Arkham Asylum - VR coaster at Movie World

Gold Coast Bulletin article in today's paper. Movie World will officially announce the unveiling of the southern hemisphere first virtual reality coaster TODAY.

They are installing it on Arkham Asylum and will open in September.

Sorry about poor pic quality

IMG_20160721_060106.jpg

Edited by UpperCoomera
Addition

Happy and yet sad for this. Will be good to see how they do it, sad because it's not the most comfortable ride for me so may not be as enjoyable as it could have been on GL or something else. 

Can't wait to see how they do it though as given all the other additions lately this should be amazing. 

I just hope they work on their load times a bit. 

18 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

I just hope they work on their load times a bit. 

Maybe they have had this is the works for a while and so slowed their load times progressively over time to its current speed so we don't notice a huge impact on it when they introduce this???  :huh:

I think AA is the best choice of ride to introduce this system, and will be interesting to see how the visuals come out, because I've seen some of the videos of it used in other parks and some of it hasn't looked that great. And hopefully it won't reduce the loading time. Does anyone know how you get them in other parks, as in, do you pick one out of a box, or are they attached the rides train, do you collect it while waiting to load the ride, or after the gates open?

image.jpeg

Edited by themagician

Another great choice for MW. Even if they theme it to the Batjet, which might not suit it 100% theming wise, there's no doubt the loops and twists of AA will work really well with it.

I'm mainly worried about it reducing efficiency, but I think since they only have one train they can do the VR distribution/cleaning/whatever during the time that that's cycling.

Edited by Santa07

5 minutes ago, themagician said:

Does anyone know how you get them in other parks, as in, do you pick one out of a box, or are they attached the rides train, do you collect it while waiting to load the ride, or after the gates open?

You collect the headset from the staff member when you enter the load platform. You do not put on the headset until seated on the ride. Once seated it is the usual restraints and checks associated with that. A staff member comes along and tightens all straps on the headset and helps with any issues. There is a QR code on the back of the headrest in front that tells the Gear VR kit you've boarded and to load the "game". Ride as per normal whilst playing the game. Sit in the brake run for around 3-5 minutes. When leaving you hand the headset back where they clean it for the next person or put it on charge.

40 minutes ago, Wyncenuros said:

Maybe they have had this is the works for a while and so slowed their load times progressively over time to its current speed so we don't notice a huge impact on it when they introduce this???  :huh:

You think they've been working on that for the last 10 years?

Perfect ride for it because it's meant to have a DC theme but obviously the second you enter the lift and have a nice view of BOH and the studios that's destroyed. This should provide a truly immersive experience as isn't 'ruining' a quality coaster like say Revolution at Magic Mountain.

My experience is that the guests riding with VR absolutely loved it, and I'm sure it won't be compulsory anyway. Everywhere else I've seen VR isn't available in the front row anyway so you can still get your front seat ride the traditional way.

Never experienced VR on a ride before. it will be interesting and I can’t wait to try.   I know on a few rides that I have ridden you find yourself bracing yourself before you hit a different element.  This is especially true if I have never been on that ride before and you don’t know what to expect.  I wonder if you haven’t ridden this ride before what the experience would feel like with your eyes covered and not knowing where you are on the track.   Does anyone think the VR will include the track into the show or will you be in something like the bat car, freeballing?

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

You think they've been working on that for the last 10 years?

...  Yes...  :huh:

Given your feet dangle it sort of doesn't make sense to have the VR being in a vehicle...  How about ManBat is escaping Arkham, scooped you up, and is being chased by Batman in the Batwing...  Hence dangling legs...  Rolling and flipping to avoid missiles, buildings, etc...

Edited by Wyncenuros

Yes, I did think there would be near misses with your legs.  I don’t know anything about how the VR is delivered and haven’t been that interested before now in finding out.  Will they need to put the ride into another maintenance period to set it up or is it a standalone system?  What is the quality of the vision like?  Some simulators I have ridden like The Simpsons Ride make skeet's tummy rumble a little.  Does VR have this outcome?

52 minutes ago, themagician said:

^I feel like if this was the big announcement, they would've made a lot bigger deal about it. Not just a small article in the paper. I'd say the big announcement will be coming very very soon.

I personally wouldn't be expecting a coaster announcement until January. Too much other stuff to promote before then. 

50 minutes ago, skeetafly said:

Never experienced VR on a ride before. it will be interesting and I can’t wait to try.   I know on a few rides that I have ridden you find yourself bracing yourself before you hit a different element.  This is especially true if I have never been on that ride before and you don’t know what to expect.  I wonder if you haven’t ridden this ride before what the experience would feel like with your eyes covered and not knowing where you are on the track.   Does anyone think the VR will include the track into the show or will you be in something like the bat car, freeballing?

It might be included in a sense like it was at one of the parks overseas. Can't remember which but Google vr rollercoaster and it should come up. 

3 hours ago, themagician said:

I think AA is the best choice of ride to introduce this system, and will be interesting to see how the visuals come out, because I've seen some of the videos of it used in other parks and some of it hasn't looked that great. And hopefully it won't reduce the loading time. Does anyone know how you get them in other parks, as in, do you pick one out of a box, or are they attached the rides train, do you collect it while waiting to load the ride, or after the gates open?

image.jpeg

I totally agree. It's the ride I had predicted for VR months ago, and I think it's the best option as well, due to the length and track design. It also breathes another new lease of life into what would probably be the oldest ride there now!

Very excited to experience my favourite coaster from a brand new point of view ???

Edited by Theme Park Girl

20 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

I personally wouldn't be expecting a coaster announcement until January. Too much other stuff to promote before then. 

But if this is a 'world's best' attraction, and is a coaster, then I'd imagine it to be quite big, and that would take quite a long time wouldn't it? And depending on where it's built, major ground works may be required, so they'd have to start earlier if they were aiming for a Summer 2017 opening, as an example. So wouldn't they have to start towards to the end of this year, so they would announce it just before construction began?

From the official website:

"Get ready for a high voltage thrill on the world’s first Arkham Asylum themed ride!

This crazy experience will have adrenaline junkies harnessed into the Ivy League of Insanity for the shock of their life.

Strap into a brand new train featuring electrifying on board audio and rocket through Arkham Asylum at speeds of up to 85km. Race along in the terrifying new trains and experience awesome upper body freedom like never before. Pull 4.2Gs as you face five stomach-churning inversions on this not to be missed coaster.

Only the bravest of people can enter the Asylum to face one of the most infamous criminal minds on the planet, The Joker, as he attempts to infect all of Gotham City with dangerous monsters. With The Joker on the loose, riders will need to beware as the likes of Harley Quinn and Killer Croc could lurk around any corner."

http://movieworld.com.au/rides-and-attractions/thrill-rides/arkham-asylum.aspx

ETA: Bugger. Just realised that that's the normal ride blurb, despite the image on it being updated to show the VR headsets being used ? Damn, thought we had a potential storyline then ?

Edited by Theme Park Girl

• Richard changed the title to Arkham Asylum - VR coaster at Movie World