Finally getting my passport! Yay!!!!

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel, and forgive the randomness, but here's a few extras from things I can remember or things I learned from friends before I went.:

Be careful if you like to chew gum. They frown on it in Singapore - and it's actually illegal to sell. Customs will generally allow you a packet to bring in for your own personal use, but if you go through it, find something else as you won't be able to buy more. Take care to dispose of it thoughtfully. Wrap it in a tissue or piece of paper before putting it in the bin. The folks in Singapore are very proud of how clean their city is - and gum is one of those things you won't see stuck all over the footpath. If you can live without it - it's best to leave it at home and take mints instead. Likewise - littering is definitely frowned upon. Always hold onto your rubbish until you find a bin - which won't be too hard to do as they are all over.

There are several 'Merlion' but the original is in Merlion Park outside the fullerton hotel and is worth the trip as it gives an awesome view of the bay. There is of course another on Sentosa (which is a lot bigger), but that's just to cash in on the tourism aspect and it's outlook is nowhere near as grand despite it's size.

I found the lonely planet guidebook for Singapore to be invaluable, also giving tips on things i'd never had thought of - plus the map they provide was all we needed to get around. Most locals have woeful knowledge of how to get from A-B, so if you do find yourself asking someone for directions, be prepared for it to take a while. Many 'locals' are actually labourer immigrants from india and malaysia, and few know anything but where they sleep, eat, and work.

The Singapore Flyer (giant wheel) is also pretty cool.

Singapore is almost right on the equator (it's 1 degree north) so the weather pretty well all-round is temperate. It is hot, and muggy, though glorious during the day. I think I went in September, and our hotel AC ran around the clock on the coldest possible setting just to enable sleep. Stepping outside at 6am was like hitting a brick wall and the heat was oppressive (it actually improves throughout the day). You can expect it to rain almost daily, but usually, although similar to the tropical showers we get on the GC, it lasts only minutes - at around 10am each day. this helps to cool things down, and freshens the air - it's also right around park opening and you'll find Universal's roof invaluable if you get there early. Pack a light spray jacket or a very portable umbrella, but keep an eye on the time and the weather outlook and seek shelter - don't worry - it never lasts long. Humidity is 80% or higher almost every day, with an average of 170mm+ rainfall each month. Average temps are 24-30 degrees almost every day - which combined with the humidity can be killer.

International sim cards may not be needed - Singapore has free wifi in most central locations, shopping malls, coffee shops and your hotel, plus there are free internet cafes (and some paid ones) so you can always get online and communicate back home without needing to change things around. Although most customer facing roles will speak english, the traditions still stick hard - cashiers will usually place coins onto notes, and then profer the notes to you using two hands. Try to remember to accept the notes with two cupped hands also, rather than one.  Although English is their common language - they are 74% chinese, and most will appreciate an effort to say thankyou in Mandarin (Sheh-Sheh). I found this on a tourism website and love the name they give 'western' singaporeans:

Well-educated Singaporeans are expected to code-switch seamlessly between Singlish in casual settings and English in formal situations, while Singaporeans who haven’t had the same level of English education might only speak Singlish. A Singaporean who never speaks Singlish is considered jiak kantang—literally translated as “eat potato” (as opposed to the Asian tradition of eating rice) meaning a Singaporean who behaves more “Western” (read: white) than Asian.

As mentioned previously - their police don't muck around - and many will carry sub machine \ automatic weapons and it can be quite confronting since most Australians rarely see that type of thing in person - especially at the airport and near important government buildings...  They have a really low problem with drugs, and zero tolerance on prohibited items. If you need to take any medication, check smart traveller, or other advisory websites on what you can \ can't bring, and whether you need documentation to bring certain things with you. Also - if you don't have anything nice to say about the people or the government - best to keep quiet - lest you be arrested for defamation (it's a real thing over there).

This is a good read: http://www.goabroad.com/articles/study-abroad/singapore-laws-to-know-before-you-go

If you have the time for some culture - check out some hawker centres - Lau Pa Sat is regarded as the best of these and is well worth the experience! Hawker centres however tend to disregard most social niceties you'd expect in other places - they're quick, efficient at what they do, and they'll get you what you want - and it will be cheap - but not necessarily with any courtesy - especially to a foreigner. Singaporeans love a good deal, so if you see a huge queue, you know that place has the best of whatever they offer.

If you're looking for a seat in a crowded eatery and you see a pack of tissues on a table - that means its reserved. A lot of locals think that that practice (called Chope-ing) is rude - so I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself - but be mindful you may get an angry diner if you take their seat - especially in the hawker centres.

Little India is a residential \ low-end commercial part of Singapore. There is no reason to go there no matter what. Avoid it. at all cost. Likewise if someone approaches you in the street offering bottom dollar prices on top brand merchandise, just ignore them and keep walking. usually they will lead you to a non descript back room whilst their colleague drives the van around with the knock off merchandise (which they keep moving so they don't get caught) and pressure sell. Some of these are good deals on fakes, others end up with you getting robbed. Despite how good the deal may be, avoid street sellers unless their merchandise is on display at a stall freely accessible, and right in front of you.

A lot of things are abbreviated so it helps to know the acronym of the place you're headed for as well as the name. Some of the acronyms that you’ll usually see are: MRT – mass rapid transit, CTE – Central Expressway, MOE – Ministry of Education, SBS – Singapore Bus Service, and GST – Goods and Services Tax (for example).

They're always in a rush, and will push past you to get there first. Be mindful of this when you're near roads or trains - though they do have a very efficient train system (follow the arrows) remember if you can't get on, there will be another one only minutes away.

You'll find little in the way of outright begging for money too - instead they will try to sell you something - things like a packet of tissues and other small nick nacks. best to run with a polite 'no thankyou' and move on. They are quite persistent.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, DJKostya said:

After some unfortunate news I have had to change my upcoming trip to the USA/Canada :(

I now have to spend a whole week at Cedar Point before heading north to Canada's Wonderland then La Ronde. How will I survive :P

La Ronde will cancel out any pleasure you derive from Cedar Point or Canada's Wonderland lol.

^I have no advice about Singapore. I've been on such tight stopovers on the way to Europe that I haven't even seen much of the airport. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures there.

Even if you say Singapore is not great for Coasters the ones they have are pretty good. BSG is great a lunched duelling coaster with one track suspended and one side onto of the tracks. They then have Revenge of the Mummy which is a great dark ride and then their is Puss in boots adventure which is a family themed Zolare (I think thats how you spell it) (suspended roller coaster) Then they have an indoor Sesame street spaghettii chase which is another great themed family coaster and there is one more coaster in Sherks land which is another Vekoma family coaster. So the coasters they'd o have are pretty good quality.

* Make sure you do transformers the ride their it is a must do at USS.

1 hour ago, red dragin said:

Revenge of the Mummy, took some of the fun out of Scooby for me. Awesome ride. 

Transformers, I don't do motion simulation very well, apparently was quite ill looking when I met up with the wife afterwards. Still seriously contemplated going straight back on.

yep it was reading reports of motion sickness that made me skip transformers

if BSG made me feel sick i probably had no hope with Transformers

Edited by grrofunger

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

why did ROTM affect Scoob? I mean I get they're both dark ride coasters, but they're very different... not disagreeing with you just curious how you took that view.

I'm more a thrills person.

What impressed me most was how well the track switch was actually done, had to Google it after. 

I wear glasses so miss a lot on Scooby as it's smaller props. I also find the wild mouse section uncomfortable. Watching the "lights on" TPR video reveals that I miss lots. 

• 1 month later...

Had to postpone, unfortunately. Bit hard to explain, but we've have an unexpected urgent financial priority come up in the meanwhile in the form of saving for a house deposit for next year lol :D So we've had to put the holiday on hold for now.

Definitely still keen on going once we've got the residency sorted out, though ☺️? I might still put our passport apps in, at least that way there's one major hurdle out the way!