Dreamworld Q&A

It's awesome that Belinda has surprised us all today with coming onboard and answering quite a lot of questions honestly and frankly for us.

surely the best way we can show our gratitude & encourage Belinda to continue to engage with this medium is to actually read the previous questions & Answers before posting, so she is not bombarded with 5 of the same questions, minutes after just answering it...

Edited by Brad2912

@The Original Belinda Brown

How come bottled water is priced the same as soft drink? Even at the Ekka bottleled water is cheaper than a Coke (and still overpriced). I suggest just making your water about 50c cheaper than Pepsi bottles. Still overpriced but will encourige guests to go for the healther option.

With the Motorcoaster - I hated it since I first saw it since it looked so out of place and the vintage cars looked so good there. I'm not going to say get ride of Motorcoaster and put the cars back but I do beleve Motorcoaster can be a good ride. I just needs a better train. One like Jet Rescue (but a motorbike) where your legs are not being crushed with the bad design it currently has.

Why hasen't the chairlift been removed yet? I do like abandoned stuff but it has been 10 years now and Sea World removed there chirlift not long after it closed.

Please don't add anymore flat spinning rides. You have too many! Dreamworld needs new rollercoasters (wooden in Gold Rush / Rocky Hollow?) and even some dark rides. I'm sure you can do better than the Big Red Car. You can even enclose the Log Ride which needs better theming.

Speaking of theming River Rapids has a dinosaur, and it set in 1886!

Please fix the vintage cars theming. Make it great like it was in the old area.

With the Mine Ride I would make the mountain bigger (going over the foot path / train track) with a tunnel for the footpath and train track so the ride can be bigger and better. Unless it's possible for a longer track in the current mountain. Don't just reopen the same old ride. Even though everyone misses it, if it was the same we would quicky relise it wasn't so great. With a great dark ride down the road (Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster) the new Mine Ride needs to be more exciting than it used to be.

Edited by Gary86

4 hours ago, The Original Belinda Brown said:

Moto - Well we do have a few things we would like to do to Moto, and plan to before worrying about the track colour for now. More on ride cycle and greater comfort. But, we don't disagree with you it is all priority. Do guests talk about track colour or the experience? This is where where have to make the decision. The fencing around that area also doesn't match, so it is on many hits lists but will get to the action list when we can. 

Waterfall - Strategically we are moving faster towards water conservation with active changes rather than just following council restrictions. Water collection for more grey water use etc is one of the background changes we have been implementing. Thinker smarter and longer term. As we can upgrade to make older features more efficient then we can bring them back to life. 

Future - Yes I can confirm. Is it ready for discussion? no. Do I think it is the answer to the prayers I read here? No. but I think you will see the logic in where we are headed? Yes I do. 

Moto - TBH it's been a long time since I'd been to the park up until recently when I wanted to check out the tigers. The more common feedback I've heard has been from here with all the enthusiasts saying that there's not enough thrills. I do remember going to DW with a friend of mine who's not on these forums because he isn't overly into parks as much as I am but even he pointed out the queue for MDMC would be nice and quick because it's pretty much dead after the first turn. As for the colour - it's not uncommon for comments to be made on how faded a ride looks, that goes for DW and VRTP parks. Sure it doesn't impact the ride experience, but it does make the park look more run-down. 

It's been mentioned multiple times on here, Ocean Parade looks great and you've done some great work getting it nice and shiny, however it seems now, in compassion, the rest of the park is feeling a bit "forgotten". While it makes sense that the focus is on one section at a time, in my opinion, OP wasn't the best place to start as it feels like you're trying to keep everyone there rather than wander around the park. That area has enough drawcards on it's own anyway. The goldrush and back/animal area of the park needs some love.

I'd have to challenge you on the waterfall there - you say it's in a effort to save water or be more efficient. By circulating the water from the 'Dreamworld river', you wouldn't lose enough water from evaporation that wouldn't just be replaced by rainfall anyway. Plus, isn't it connected to Oakey Creek anyway? 

Thank you again for all the in-depth answers. I hope once the initial bombardment of questions wears off you stick around for the long haul :) 

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

Why was the Skylink Chairlift closed down anyway its not like it was operating for as long as eureka mine ride or anything. ?

Thanks

Hey Ash, google is your friend lol ??

http://www.coaster-net.com/news/160-dreamworld-coomera-queensland-australia/

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2004-01-19/investigation-begins-into-dreamworld-chair-lift/121830

Hi @The Original Belinda Brown thanks so much for answering everyone's questions :)
I have one or two (or maybe three ;) )for you if you do not mind :) I also apologise if these have been answered and I haven't noticed.

Was Blue Lagoon solely closed because of WWW? Or where the other reasons due to its closure?

What is to happen to the Big Brother house and stage? Seems a waste to tear it down - obviously it would be costly, but I imagine it may be on the future cards for DW to expand to include these areas in the main park.

Will the Paddle Wheeler ever make a return? And the bush-gang show that you saw whilst on the boat? I felt this was a draw card for families looking for something relaxing to do away from the crowds around the thrill rides.

What is to happen to the Australian Experience, and more notably, the Farm Animals area? I'll admit, I haven't been to Dreamworld since 2012 - but I remember going on the DW Express and the farm animal area just sitting abandoned.

Also, a major of Eureka - Can't wait to see what may be in store for it! :)

39 minutes ago, Jessicajealousy said:

Hi @The Original Belinda Brown 

Will the Paddle Wheeler ever make a return? And the bush-gang show that you saw whilst on the boat? I felt this was a draw card for families looking for something relaxing to do away from the crowds around the thrill rides. 

If it did, they would have to buy or build a new one. Hubby & and I had a discussion about it with Peter the train driver a while back, he confirmed that the old one was sent to the chipper years ago. 

22 hours ago, ash.1111 said:

Welcome to the forums. I read in a recent annual report (I believe it was anyway?) about a second gate linking to the proposed Westfield development. Is this something that is still on the table, and will it be a more low-key entrance or something with a more pronounced Main St/similar vibe?

The Westfield Development has been in limbo for a long time, with as recently as yesterday getting a little more solid movement, so many things are still on the table around that site. 

5 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Hey @The Original Belinda Brown, Great to see you on the forums! I only have one question, do Dreamworld ever plan to integrate Virtual Reality into some on some of your coasters? And if so, will it be free to use or will you have to pay?

Possibly, we have people dedicated to looking at new technology all the time. Have you tried it? If not in-sync with the ride it is not a wonderful (read nauseating) experience but technology moves quickly so that brings me back to, possibly! And as a business we would be looking for return on investment so I dare say there would be a hire fee involved. 

5 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

3 hours ago, Andrewh said:

Nice to see you Belinda :) 

I hope everyone at Dreamworld has forgiven me.

Is there any chance of making arcade games $1 instead of $2? I like the arcade but it's a bit too expensive IMO

not much chance of that, no. 

1 hour ago, Jessicajealousy said:

Hi @The Original Belinda Brown thanks so much for answering everyone's questions :)
I have one or two (or maybe three ;) )for you if you do not mind :) I also apologise if these have been answered and I haven't noticed.

Was Blue Lagoon solely closed because of WWW? Or where the other reasons due to its closure?

What is to happen to the Big Brother house and stage? Seems a waste to tear it down - obviously it would be costly, but I imagine it may be on the future cards for DW to expand to include these areas in the main park.

What is to happen to the Australian Experience, and more notably, the Farm Animals area? I'll admit, I haven't been to Dreamworld since 2012 - but I remember going on the DW Express and the farm animal area just sitting abandoned.

Also, a major of Eureka - Can't wait to see what may be in store for it! :)

Hi, 

Blue Lagoon was mostly closed down to focus on opening a full sized water park rather than a few slides and a pool. 

The house is a shell, and not really a house so that has mostly gone. The Studios future has two ways to go, and since not yet within the project list could change so the nest answer I can give there is, of course we wish to expend to include those areas at some point in time. 

The Paddle Wheeler could only come back as a ghostly version of itself I am afraid. Would the Bush Ranger Show come back? No, bringing it back would never be the same. We now try to bring new street entertainment to the park each peak period to keep it fresh and more on trend (Dreamworld trend). 

The sheep shearing show now has our farm animals. I think it is time for another visit. Perhaps post September when Tiger Island reopens. 

Phew... I think I got them all. 

I am going to Screamworld tonight :-) I am a bit sad about Buzz and TOTII not being up for it but Kenny is a chicken anyway. 

Edited by The Original Belinda Brown

36 minutes ago, The Original Belinda Brown said:

I am going to Screamworld tonight :-) I am a bit sad about Buzz and TOTII not being up for it but Kenny is a chicken anyway. 

didn't answer mine, ?

any plans of taking Kenny in Zombie Evilution? 

52 minutes ago, The Original Belinda Brown said:

The Paddle Wheeler could only come back as a ghostly version of itself I am afraid. Would the Bush Ranger Show come back? No, bringing it back would never be the same. We now try to bring new street entertainment to the park each peak period to keep it fresh and more on trend (Dreamworld trend).

Somebody might want to tell the Theme Park Social Network this. He's been going around preaching that both of these oldies are making a comeback via a press release next month. Along with the reopening of the mine ride and a second tower of terror, of course :rolleyes:<_<

LOL @Theme Park GirlDon't waist your time.

@The Original Belinda BrownThanks for answering my last questions.  Do you think DW will ever build another large attraction?  I do have concerns and some other members do too.  I believe that DW will never put in a new ride to the scale of the TOT again.  We know DW have spent a lot of money on fillers since the change of ownership but we are yet to see a new attraction that makes me go. “I must do that” The Buzz is good but it’s no superman.  When the major attractions like TOT are too old to upkeep are we just going to be left with a permanent fair?

1 hour ago, The Original Belinda Brown said:

The Westfield Development has been in limbo for a long time, with as recently as yesterday getting a little more solid movement, so many things are still on the table around that site. 

Possibly, we have people dedicated to looking at new technology all the time. Have you tried it? If not in-sync with the ride it is not a wonderful (read nauseating) experience but technology moves quickly so that brings me back to, possibly! And as a business we would be looking for return on investment so I dare say there would be a hire fee involved. 

not much chance of that, no. 

Hi, 

Blue Lagoon was mostly closed down to focus on opening a full sized water park rather than a few slides and a pool. 

The house is a shell, and not really a house so that has mostly gone. The Studios future has two ways to go, and since not yet within the project list could change so the nest answer I can give there is, of course we wish to expend to include those areas at some point in time. 

The sheep shearing show now has our farm animals. I think it is time for another visit. Perhaps post September when Tiger Island reopens. 

Thanks so much for answering my questions @The Original Belinda Brown, much appreciated :)
Yes, definitely time for a re-visit! Hoping to come up by the end of the year!

I agree with you on the bush ranger show - too much time has passed and the kids of today wouldn't enjoy as much as older people would, more for the nostalgia. However, getting the Paddle Wheeler (or any kind of boat for that matter) would definitely make use of the river. Its such a prime area of the park that could be utilised more by adding such a simple attraction. But I am no engineer or developer so i wouldn't know how much time, money and effort it would take to have an attraction there.

But thank you :)

@Theme Park Girl that's really sad :( I thought that it had been moved out deeper in the creek where people couldn't see it - didn't realise it was long gone.

22 hours ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

Greetings miss Belinda, 

1) once Tiger Island is complete, what is Dreamworld's next project that we will see? a new roller coaster, new flat ride? 

2) are you able to confirm what projects you have in the works to replace Kevil? is the Sharknado attraction that was announced on Shark Tank one of them? 

1 minute ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

I think you did, it's the first post on the page, if you can't find out here it is image.png

oh this one. 

How could you be forgetting Lego? 

No, I can't tell you what is happening to the Kevil space just yet. Sharknado never really had "us" in mind, he was putting out a concept he would like to get going somewhere, and is still working on that plan from what I hear. 

7 minutes ago, skeetafly said:

LOL @Theme Park GirlDon't waist your time.

@The Original Belinda BrownThanks for answering my last questions.  Do you think DW will ever build another large attraction?  I do have concerns and some other members do too.  I believe that DW will never put in a new ride to the scale of the TOT again.  We know DW have spent a lot of money on fillers since the change of ownership but we are yet to see a new attraction that makes me go. “I must do that” The Buzz is good but it’s no superman.  When the major attractions like TOT are too old to upkeep are we just going to be left with a permanent fair?

Wow... where is the trust Skeetafly? I've said we had some upkeep to do, that we have some areas we needed to improve first, a few new activations that allow variations of the business to develop as quickly as the demand for them, such as our events. I didn't say it was never happening. You have to remember that we see ourselves as a little bit for everyone, and that is what we do, add a little bit of everything and all to a greater plan. TOT isn't too old, he just has a headache and will be back soon. 

Hey Belinda

You almost got all the questions except mine one of which was answered.

Was wondering what the plans are for the old Skylink Chairlift whether it be re-opening it or removing and replacing it with another attraction.

I'm no engineer or anything but as its all still standing it wouldn't take much to other then most likely new stations.