Arkham Asylum - VR coaster at Movie World

15 hours ago, Gazza said:

Worth knowing it is EFTPOS / Credit payment only at the window.

When did they change that?  Wife went to go on it and had no cash only card and they told her she needed to go to the photo outlet at the front of the park to purchase it as they could only accept cash at AA...  Signage also showed cash only...

1 hour ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

When did they change that?  Wife went to go on it and had no cash only card and they told her she needed to go to the photo outlet at the front of the park to purchase it as they could only accept cash at AA...  Signage also showed cash only...

I'm pretty sure it's always been EFT only.  Maybe the machines were down on the day you were there.

1 hour ago, mission said:

I'm pretty sure it's always been EFT only.  Maybe the machines were down on the day you were there.

Their permanent signage states at the bottom cash only and that to purchase with CC or EFT it has to be elsewhere in park...  Sadly can only find one photo of it online and is too small to read...  Signage on the right...  Credit to Theme Park Review for image

thumb_img_5114_2.jpg

They must have changed it because I definitely paid with card and I've watched others pay with card after they tried to hand over cash and it was refused.

Card makes sense as it would probably be fairly easy for the attendant to hand out the VR sets and pocket the cash, if you're that way inclined.....

I disagree. 

Cash handling in theme parks is something where a lot of faith is placed in the operator. Many skill games and such have no registers or surveillance of any kind. You need to trust your staff - and it would be a surefire way to lose your job if you were pocketing it - plus way too many ways to get caught with constant staff and guests within close proximity... so i doubt anyone would risk it, ESPECIALLY since the VR software is probably capable of downloading how many times it has played - which would be an easy way to audit VR usage.

More than likely it is a pain in the ass spot to do cash runs to to make sure they have enough change. Only downside is doesn't your card then get considered a "loose item"? 

More than likely it is a pain in the ass spot to do cash runs to to make sure they have enough change. Only downside is doesn't your card then get considered a "loose item"? Yes the same as coins would. 

12 hours ago, Reanimated35 said:

I just don't trust others not to grab something as they're leaving. Chances aren't high. I just have trust issues. 

I usually like to sit in the back on Arkham (or Arnhem as it's now known). I place my stuff in a box that i have a sight line to. When we arrive back in the station, i'm usually pretty quick to disembark, and i have my hands on my bag before most people are out of their seats.

11 hours ago, red dragin said:

Would only be the one person once the floor drops? 

You do realise, they can walk across the lowered floor right?

I've seen plenty do it. During single train operation, once the train has cleared the station, there really is zero risk. Sure they could trip and fall, but with the floor lowered, they'd be in no danger of collision. So long as they didn't do it near the front \ rear edges, I can't see why they couldn't.

I've seen track crossings at Scooby too. The operator gets the attention of the control room, crosses their arms over their chest and waits for permission to proceed. You can cross a live track provided certain safety points have been met. Given Arkham has the floor, I really can't see the issue.

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

I usually like to sit in the back on Arkham (or Arnhem as it's now known). I place my stuff in a box that i have a sight line to. When we arrive back in the station, i'm usually pretty quick to disembark, and i have my hands on my bag before most people are out of their seats.

Same here, when I have bags/glasses/valuables on me and need to store them in the boxes I'm often quite concerned about them which is why I'm always up and out of my seat very quickly.

Not so sure AlexB. Scooby has a provision in the ride control to allow track crossing that won't allow the cars to advance if in crossing mode. 

If Arkham is programmed just to bring the train back into the station I would dare say staff aren't permitted to cross the dropped floor mid cycle.

As for loose items, guess I just have a little trust left in the world that I don't think twice about leaving items behind. Hell in the US it's common practice just to leave your bag on the platform. I think it would just be a miserable existence to go around all day paranoid someone was gonna steal my stuff.

2 hours ago, djrappa said:

Not so sure AlexB. Scooby has a provision in the ride control to allow track crossing that won't allow the cars to advance if in crossing mode. 

If Arkham is programmed just to bring the train back into the station I would dare say staff aren't permitted to cross the dropped floor mid cycle.

At the risk of derailing the thread - call it curiosity here - but IS Arkham programmed to bring the trains straight back into the station? I know in the Lethal days, as it was programmed two-train operation, the final brake run wouldn't advance automatically. I know some other coasters where the final brake run is a dead man brake, and the operator has to hold the release button in to allow the train to clear it.

I must say I don't remember WHEN i've seen operators do it, but I have - and it may very well have been in the old lethal days... but for me, I can't see them reprogramming the entire ride logic when the trains were upgraded - sure it'd need adjustment, but why take out code if you don't need to?

That said - if a single-train coaster has departed the station to a degree where anti-rollbacks prevent the train from re-entering from the front, even if the brakes are automatic-park enabled, you've got a fair bit of time to take the one-step-down-two-steps-over-one-step-up journey across the station - and even if you somehow got stuck halfway across, the train re-enters at a snails pace, and there is plenty of distance between the floor and the cars that you aren't going to get hit.

I really don't see the problem with doing it, TBH, as long as you have agreed procedures to do it. Worst case, if you stumble \ get stuck, the operator can always hit the e-stop at the final brake run, but really, chances of that happening are beyond minute.