Goliath - Adventure World’s new Intamin Gyro Swing

Tim Dasco

Drove past AW about an hour ago and tried to have a sneak peak of mi3 as I passed. As I thought would have been done, all of the support beams have been themed to the material/theming we saw on Creative Works' FB page (Photo below). I also saw some objects on the flat land in front of the Abyss' crest outside the park in which I don't know how to describe, they were round and looked like they were made out of stone. I'll try to attach some photos of them tomorrow but they will be crappy quality, I'm not sure if they are apart of mi3 or just some maintenance from around AW.

-Michael

IMG_2169.PNG

2 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Closer view of Mi3.  Does this mean Abyss is finally getting aircon in its queue line?!

IMG_9051a.JPG

IMG_9051b.JPG

Making my post pointless!! Haha. Great pictures here. Thanks for the update, did you see the objects up the top of the mountain?

30 minutes ago, Slick said:

Looks like a Huss Frisbee structure (their smaller model to the "Giant Frisbee" that's at Fuji-Q).

It could be but I think it would be doubtful. Given Adventure World's experience with the Huss drop tower, Inferno, I think they would be reluctant to deal with Huss. Certainly Mark Shaw was less than complimentary about the drop ride and I think that would be a vital clue.....

1 minute ago, Jobe said:

It could be but I think it would be doubtful. Given Adventure World's experience with the Huss drop tower, Inferno, I think they would be reluctant to deal with Huss. Certainly Mark Shaw was less than complimentary about the drop ride and I think that would be a vital clue.....

Mark actualy said Mi3 was definatly not from Huss when I asked.

Looks pretty much like an Intamin comparing with the construction of Loke at Liseberg. There's some very distinctive seams at the top of the A frame.

Its a good ride of course, but would have preferred something more unique to Australia (I acknowledge that Perth is basically a separate market to the rest of the parks here)

20170703_131447.jpg

Just to start off, I know how bad the quality is in this photo. I was driving passed AW yesterday and I pulled out my phone to take some photos (iPhone 5s so obviously not going to be the best of quality also as I was moving due to being in a vehicle). There are these objects and I was wondering if anyone else got any photos of them because they would help out as these photos are really bad quality (Maybe iwerks as you got some photos yesterday). Anyways, I know it's hard to see but the first thing just looks like a big kahuna (Tiki) bin and than I don't know what the next objects are. They are circular and I'm not sure if they have anything to do with mi3. Here is the photo:

IMG_2194.JPG

Edited by ABYSS

Mark did say that mi3 will have a cutting edge feature that will make it different to the other installations. I have an idea as to what this could be. Loke at Liseberg swings over its neighbouring rides, see where I'm going here? Abyss. What if mi3's ginormous swing attacks Abyss to the point where you feel as though the two are going to collide and you are going to be crushed. However I don't know if this would be possible. The more logical way that the ride would be positioned would be to swing along ways against the Abyss instead of interfering with it. Would there be enough space? Would this idea interfere with the SkyLift? You guys tell me what you think about this idea.

-Michael

1 hour ago, Aw hype said:

Extremely stupid concept but imagine if the 'unique' feature was there being 2 swings? Seems highly unlikely from sources provided but just speculation

Not exactly as stupid of an idea as you may think. Looking back a couple of pages to where NearMap images were supplied, we can see that the support gaps have a wider gap facing towards the Abyss, maybe my theory may actually be correct, maybe we are going to see mi3 swing over Abyss. You can see that the wider part supports my idea (where there are red lines have a wider support structure space), I'm pretty sure the narrow part wouldn't be the direction in which it would swing. Also if it were to swing in the direction of the black widow and the opposite end toward the lagoon, it would swing very close to the rampage's queue's roof. I'm sorry if this all sounds confusing. Photo:

IMG_2196.PNG

Edited by ABYSS

Um the pole structure has been completed and we can see that it will swing the other way from the Rampage across to black widow. I personally think that the cutting edge feature that will enhance the ride experience is the Lap bars like Loke. As that will really make the ride experience different from most of the other insulations IE claw.

57 minutes ago, ABYSS said:

the support gaps have a wider gap facing towards the Abyss

That should have been your first clue. The gap that the gondola swings through will always be narrower than the side it doesn't. Wider spacing is in the direction of travel, to better brace against the forces of the ride - kind of how if I hit you with an exercise ball whilst your feet are planted side by side, you're more likely to fall over, whereas if you're standing with your legs widely splayed to the side, a hit from the side would see you remain standing.

Like this:

0fhxly2koh5_large.jpg?v=1479314468

Notice that the 'wider spacing' is the side not travelled through, to provide better bracing in the direction of travel...

29 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Um the pole structure has been completed and we can see that it will swing the other way from the Rampage across to black widow. I personally think that the cutting edge feature that will enhance the ride experience is the Lap bars like Loke. As that will really make the ride experience different from most of the other insulations IE claw.

8 minutes ago, AlexB said:

That should have been your first clue. The gap that the gondola swings through will always be narrower than the side it doesn't. Wider spacing is in the direction of travel, to better brace against the forces of the ride - kind of how if I hit you with an exercise ball whilst your feet are planted side by side, you're more likely to fall over, whereas if you're standing with your legs widely splayed to the side, a hit from the side would see you remain standing.

Like this:

0fhxly2koh5_large.jpg?v=1479314468

Notice that the 'wider spacing' is the side not travelled through, to provide better bracing in the direction of travel...

Okay, I see. I'm just an uneducated speculator and I actually didn't know that. That makes sense. Thanks for letting me know. Now I just feel dumb. If I would have looked up at the pictures I would have seen that I was wrong. Anyways I'm just to hyped to ride this monster. :P

Edited by ABYSS

All good mate. You obviously put quite a bit of thought into your idea - even so much as marking up an image to show what you thought. I figured you at least deserved to have as much thought and detail put into explaining the opposite.

It doesn't mean you're dumb. So long as you learn from it - ie: next time you have an idea - check into it a little to see if it makes out, based on what other info is out there.

I'm glad you're excited about it. that's really what this community is all about, isn't it? :)

About to head past AW in about 10 mins not going to stop or anything but going to try and see what's been done. Weather hasn't been the best here in Perth so not sure if it's slowed down construction at all. I'll try to get some photos and I will post them if they are ok but otherwise I will definitely update everyone with what's going on.