DCA Tower of Terror -> Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!

westical

It's so odd looking at the concept art. I know it's a new ride with a new story and setting, but all I can see is the Hollywood Tower Hotel staring right back at me.

It'll be interesting to see what changes are made, but I can't say I'm enthused. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is one of the newest classic rides at the Disney Parks, so it saddens me to see one of them go away. Disney spent years to try and make DCA seem cohesive, but now it seems like that's going to all go out the window.

I'm a massive fan of California's version of ToT; one of my favourite darkrides. I love how the hollywood tower looks just like another hotel amongst the Anaheim skyline (albeit really run-down). It just fits geographically with the real Hollywood just down the road as well. I'm in my early twenties and I understand the theme, even if i've never watched a Twillight Zone episode in my life.

I wish they didn't have to do this, but just like WVTPs, Disney knows superheroes sell more merch. and appeal more to a younger audience. Disney will do a good job with the re-theme....and superhero fans will love it. I think Disney's long term plan is to transform the whole hollywood blvrd area into sort of a marvel land. Looks like they are starting with this re-theme.

Edited by Luke

While the superhero trend is great and all, it would've been so much better to build a new ride than redo a classic. It works and I'm sure it will be great for the park in terms of teen market appeal but it destroys a classic ride. A marvel themed area is a really good idea but did it really have to take over this? I'm assuming the ones in Orlando and Paris are going to stay, thank god we've got several of them around the world.

It may be sad, but Disney doesn't cater to people who have grown up in the 1980's. This had to happen eventually, since anyone who was born past 1995 probably wouldn't know what The Twilight Zone is. It may be a classic, but the IP is simply no longer relevant to Disney's current target market of young people. This decision is logical for that reason.

I don't know why this is getting a massive backlash, because Disney has made the right decision here to refresh the ride to a more current IP. I know older audiences will be saddened, but that is not Disney's target market.

I, for one, are excited about the new ride, since I'm a massive Marvel fan.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

Why is it really relevant that 

24 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

It may be sad, but Disney doesn't cater to people who have grown up in the 1980's. This had to happen eventually, since anyone who was born past 1995 probably wouldn't know what The Twilight Zone is. It may be a classic, but the IP is simply no longer relevant to Disney's current target market of young people. This decision is logical for that reason.

I don't know why this is getting a massive backlash, because Disney has made the right decision here to refresh the ride to a more current IP. I know older audiences will be saddened, but that is not Disney's target market.

I, for one, are excited about the new ride, since I'm a massive Marvel fan.

Other than vaguely knowing Twilight Zone was an old TV show, I don't think that really matters...it's a consistently popular ride, and the story makes sense to anyone, no matter when they were born.

The way the Disneysea ride does it, without referencing the TV show should be proof of that surely?

10 hours ago, Santa07 said:

While the superhero trend is great and all, it would've been so much better to build a new ride than redo a classic. It works and I'm sure it will be great for the park in terms of teen market appeal but it destroys a classic ride. A marvel themed area is a really good idea but did it really have to take over this? I'm assuming the ones in Orlando and Paris are going to stay, thank god we've got several of them around the world.

Orlando most likely not because of the whole Marvel Superhero Island at Universal's Islands of Adventure. Same with Tokyo.

Yep - Universal still has the Marvel rights (i believe into perpetuity) on the east coast. I'm certain though that WDW will find a different theme to repurpose the ToT there.

Right now I think Disney is trying to make the most of Marvel where it can, to put pressure on Universal to relinquish the rights. It'll require a big payout but usually Disney gets what it wants.

I agree this hot mess is going to ruin the skyline of DCA and the surrounds.

As for the differences between WDW and DCA, DCA goes straight up and down. WDW has horizontal movement as the car moves from the rear lift through the floor to the drop lift at the front.

Have they appeared on the resort property, or have they appeared INSIDE a park.

Universal's license relates to theme parks ONLY. They don't have any rights outside of the parks themselves. As I understand it, the Florida monorails at Disney received a wrap for Guardians (might have been a different marvel franchise tho?), but these wrapped monorails were restricted to resort lines. they weren't run on any monorails that entered INSIDE park property.

On 24 July 2016 at 1:23 PM, Zanstabar said:

It's so odd looking at the concept art. I know it's a new ride with a new story and setting, but all I can see is the Hollywood Tower Hotel staring right back at me.

It'll be interesting to see what changes are made, but I can't say I'm enthused. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is one of the newest classic rides at the Disney Parks, so it saddens me to see one of them go away. Disney spent years to try and make DCA seem cohesive, but now it seems like that's going to all go out the window.

I remember hearing a lot of people just a few years back actively hating on it and saying it was the worst of the Disney Tower of Terror rides. Change is good.

21 hours ago, iwerks said:

Maybe they were just down voting his cool pirate earring. :D

I heard that the Twilight Zone I.P. was going to run out.  Good thing DisneySea's superb version does not refer to the Twilight Zone at all.

IMG_5837.JPG

Can confirm DisneySea's version is utterly superb from head to toe and is visually spectacular at night when it's operating.