Topgolf attraction coming to the Gold Coast

rac2703

Well take care of the first item, it's not a theme park expansion.  Auatralian Outback Spectacular is as much a Wet 'n' Wild expansion as Top Golf is a Movie World expansion.  

As an attraction, I think it'll work because it's as much sports bar as it is driving range, it's a casual game like bowling but in a place that people would be happy to spend a bit of time.  It is to golf what Strike bowling is to bowling. There really isn't much like this in Australia, but these types of things are quite popular in America, anyone whose been to a Dave & Busters or a Main Event center will kind of know the level this is being pitiched at.  I'd be surprised if I don't end up going there occasionally on actual nights out.

I think if they can build it in such a way that it's also integrated with the future entertainment precinct, it'll go from something where you go, 'Oh Ok well that's kind of cool'  to something that headlines a cool place for people to hang out, in a similar vein to the Lake at Robina Town Center or Circle on Cavil

Looks like an interesting concept. It's definitely something that personally appeals to me, but I doubt it'll be everyones cup of tea. 

Now all we need to see is some more details. Where will this be situated? Will it be complimentary to a hotel or the proposed entertainment precinct? Or are we going to see a stand-alone driving range plonked in-between WnW and MW?

17 minutes ago, Zanstabar said:

Looks like an interesting concept. It's definitely something that personally appeals to me, but I doubt it'll be everyones cup of tea.

Think bucks parties, boys weekend's that sort of thing. I have no interest in guns, but enjoyed a day out at Belmont range for a mates buck's day. 

Another mate is into golf, I've got no interest in it, but would give that a go with a few drinks etc. 

1 minute ago, red dragin said:

Think bucks parties, boys weekend's that sort of thing. I have no interest in guns, but enjoyed a day out at Belmont range for a mates buck's day. 

Another mate is into golf, I've got no interest in it, but would give that a go with a few drinks etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this. I actually go to my local driving range quite frequently, so I'm excited to not only see one near my favourite park, but to also see what new experiences it brings.

I drove past Movie World today and noticed that there was excavtors and temporary/construction fencing out the back heading towards Paradise Country.  I assumed it may be where the resort/hotel was going.  If any of you regular visitors  to Movie World want to try and get some photos of this area it would be great.  I am happy to follow any construction going on around our theme parks, not just updates on rides.

For those that aren't sure about this concept - I have three words for you - PANTHERS AQUA GOLF. 

A lot of you know what i'm talking about. if you don't google it. short answer - its a heck of a lot of fun whilst drinking after dark. 

VRTP have been exploring ideas for a nighttime event precinct outside MW for ages to try and capture the market of people leaving the park at 5pm. The previous proposal of a motorsport precinct was cool, but nobody drinks whilst they're behind the wheel of a go kart. 

On the other hand - there are tables only a metre or so away from the tees - so its very much like bowling... and rather than charging $50-$100 for 15 minutes on the track so you can make your money, you can charge $10-15 for a bucket of balls, and count on people enjoying food\drinks to up your per cap. The venue spaces look like they cater to a lot more than just golf too - so they've got plenty of opportunities to make this space work... not only that, but it should also be ready in time for the games as well, giving another party precinct nearby an event space too.

It will also give some local entertainment to the eventual hotel \ campgrounds - they're making the property a destination. I love it. And you know what? if golf fails as a entertainment topic, the majority of the space is going to be grass, and nets - it wouldn't be hard to turn it into something else.

#bringiton

39 minutes ago, Troy81 said:

I drove past Movie World today and noticed that there was excavtors and temporary/construction fencing out the back heading towards Paradise Country.  I assumed it may be where the resort/hotel was going.  If any of you regular visitors  to Movie World want to try and get some photos of this area it would be great.  I am happy to follow any construction going on around our theme parks, not just updates on rides.

32 minutes ago, joz said:

I would expect that what you saw has more to do with a movie that's being filmed in the studios right now

You probably saw the film set being constructed up the back of the Outback Spectacular paddocks (as seen in the Nearmap image below), which is most likely for the new Thor film that is due to start filming there soon. 

MWBL.png

Edited by rac2703

I can see why they're doing this if they're building accomodation close by. It would certainly be cashing in on the golfing tourist's dollar. It's interesting in the video how the people playing golf are a bit laddish and obviously you don't need to be a pro to play.

But I can't help thinking that that land could have been room for a park expansion. I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity. I doubt I will be visiting it in a hurry.

I think there are a few people who aren't quite getting it.  This isn't for serious golfers, this is a casual activity that friends can go do together.  Again the best way to think about it is a bowling alley.  I suspect a lot of members here are too young to remember what bowling alleys used to be like, but it was always plain fluro lights, with no music or bar.  These days it's all glow in the dark balls, loud pop music, bar foods and cocktails.  Basically they're doing what they did to bowling alleys to a driving range now.  Not only that, but there's also a game element to it with targets and all sorts of other fun things going on with the technology to make the main experience more fun.  If it's anything like the places in the states there's also licences arcades and a few other things there.  How often do you go bowling?  Because that's probably roughly how often you'll go to this.

Edited by joz

I must admit I wasn't looking at it with more accomodation being available which would obviously change things as I can't see the day-to-day park crowds going for it and it's too far out to be a regular night attraction. 

I think there's a massive difference when comparing to bowling though because bowling is accessible to anyone of any age and ability.

Unless you play golf already, golf (outside of mini golf) is basically inaccessible to everyone. 

This isn't golf though.  Yes there's clubs and you hit a golf ball, but that's pretty much where the similarities end.  The idea is there are big targets and the closer you get to one the more points you get, and all the scoring is done automatically while you have some food and hang out with friends.  I would not expect a small kid to be any good at it, but they suck at pretty much everything anyway.  You will get families, but more to the point you'll get groups of adult friends who are looking for a new activity to try, and while they're there they'll drink and have a laugh.  I know on here there's a lot of focus on pro golfers and tourists, and wether the theme park crowd can sustain it, and how it'll go without accomodation, but honestly I feel like this as much for locals as anything.  

There are a lot of people living in the northern Gold Coast looking for something fun to do, my hunch is that'll be where 70% of the customers come from.  

I've always thought the name 'Top Golf' was a bit uninspired though, because you do hear the name and go 'sounds shit' almost as a reflex.  But when you look into it, it looks fun, given the fact there's 23 of these places the local marketing must be pretty good.  

I wonder if it works will Ardent look at building a Main Event complex at Coomera, maybe somewhere near where the Amphitheatre is.

Edited by joz

I like how you will be able to get points and play against your friends. I've always preferred mini golf over the driving range, simply because of the fact that you can actually challenge your friends + have a winner. Now this driving range brings in that "challenge" element which is great! Can't wait to try it out :)