DCA Tower of Terror -> Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!

westical

Thats a preview screening, not an attraction. I'm not aware of the specifics of the license, but airing a condensed preview film (as opposed to say one of the 4D films where it IS a ride unto itself) is probably the difference here. 

I still don't see a themed attraction as such.

The license allows (Disney to build) attractions for characters that aren't associated with those in use at Universal. (In this case; The Avengers and X-men)

If Disney were to build an attraction with any character in use at Universal/involved with one of either the Avengers or X-Men; then Disney is in breach of the contract. The Guardians of the Galaxy will be in Avengers Infinity War, and means Disney will be unable to use them in the WDW parks.

Therefore, unless a contract/license buyout occurs (or whatever is needed for Disney to be able to create these attractions), Guardians of the Galaxy will be unable to appear in WDW parks as of the release of Avengers Infinity War. (May 4, 2018) - Which means Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios is safe. (for now) ...and that Disney can use the characters for whatever they want up until that date.

This is just my interpretation, and, may be (and is most likely) incorrect.

Edited by ThemeTendo
Fixed a few small issues

It's actually much simpler than that @ThemeTendo. Universal own Marvel attraction rights in the contiguous United States to the east of the Mississippi. In all other operating countries and everywhere to the west of the Mississippi within the United States, Disney is legally allowed to use Marvel IP on attractions.

1 hour ago, JacobSibbald said:

It's actually much simpler than that @ThemeTendo. Universal own Marvel attraction rights in the contiguous United States to the east of the Mississippi. In all other operating countries and everywhere to the west of the Mississippi within the United States, Disney is legally allowed to use Marvel IP on attractions.

I wasn't very consistent with my wording, but when I said Disney Parks I was meant to just say Walt Disney World in particular. But @westical is right, it's not that simple. But you are technically right as Universal can use any Marvel character (I believe); but:

East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used)

As I said in my previous post, as the Guardians of the Galaxy will be starring in an Avengers movie, their use in Walt Disney World will no longer be acceptable as per the agreement. (as of the films release date: 04/05/2018)

Whilst noting that the use of The Avengers in the original contract was an example, it would be interesting to see the extent of the characters that are referred to as part of The Avengers "family". A quick look at the characters that make up The Avengers finds almost all Marvel superheroes having some association with them at some point in time. I personally think the core, original cast would currently form the "family", with those featured in Infinity War outside of this group considered separate entities. In that case, the rumoured Guardians attraction at Universe of Energy could hypothetically go ahead.

On 07/26/16 at 0:58 AM, JacobSibbald said:

Not just the East of the Mississippi. Disney can't use Marvel in Japan due to Universal having Marvel characters, and the Spiderman ride in Universal Studios Japan. Disney could only use Marvel in Disneyland Resort, Disneyland Paris resort, Hong Kong Disneyland, and Shanghai Disneyland.

Edited by omega237

• 5 months later...