Arkham Asylum - VR coaster at Movie World

33 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I tried this for the first time yesterday. It's $5 which while I'd rather it was free isn't unreasonable and I hope they will make it free once they've recovered their initial cost a bit.

MW should open the gates for free?

19 minutes ago, mission said:

I dunno if it was just me, but AA seems really, really rough at the moment, I couldn't wait to get off it. 

It's you.

^ Pretty sure that's a joke rather than a nitpick.

FWIW though I also went for my first ride on Arkham with VR the other day, and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised.  Actually I came off the ride gushing about how great it was, and I don't gush often.  

I'm also totally in favour of the $5 fee.  It means they can dedicate an entire staff member too it, and keeps usage down enough that it doesn't have a major affect on capacity, and Arkham needs all the capacity it can get.  My hope with it is that in a few years it makes adding a second train an economical no brainer.

As for roughness, to be honest I didn't notice it being rough or the leg tightness which I know it can induce.  Certainly wasn't worse than normal though.

6 hours ago, mission said:

I was there yesterday, didn't do VR though but I have in the past.

I dunno if it was just me, but AA seems really, really rough at the moment, I couldn't wait to get off it.  

It's actually a good layout but so uncomfortable....

An old Vekoma SLC, rough?! No way!

12 minutes ago, joz said:

As for roughness, to be honest I didn't notice it being rough or the leg tightness which I know it can induce.  Certainly wasn't worse than normal though.

I suppose I went on it straight after Superman and it's been since Fright Night that I've been on it.

It was rough and yeah, my legs were getting squashed at the end pretty badly too.

Edit: Is Blue Tornado exactly the same as AA - it looks like it is.

Edit: never mind, wiki tells me it is.

Edited by mission

@mission

Welcome to the world of coasters!

I'm going to help you out, there's a website www.rcdb.com.   You can search any ride by type, of particular relevance to you is https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8326.  Those are all the rides the same as Arkham, and yes, Blue Tornado is one of them.

This link may also interest you https://rcdb.com/8193.htm

I'm not necessarily saying I want them to do this, and I'm pretty certain they don't intend to, but imagine if they created virtual reality for the Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster.

The big advantage as I see it is they could potentially create several different themed experiences, but all fitting the track layout. You would simply choose one as you get on the ride. Preferably you'd also wear a headset so you could hear sound appropriate to the theme you chose.

This pretty much assumes everyone would use virtual reality (unlike on Askham where only a few seem to). Therefore I strongly believe there should be no additional charge for it if it was installed on SDSC.

The big advantages of this would be:

- No need for them to spend money on replacing the themeing they removed. Effectively they get several new themes, and virtually several new rides, with the ability to create more at relatively low cost (compared to a completely new built ride).

- Riders get to ride it several times in one day but with completely different experiences. These need not necessarily be related to Scooby Doo (obviously they'd need to re-work the front facade and queue room).

It could be sort of like a new-age "Choose Your Own Adventure" book!

Anyway just an idea!

Edited by pushbutton

Interesting idea @pushbutton but I don't think we'll ever see it happen. Having that many VR goggles would cost heaps of money, and I'm sure the park would be looking for a return (i.e charging a small fee to use the goggles). You'd also have people who wouldn't want to pay the extra money, and would just be left with a dark wild mouse with no theming (which coincidentally, is what it is now :P). I'd love to see VR added to SDSC, but with theming there also so people could enjoy the ride without the need for VR.

9 minutes ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Interesting idea @pushbutton but I don't think we'll ever see it happen. Having that many VR goggles would cost heaps of money, and I'm sure the park would be looking for a return (i.e charging a small fee to use the goggles). You'd also have people who wouldn't want to pay the extra money, and would just be left with a dark wild mouse with no theming (which coincidentally, is what it is now :P). I'd love to see VR added to SDSC, but with theming there also so people could enjoy the ride without the need for VR.

Well, that would be another way to have two completely different experiences available. The free one and one with a small price (similar to Arkham except even the free one would have a great theme throughout).

Also remember VR is not good for a lot of people. There are a lot of issues that might never be sorted out. At the moment it works as there are few using them, causing only those who really want to try it out. While those who think they might have issues don't bother (saving money). If everyone had to use vr to experience the ride, these people would likely ride (as its free and the alternative is missing a ride). This would end with a bunch of issues being exposed. 

I for one would only ride and ride that is fully vr once. I study computer engineering and have dealt with the main vr systems and regularly have issues, mostly with getting headaches (within minutes of use). So I would likely ride once to see what the ride is like, but really wouldn't do it twice.  Although I like the idea in theory, in practice I don't think it would work. 

• 1 month later...