Dreamworld Q&A

4 hours ago, razza1987 said:

I have a question. 

How come all of the new rides during the last few years been high up? Will there be any rides in the future that will not be terrifying to people like me who are scared of heights 

like what though? Most rides have an element of height, as height = thrill, and in some cases speed. 

Shockwave isn't high, I can think of too many other flats that don't involve height, save for kids rides of course 

7 hours ago, ClassyDaedra said:

Legit made an account to ask 3 questions on this. 

1. What was the reason behind closing laser tag. It is was my main reason for going and now I've just have flow and the same old rides I've been riding for 10 years (ToT ftw) any chance of seeing her back in action?

Laser tag arena's are cost prohibitive if not bringing in constant revenue. The guns & vests are a maintenance nightmare. It wasn't over popular, it's existence certainly wasn't bringing additional visitation or revenue to the park, so the costs of maintaining, and staffing become unnecessary for the small number of people utilising it. Don't forget Ardent owns M9 which is located within 25mins of the park (both north & south). They were potentially also canabalising that business as with growing world pass holder numbers in SE Qld, M9 would have been losing revenue with people getting their skirmish fix at DW. 

I was specifically asking because there doesn't seem to be many adult tame rides anymore. They all seem to be thrill rides. Tame rides exist for children in the park but not for adults. It was what I loved so much about the paddlesteamer. You could just go on it to relax. I was specifically referring to the planes ride up high and the pandemonium ride. Not every wants all thrill rides in a park. Just my opinion though :)

I hope we didn't scare you off @The Original Belinda Brown  When DW's CEO was asked about The Wanda Group interest in building a new theme park on the Gold Coast he replied with. We have our own plans and will be a very different looking place in four years as well.”  Was he just talking it up or will DW look like a different place in 4 years? 

On 6/18/2016 at 1:29 AM, Theme Park Girl said:

Personally I'd rather not see a Coaster go on ibis Island. There's something serene about having a somewhat untouched nature reserve in the middle of a theme park. I've learnt to appreciate this whilst standing next to the river at the Aussie Sheep Shearing show shed. 

If you think about all the other theme parks, most of them are artificially man made grounds now. Movie World is surrounded by swamp, but everything in inside has been placed there, iykwim. I know that's how ibis Island and the river started off at DW, but it's since become a habitat for a lot of wildlife. It also gives the park an 'Aussie outback' feel, which is perfect for the Corroboree. 

If anything was to go on that Island, I'd rather see something like what Sea World had in its early days with their adventure island - a playground made of ropes and logs, that blends into its environment. Kids would love that, especially if a couple of secure bridges were built to access it, or even a little ferry doing scheduled runs back and forth.

The foundations and jetties are already there in a couple of places from past use. And if it's done right, no trees will have to be removed, and it can still be utilised as a habitat for the animals which are happy to share with humans. I'm sure some boundaries can be set either way. 

@The Original Belinda Brown have Dreamworld ever considered doing something like this for ibis Island, as opposed to a modern day amusement/thrill ride of sorts? 

It has been one of the ideas that has been discussed. 

On 6/18/2016 at 1:38 AM, j_m-kelly said:

Hi Belinda, just a quick question:

Why isn't the water underneath the Wipeout filled up as much as it used to be before the water restricitions? Also, were there any thoughts of bringing back Fluffy the Shark?

Kinda Regards :)

Hey, Theme Park Girl pretty much answered that for you. Fluffy retired :-( 

On 6/18/2016 at 10:04 AM, ClassyDaedra said:

Legit made an account to ask 3 questions on this. 

1. What was the reason behind closing laser tag. It is was my main reason for going and now I've just have flow and the same old rides I've been riding for 10 years (ToT ftw) any chance of seeing her back in action?

2. The flowrider used to have music that was seperate from the park tunes. You used to be able to know who's operating the ride just by what playlist was playing. It really set the mood for the place and made it a great place to chill then carve up the wave. Any chance of getting separate music back. 

What are the chances of having "membership" style add on for flow aswell. MSAC in Melbourne have a great system to get people on the flow. Like members only sessions one free flow a day and discounts during winter. I'm sure it works brilliantly for those guys so why not give it a go here. 

Cheers :)

Hi ClassyDeadra, 

1. The technology was really dated and became almost a full time job to keep it going. So when talking about what we would have to do to keep it going we decided that we would be better off letting this type of attraction be someone else's speciality. I know it was loved, and it was a long debate to have to make that decision. 

2. That is some great feedback, but also part of the reason we have a centralised system now. While great that the style was so personalised, it should be consistent with the park not the operators. That doesn't mean we don't want to take on suggestions for style for consideration when we do update playlists. 

3. I am happy to throw this on the table. We have discussed it before and to be honest we have avoided it in the fear that it locks out first time visitors who should also get the chance to book a session. We trialled it once too and found that some people booked but didn't turn up, and wanted to change dates or refund etc. In the meantime we had been turning guests in-park away, so for the moment we have stuck to allowing Night Rider bookings online and trying to keep  most FlowRider sessions for those in park on the day. 

Thanks for joining the Q&A session. Sorry about the responses. 

On 6/18/2016 at 1:27 PM, razza1987 said:

I have a question. 

How come all of the new rides during the last few years been high up? Will there be any rides in the future that will not be terrifying to people like me who are scared of heights 

Hey Razza, 

So hard to get this right and make everyone happy. We get asked about kids rides for under 100cm the most at the moment, then about bringing back some of the past attractions, more for non thrill seekers to do, and from this group we get asked for a big coaster more often than not. It is a balancing act we have to match against current plan, available capital, precinct development and demand. I'll keep your request in mind :-) 

2 hours ago, skeetafly said:

I hope we didn't scare you off @The Original Belinda Brown  When DW's CEO was asked about The Wanda Group interest in building a new theme park on the Gold Coast he replied with. We have our own plans and will be a very different looking place in four years as well.”  Was he just talking it up or will DW look like a different place in 4 years? 

Regular visitors will tell you that you can already see the change and we most definitely have long term plans that will bring a lot of change and additions to the park. He was giving you his honest opinion and showing the determination. 

1 hour ago, reanimated35 said:

I think she's busy :P

IMG_20160621_153054.jpg

Look at me go... :-)

On 6/17/2016 at 11:10 PM, Theme Park Girl said:

You mean this shop? ?

20160615_133210.jpg

I actually took a pic of it a couple of days ago because guest services pretty much confirmed for me that that's where the new logo store would be going.

They also said that they are almost ready to start work on it! Might explain as well why this shop was still closed around 2pm Wed arvo. I reckon they are preparing to empty it? 

I don't know what happened to my profile photo and banner :-( But I put it back. And yes, Marketplace is the right space to be looking in. 

Only took 478 photos today, but I'll start with something that I was most curious about. 

We've seen the rails that were added to the rapids, but we were yet to see a clear shot of the other additions. So here's the preventatives that stop the rafts floating into the reservoir as well as the anti-rollback devices on the chain. Simple, yet effective. 

res.jpg

roll1.jpg

roll2.jpg

And a question, @The Original Belinda Brown

What did you guys do to the stage?  It all looks normal again but the other day photos showed it sanded right back.

stage.JPG

Hi @reanimated35.

I'm new to this whole forum thing, so forgive me if I ask this in the wrong place or its been answered before, but do you or maybe @Theme Park Girl have photos of River Rapids when it's empty? I love behind the scenes stuff and what rides look like 'dry' or 'uncovered'. Especially that whole reservoir area where the water is turbulent like there is a massive pump there. That kind of stuff is even more exciting to me than the ride itself (waits for the screams and gasps of disbelief :-D). 

Actually any cool pics of any ride - uncovered.

Thank you for any help.

2 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Hey @UpperCoomera, I probably do at home (I'm at work atm) as I have folders and folders of theme park photos lol. I know I've got one of the River Rapids half empty from when it was playing up last week. I'll post them for you when I get home :) 

Thank you @Theme Park Girl!!!

It's always fascinated me since I was a kid. Might sound weird but I'd rather walk through River Rapids empty than ride it fully operational (hears the gasps of terror and utter disbelief). Don't get me wrong, I love the rides, it's my ultimate escapism,  but I must have been a cat in a previous life... curiosity and all that, lol.

Thanks again! :-D

No worries @UpperCoomera :) And don't worry, I have similar fascinations that others would find weird lol. I drive my family nuts because I love to take photos of "everything" :lol:  I'm currently trying to get a photo of every coaster on the Goldie in an empty state (ie. no passengers) as a personal challenge. And, unlike the majority of the population, I actually WANT a ride to break down whilst I am on it. Especially Scooby Doo! Never happens, though :lol::(

We all have our own quirks, I guess :P

Hey Belinda - i'm curious - you say the technology for laser tag was really dated - I hear ya - I was playing midnight til dawn laserzone battles back in 1999...

But didn't you only install AVPX in April 09? And doesn't your parent company still operate laser skirmish in bowling centres all over? So does that mean Ardent's technology in its current centres are dated? Or that the same technology wasn't available to Dreamworld... for some odd reason?

22 minutes ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

@The Original Belinda Brown

What do you mean by "someone's else speciality"? did another company get the laser tag equipment from you guys? imagine if MW gets a DC Comics themed laser tag :P 

I'd read that as "it's M9's thing" so why should they compete with themselves. As in, why pay for M9 if you have a dreamworld pass and can do it for free while you're doing a bunch of other fun stuff?