Wild West Falls Refurbishment

dmh

1 hour ago, reanimated35 said:

I see your point but a simple sentence saying "looks like there's been no progress apart from a couple of cars parked in the area" would suffice.

Almost typed this exact thought when I saw that earlier.  I would be happy with a "no further progress to show at this time" post than multiple photos showing that fact...

32 minutes ago, skeetafly said:

I've been doing research to buy one for work.  I wonder what the law is in relationship to how high you have to go before it’s not MW land.

You wouldn't be allowed above 120m anyway, and even so I'd be extremely hesitant to fly there because of restrictions concerning 'populous areas'.  Is there still a helipad at MW?  This can have area restrictions also.

There's a number of restrictions relating to drones, and working in emergency services we've been thoroughly briefed on their use. There was a recent incident where some numpty flew his drone up into airspace allocated to the Westpac Lifesaver 1 rescue helicopter (link) and pretty much all the points raised above are valid.

there is of course a difference between toy RC drones which don't work outside range of the remote (give or take 10-30 metres) and the more serious drones that cost a pretty penny - however as far as CASA is concerned the rules apply to all UAVs regardless - they just aren't interested in pursuing hobbyists.

certain emergency agencies are exempted from certain CASA rules provided they follow a very strict criteria.

My comments were of course tongue in cheek. And yes - MW does have a helipad, albeit rarely used it is marked on Nav charts used by rotary aircraft as an 'alternate' emergency landing site.

4 minutes ago, AlexB said:

My comments were of course tongue in cheek. And yes - MW does have a helipad, albeit rarely used it is marked on Nav charts used by rotary aircraft as an 'alternate' emergency landing site.

Yes that's what I took it for.  My thought was more just a thought because I was looking at buying one for work.  I was not thinking of flying one over MW myself.

Edited by skeetafly

32 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

it is illegal to fly <snip> where the drone is out of sight and you have to use a camera to fly the drone.

I've done search trials with Boeing on drones they were pushing to be used for search and rescue. Line of sight is not always maintained in these situations, but their technology is a lot more robust. these things can return and land on a designated spot - even if that spot is on the back of a truck, and the trucks is moving - they have geolocation, and if they lose control signal or run low on battery, it automatically returns to its landing pad before it runs out of juice.