Goliath - Adventure World’s new Intamin Gyro Swing

Tim Dasco

Just a quick trip report from Adventure World's Fright Nights.  If you haven't been (and you live in Perth), you've got to go.  The park is so full of atmosphere during its Fright Night events: hats off to Mark and his team on making it look so cool.  The atmosphere around all of the rides and especially skull rock was awesome. Great to see so many people (especially kids) out there supporting the park.  It was hilarious to see all the parents waiting outside at closing time. 

Didn't catch a lot of the zombie action as the haunters disappeared around 9pm.  My favourite was the pointing woman, who seemed to be following me around everywhere.  I thought the entertainment was good - I'm an especially big fan of Magnus Danger Magnus (or Vlad).  It was amazing to see all of the long queues for the rides, but that wasn't high on my agenda.  It was also crazy to see how many people went swimming last night - it wasn't half as warm as it was last year.  

Inferno wasn't working and had sandbags on it - I presume it had been testing recently.  The area for the Extreme Circus has also been cleared away, ready for the big tent.  Otherwise, had a very entertaining time.  It's always great to see our parks open at night and I look forward to AW's next big event.

IMG_0675b.JPG

IMG_0660b.JPG

IMG_0782b.JPG

IMG_0757c.JPG

IMG_0699c.JPG

IMG_0577b.JPG

IMG_0579b.JPG

IMG_0639b.JPG

IMG_0605c.JPG

IMG_0703b.JPG

IMG_0790b.JPG

IMG_0783c.JPG

IMG_0768b.JPG

You should really enjoy it, Tim. It'll blow you away how different the park is at night. Be prepared for long queues as there'll be massive crowds and keep warm because it looks like it'll be quite cold tonight.

There's still plenty to see and do even if you don't go on the rides.

Edited by iwerks

I just got home from Fright Nights and I wanted to say a few things. Fright Nights was a great, fun night. Despite the cold weather it was fun and the water slides were enjoyable. I noticed that the Water Mountain waterslides seem warmer than the other ones. (including Kraken) I was brave enough to take on all the water rides and ended up being freezing. Abyss is AWsome with the flame throwers and I managed to squeeze in on the last ride of the night at 10:50pm. A lot of the rides seemed busy. Kraken queue was full, Abyss line was full including the bottom area and the Rampage and Black Widow had very large lines surrounding the rides. The park atmosphere is just incredible. The music, lighting, fog and scare actors just help make the atmosphere great and it really is different to how the park looks at day time. I must congratulate Mark and all the team members. The customer service was top notch. So many employees were being so friendly. The customer service at Adventure World is just outstanding and the staff were giving out high fives and I even saw some higher up staff trying to get people waiting in lines to do dabs. Plus I managed to get a high five from mark :) I saw Mark throughout the night running around and making sure everything was running smoothly. 

Just one quick thing. Are the fireworks no longer there because of what happened with the castle? But anyway I had a great night and it was well worth the price. Thanks Mark and team for an AWsome night out.

13 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

@Mark Shaw is Inferno having problems again?

we do have an issue with a sensor and were hampered in our inspections on Saturday due to the poor weather conditions (for climbing the structure). We have Huss dialling into look at the PLC tonight so hopefully we shall get some answers. Its frustrating as she was running very smoothly before. Thanks for the FN feedback IWERKS and Tim, I will certainly pass on to the team.

No problems Mark, thank you for providing a fun and enjoyable night and I will defiantly be returning next year. This was my first ever fright nights and I am sad I did not go in the past. I am looking forward to seeing what summer nights is like. You and your team should feel really proud of your efforts. It was cool to see your staff so keen with the event by all of them being dressed up in costumes. Do you think a walk through scare maze will ever be a possibility? 

It must be really be frustrating having all these problems with Inferno. Plus having it closed during a major event. Hopefully you can keep her running till after MI3 launches. I think it's safe to say MI3 is not from Huss.

Edited by Tim Dasco

1 minute ago, Tim Dasco said:

No problems Mark, thank you for providing a fun and enjoyable night and I will defiantly be returning next year. This was my first ever fright nights and I am sad I did not go in the past. I am looking forward to seeing what summer nights is like.

It must be really be frustrating having all these problems with Inferno. Plus having it closed during a major event. Hopefully you can keep her running till after MI3 launches. I think it's safe to say MI3 is not from Huss.

Indeed you are correct on that assumption!

4 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Just a quick thought has it ever been considered to run fright nights across 2 weekends instead of just the Halloween weekend? So this can allow more people to come.

yes it has and one day it will. ticket sales are only at capacity on the saturday so far though.  As we build the event and product that is the strategy.

I had the privilege of working as a ghoul on Friday and Saturday night - atmosphere and theming was incredible, and place was packed - especially Saturday. It was a lot younger crowd then I expected - a big (good) difference to the old pool parties they used to have. The fire on the Abyss was great

However, with Bountys gone and  Free fall out of action the park was really missing the dry rides. The queues were longer than I've ever seen, and I suspect the people lining up for Abyss and Rampage at 9 wouldnt actually have gotten to ride before close. 

Rampage and Black Widow had massive lines. The queue buildings were full and black widows line went down the Abyss. Abyss queue line closed at 10pm but they let some people in closer to 11 once the queue had cleared. I think once MI3 is built next year should help even out the dry ride collection. (Hopefully Inferno is back in action for next years fright nights. Or back in action full stop.)

@AlexB yeah everyone fine. Just a massive line for a Power Surge ride. 

I was actually surprised at how busy some of the water slides were considering how cold it was. Kraken's queue line complexity filled up. But the mat slides which had warmer water was walk on.

Edited by Tim Dasco

19 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Holy shit - is everyone ok?

Glad to see you so concerned, Alex. I hope that won't put you off your next visit to the park.

AW must have sold lots of fast passes on the weekend. I saw the Grand Prix Raceway with the fast pass queue and the regular queue almost meeting up.

On 10/31/2016 at 1:43 PM, Mark Shaw said:

we do have an issue with a sensor and were hampered in our inspections on Saturday due to the poor weather conditions (for climbing the structure). We have Huss dialling into look at the PLC tonight so hopefully we shall get some answers. Its frustrating as she was running very smoothly before. Thanks for the FN feedback IWERKS and Tim, I will certainly pass on to the team.

darn it.. i was planning to visit adventure world instead of the gold coast at all this year.. now that dw is closed. I really love drop rides.. is there any chance it will be running by the end of the month? It is starting to sound like you should sell this ride and replace it with a more reliable model. I have never been to AW let alone Western Australia, and I am very much looking forward to the Abyss at least.

Also, does your power surge have any maximum height restrictions? I am 1.93 metres and for some reason that no one has been able to answer, i can't ride the local melbourne luna park one as they have a 1.9m maximum. I have searched as much information i can find world wide on power surges, and i can't find any others with a maximum height limit and luna park themselves can't tell me the reason. It is really confusing but I just want to be certain I can ride everything there if I am going to go to this expense. Cheers!

@pazzap inferno/freefall I believe has a maximum height requirement of 1.9 meters due to the harness not locking down. Someone correct me if I am wrong. The ride has been open this season however has had some problems last week. I think Mark is going to try and keep inferno open until MI3 opens as a replacement next year.

Make sure you come to the park in bathers if you intend on riding Kraken and other water slides. I highly recomend doing them. Adventure world is very different to other theme parks. You can go on all rides and walk around the park without a shirt on/ in bathers. You can also go around the park and on rides bare foot including Abyss.

Hopfully the park is busy this weekend to make up for the cold weather Perth has had lately. 36 degrees on Saturday unfortunate I will be in Northam doing a survival camp where it will be 40 degrees.

• Gazza changed the title to Adventure World 2017- 'MI3' Ride