Best Way to Experience Gold Coast Rides

Tony F100

I've been to the Gold Coast parks a couple of times in the past, and I'll be going there again in early August. When I went to Sea World in 2011, I made the unwise decision not to hold on for the Sea Viper and ended up getting a very sore head, so I'm trying to work out in advance which rides I should/shouldn't hold on for. So I'm wondering whether people could recommend which rides at the Gold Coast parks are safe/comfortable/enjoyable to not hold on for?

9 minutes ago, Tony F100 said:

I've been to the Gold Coast parks a couple of times in the past, and I'll be going there again in early August. When I went to Sea World in 2011, I made the unwise decision not to hold on for the Sea Viper and ended up getting a very sore head, so I'm trying to work out in advance which rides I should/shouldn't hold on for. So I'm wondering whether people could recommend which rides at the Gold Coast parks are safe/comfortable/enjoyable to not hold on for?

Be a man. Hold on for nothing! 

LOL. Usually with a ride I haven't done before, i'll hold on until I 'get a feel for it' - sometimes thats 2 seconds into the first drop, sometimes it's the 2nd or 3rd ride. 

I've ridden Superman Escape many times. I'd never thought to 'not hold on' because of the ejector in the top hat, but I once rode it with @djrappa who lifted his hands above his head pre-launch. Typical ego meant I did it too. The launch then pretty well ripped my arms out of the socket at the shoulder. From then on I learned to brace them bent and slightly forward until the launch had peaked (acceleration force ends around the exit to the building, despite the launch cable continuing for several metres) so I usually put my hands straight up and out as I exit the showbuilding. It makes the ejector something else - especially if you're at the front.

TBH, for me, apart from that one stipulation, there isn't really anything on the coast where i'd 'need' to hold on (Although afterthought - JetRescue also has this initial launch force that you should guard against). I haven't been on the 'new' Cyclone, so that one I couldn't tell you.

I do still find the urge to hold on irresistable on Buzzsaw. Something about those restraints makes you feel the need to hold on.

Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, AlexB said:

TBH, for me, apart from that one stipulation, there isn't really anything on the coast where i'd 'need' to hold on (Although afterthought - JetRescue also has this initial launch force that you should guard against). I haven't been on the 'new' Cyclone, so that one I couldn't tell you.

I do still find the urge to hold on irresistable on Buzzsaw. Something about those restraints makes you feel the need to hold on.

I agree with Jet Rescue and Buzzsaw, however my reasoning for JR is a little different. Every single turn on Jet Rescue always seems to throw me around, which makes for quite an uncomfortable ride at least in my opinion. 

I'd also like to throw Green Lantern into the mix. I can handle the inverted drop or the inline-twst, but the outward banked turn and the dive loop always make me feel incredibly uneasy. You can almost always find me holding on for dear life in those moments

Always arms up for SE launch (and the whole ride), and arms straight out for Arkham. 

Arms up on Buzzsaw is pretty intense when you translation from vertical to upside down, same goes for the roll on GL, but it's too good to hold on and miss that feeling

hands up on jet rescue, yeah, it's a little uneasy, in a "I'm gonna fly out and die" kinda way 

Edited by Brad2912

As others have said, SE and Arkham is great arms up whole ride. TOT2 is meh arms up, but I do it anyway.

As for Buzzsaw, it is very intense when you put your hands up, however I'd advise against it, since there is only a lap bar. Green Lantern is like this to a lesser extent.

Hot Wheels, like Sea Viper is a coaster you should definitely hold on to, otherwise it's a trip off to the chiropractor's to get your neck fixed. I learnt that one the hard way.

Haha watching people have their arms snapped back by an a accelerator never gets old. Very much enjoyed this at Knotts the other day (def the most forceful launch ever). 

I would holding on with Arkham because whilst it doesn't have the restraint to beat up uour head like before, it certainly ain't smooth.