitgeist. With 12 or so movies up it's belt, I would assume more people would recognise Jason Voorhees and a Camp Crystal Lake cabin over a classic creepy house and the "Dead Breakfast Club".

Edited by Zanstabar

26 minutes ago, Zanstabar said:

Friday the 13th is also deeply engraved in the cultural zeitgeist. With 12 or so movies up it's belt, I would assume more people would recognise Jason Voorhees and a Camp Crystal Lake cabin over a classic creepy house and the "Dead Breakfast Club".

So what you're saying here is that you had no idea what was happening in Friday the 13th maze. It actually had a story and the victims weren't just generic characters. Also it's not just some ' creepy house', it's a character itself in American Horror Story.

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

There's no way they'd do a maze based on a singular season and choose the first season that aired almost 6 years ago, that the majority of people either would never have seen or would have forgotten about. 

I think any AHS fans or most horror fans for that matter would know what the murder house is. Tate Langdon is an iconic character of that season and many fans cosplay as that particular character.

Edited by FoolishMortal999

Agree entirely with @Zanstabar

Friday the 13th is far more ingrained in pop culture and horror lore than Tate Langdon. 

You are forgetting the vast majority of FN's visitors are Teeny boopers, not necessary horror fans. The only series I think you could base an entire maze around would be freak show as the theme itself is fairly generic. 

7 minutes ago, FoolishMortal999 said:

So what you're saying here is that you had no idea what was happening in Friday the 13th maze. It actually had a story and the victims weren't just generic characters.

I've seen the film multiple times and I'm well aware of the story, which I found the maze followed quite faithfully.

My point in that post was that I find it quite clear to see why MW would chose Friday the 13th over the likes of American Horror Story: Murder. Friday the 13th has had numerous film released over a 35+ year period, as well as showcasing a series of consistencies throughout each entry. There is almost always a campsite, there's always a group of reckless teens, and there's always a member of the Voorhees family running around. Going through the maze with people who had not seen the 2009 film, I found that they still understood the basic concepts as they have become a part of pop culture. They understood exactly who Jason was, they understood that they were in a bloodied campsite. Every aspect was quite clear to them.

Compare that to American Horror Story: Murder House. This is only 12 episodes of content that aired roughly 5/6 years ago. Not only has it aired a while back, but the characters and settings are not deeply engrained within pop culture. Show the likes of the Infantata to a random individual, and they'll most likely just brush it off as a creepy monster. The same can be applied with most characters of the show. Most of them just haven't made a heavy impact on pop culture. If you had to chose between one franchise to bring people to the event, one of which has had a 36 year impact versus one which had only aired one single season, which would you chose?

3 hours ago, Zanstabar said:

I've seen the film multiple times and I'm well aware of the story, which I found the maze followed quite faithfully.

My point in that post was that I find it quite clear to see why MW would chose Friday the 13th over the likes of American Horror Story: Murder. Friday the 13th has had numerous film released over a 35+ year period, as well as showcasing a series of consistencies throughout each entry. There is almost always a campsite, there's always a group of reckless teens, and there's always a member of the Voorhees family running around. Going through the maze with people who had not seen the 2009 film, I found that they still understood the basic concepts as they have become a part of pop culture. They understood exactly who Jason was, they understood that they were in a bloodied campsite. Every aspect was quite clear to them.

Compare that to American Horror Story: Murder House. This is only 12 episodes of content that aired roughly 5/6 years ago. Not only has it aired a while back, but the characters and settings are not deeply engrained within pop culture. Show the likes of the Infantata to a random individual, and they'll most likely just brush it off as a creepy monster. The same can be applied with most characters of the show. Most of them just haven't made a heavy impact on pop culture. If you had to chose between one franchise to bring people to the event, one of which has had a 36 year impact versus one which had only aired one single season, which would you chose?

Well, Friday the 13th won't be coming back next year. And I do believe a lot of " teen boppers" go wild over Tate Langdon... despite what that character has done on film, viewers go mad over that character.

33 minutes ago, FoolishMortal999 said:

Well, Friday the 13th won't be coming back next year. And I do believe a lot of " teen boppers" go wild over Tate Langdon... despite what that character has done on film, viewers go mad over that character.

We also have no confirmation or even rumblings of AHS being involved. 

Don't get me wrong, I've called for MW to go hard for the AHS license for a couple years, but to be successful it has to be a collection of the best scenes & character from the entire series of shows 

• 1 month later...

I know it's a little late, but this video was originally pulled for copyright due to the music. Only just noticed that while I was away they never went through with their claim, so the audio stayed. 

Anyway, this was the opening scene of Fright Nights. 

Edited by reanimated35

Are there any specific AHS characters that hadn't appeared in HHN that could be in Movie World's AHS maze?

Characters that already appeared in HHN's AHS mazes.

Murder House

-----------------

Rubberman

Pigman

Dr.Charles Montgomery

Tate

the maid both old and young

Infantico (Forgot what he was called other then Thadeus.)

Freakshow

---------------

Amazon Eve

Twisty

Edward Mordrake

Chester

Dandy

Hotel

---------

Countess

Bed demon

Ramona

Liz

Iris

Sally

I might forgot others. Sorry about that.