Abandoned Theme Parks

Has anyone ever been in an abandoned theme park? Have any cool photos to share? A girl I went to school with shared a picture of her jumping the fence to get into Nara Dreamland in Japan - so I just spent the past hour or so looking at pictures taken in it since it shut down in 2006.

How awesome would it be! I love looking at them as well. Check out the 'Adam The Woo' channel on YT, he has lots of uploads of abandoned places walkthroughs, including numerous theme parks. 

Six Flags New Orleans has been one I've followed closely. It seems they use it a lot these days as a movie set location :)

Abandoned Theme Parks: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL047A057E91EFDA70

Managed to pop into Lake Dolores Waterpark on my last trip. As most people are aware there isn't much left of it, just holes in the ground and buildings degrading. No pictures though, felt sketchy enough being in there let alone spending time and snapping pics.

@Theme Park Girl My partner and I were lucky on our visit to Knotts and  bumped into Adam at the front gates waiting for it to open. He was nice enough to do a quick ride on Sierra Sidewinder with us.

Check out The Proper People on youtube as well. They've done Six Flags, but they explore a lot of abandoned places and the production level of their video's is pretty cool.

15 minutes ago, Jessicajealousy said:

Yep, I've followed Adam! I like Six Flags, also Joyland and Geuga Lake.

I also like the one at Pripyat - such a cool/scary story to go along with it. Sad that we don't have any abandoned ones in Aus.

Be careful what you wish for. We've had plenty of abandoned parks.

4 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Be careful what you wish for. We've had plenty of abandoned parks.

Sincerely hoping none of our current parks go that way. But yes - being a Victorian, I have fond memories of Wobbie's World, and also of Wonderland Sydney. I feel out current major parks are in good standing at the moment - so hopefully they won't be lost in the near distant future.

I went by Celebration City in Branson, with it's perfectly good GCI wood coaster mocking us. Just recently it was sold off and the coaster was demolished.

I remember when I was small, seeing the aftermath of the Luna Park Sydney fire from the cliff top at Milson's Point. I wish I'd had a camera, but I remember it vividly. Seeing the lift hill of the Big Dipper badly burned.

Friends in New Orleans have offered to take me through Six Flags New Orleans. Though by the time I get there, they might have developed it into a new park.

16 minutes ago, downunder said:

I went by Celebration City in Branson, with it's perfectly good GCI wood coaster mocking us. Just recently it was sold off and the coaster was demolished.

I remember when I was small, seeing the aftermath of the Luna Park Sydney fire from the cliff top at Milson's Point. I wish I'd had a camera, but I remember it vividly. Seeing the lift hill of the Big Dipper badly burned.

Friends in New Orleans have offered to take me through Six Flags New Orleans. Though by the time I get there, they might have developed it into a new park.

I haven't heard of Celebration City - but will have a google now :)
Six Flags is cool - probably because its such a modern park. Pictures I have seen show Sponge bob, Avengers theming - I think that gives it another creepy factor as it has that sort of branding - as opposed to more of an old fashioned, generic amusement park without the licenced characters.

On 28/06/2016 at 10:50 AM, Gary86 said:

This is a great doco on Six Flags New Orleans.

That was amazing! They also had one on Geuga Lake which was fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

46 minutes ago, downunder said:

Williams Grove in Pennsylvania is gradually being reclaimed by the forest.

upthetrack.jpg

I haven't heard of Williams Grove - I'll have a google now. Beautiful picture!

• 4 weeks later...

There is an abandoned amusement park in Sydney called 'The Magic Kingdom'. I've never visited the site so I don't know how much of it is remaining now but here are some videos of it from the past 3 years:

Google Earth satellite images from 2013 onwards show that they started to clean up the park (probably in response to the 1st video) but judging from the most recent satellite image, it is still in an abandoned state just without major structures or signs that it is an abandoned amusement park. The oldest Google Earth satellite image (2004) shows the park in a neat state even though it was closed for at least 10 years at that point. It started to run down a few months later that year in the satellite images.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Removed large gaps between YouTube videos and year headings.

Leyland brothers world/Leyland Family Fun park was still visible two years ago when I went past. I don't know how much of it is used for the campsite activities. If you look closely from the fence you could still see the blue screen building, train track, ponds, 4wd station and of course the Uluru clone still consists of the petrol station. I miss that place. It was small and friendly. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Here is a video showing some pictures of a place everyone's heard about Chernobyl's amusement park.

I haven't seen that video of Pripyat - how amazing is it! And only open for one day before it closed - super creepy, but it does make from some spectacular photos. Thanks! :)

I have been to Atlantis up near two rocks. Its great to see the impressive King Neptune statue there. I believe they spent money to clean it up and get the graffiti of it. My mum always tells me about stories about how she use to love that place as a kid. You can still walk and eat in the restaurant area that is pictured in the video.

I also went to Dizzy Lamb park/castle invasion for some paint ball. Its also cool to see how they turned that old abandoned theme park into a paint ball arena. 

15 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

I have been to Atlantis up near two rocks. Its great to see the impressive King Neptune statue there. I believe they spent money to clean it up and get the graffiti of it. My mum always tells me about stories about how she use to love that place as a kid. You can still walk and eat in the restaurant area that is pictured in the video.

I also went to Dizzy Lamb park/castle invasion for some paint ball. Its also cool to see how they turned that old abandoned theme park into a paint ball arena. 

Hi Tim,

I hadn't heard of Dizzy Lamb - but I had a google. The paintball place have done a great job - restored the features of the park enough for them to be safe but left them looking creepy and abandoned. Much better than letting them sit there to rot!