Goliath - Adventure World’s new Intamin Gyro Swing

Tim Dasco

Looks great, although it might be difficult to get a good shot of it as you'd have to take your camera past the queue area. Will be interesting to see how this affects the rapids experience.

With all this talk of VR, @Mark Shaw, any thoughts about turning Yarli's Safari into a ghost train for Fright Nights?

2 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Looks great, although it might be difficult to get a good shot of it as you'd have to take your camera past the queue area. Will be interesting to see how this affects the rapids experience.

With all this talk of VR, @Mark Shaw, any thoughts about turning Yarli's Safari into a ghost train for Fright Nights?

yeah, if you got a spare couple a hundred thousand? :)

Dreamworld have great Mining theming they have made a massive mountain themed to an abandoned mine ride that has been abandoned and not touched in over 10 years. Oh wait thats not theming. :) 

@iwerks I think this photo was taken from the Lagoon side. Keep in mind you should be able to get photos from the Sky Lift and the Abyss area if the theming goes around the mountain. 

AW have posted another sneak peek of the new theming around the TOT. It actual from the way the photos was taken makes the ride look scary as your heading into a mining tunnel and cannot see a thing. I hope they kept the arrows inside the slide as they are awsome. AW have seemed to have done an Amazing job with Water Mountain. It looks awesome and I can't wait to see it in person. Sadly I am working for the next few weeks (week days and weekends) so I want be able to cheek it out for a while. Hopefully someone can gets some photos. :) 

14355771_10154431292474564_4850944758588018363_n.jpg

AW have really proven first with Kraken and now with Water Mountain that it is very very possible to theme water slides. "Cough" Wet N Wild WWW "cough" I think AW have basically since 2010 re-themed the entire park. I can't think of an area that has not been themed. I think they will most likely focus on the animal area or adding to existing areas (IE Nautical land with the other waterslides.) in future none MI years. 

But anyway well done @Mark Shaw and your team for making AW an AWsome and immersive theme park and I can't wait till I can come again and see these changes.

Edited by Tim Dasco

1 hour ago, Tim Dasco said:

<snip>as they are awsome. <snip>

<snip>It looks awesome <snip>

<snip>so I want be able to cheek it out for a while.<snip>

AW have really proven first with Kraken and now with Water Mountain that it is very very possible to theme water slides. "Cough" Wet N Wild WWW "cough"

You missed two opportunities to capitalise <pun intended> on the AWesomeness of AW.

I don't want to make a big noise of it Tim, but can you proof your posts a little better please? - a lot of them seem to have either auto correct issues, or completely misused words - for example in the above snip - want instead of won't and cheek instead of check. I do find your posts a little tricky to read sometimes because i'm struggling to work out which word you actually meant to use.

As for theming, yes - slides can be heavily themed, and I find this is usually the case for a wet and dry park (i'm thinking about AW and Jamberoo here) where the park isn't a dry park with some slides, or a wet park with some dry rides, but a fusion of the two. Theming is an integral part of the experience across the park. I think what AW have put into improving these attractions is wonderful. Amazing even - definitely AWesome... and please don't think that what i'm about to say is in any way intended to say that AW shouldn't do these things, because they're great... but...

When it comes to parks that set out to be 'just' a water park - thinking WnW or WWW, I don't think a heavy theme is needed. Some water parks do very elaborate themes, and those parks are amazing, but WnW, for example - doesn't pretend to be a themed area. They do have areas (extreme H2O zone for example), but for the most part the park is nicely landscaped... and thats it. It doesn't need to be any more than that to slide down a fibreglass chute into a pool.

WWW set out to have an aussie \ beach theme, and they have some giant thongs, and some aussie throwback names for their slides (BRO was very well done IMO) but you don't need anything more than that.

All I ask from a waterpark is to not have concrete hot enough to burn your feet, and to manage attractions in such a way that you don't spend an hour queueing in either baking sun or freezing wind before getting a 40 second (or less) ride.

@AlexB Regarding me proof reading my post i make sure I proof read my post multiple times before I post. However I have dyslexia and can't recognise these mistakes. So if I make some I am sorry for that and I don't mind if anyone corrects me. Regarding what you said about theming at a water park I do completely agree. However as AW originally was just of the shelf rides and limited theming instead was about it landscaping and lawn areas for family to have picnics. But now with the theming it has made the park a much much better environment and atmosphere. But I completely agree with what you have said.

6 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

B&M of some sort. Lap restraint. A cross between Swarm and Oblivion.

Looking at the cost of those and similar coasters the prices vary between 16-24 million depending on the length and height of different models.

My point is that over the next five years i could definitely see AW getting a new high thrill rollercoaster, and a coaster around that price range is highly achievable for AW,  seeing that Abyss cost 13-14 million and since that was installed attendance has increased.  But hey this is just my assumption, but knowing @Mark Shaw love for B&M coasters i could definitely see one being installed in the future.

2 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

@AlexB Regarding me proof reading my post i make sure I proof read my post multiple times before I post. However I have dyslexia and can't recognise these mistakes. So if I make some I am sorry for that and I don't mind if anyone corrects me. Regarding what you said about theming at a water park I do completely agree. However as AW originally was just of the shelf rides and limited theming instead was about it landscaping and lawn areas for family to have picnics. But now with the theming it has made the park a much much better environment and atmosphere. But I completely agree with what you have said.

No problems Tim - I apologise - I wasn't aware of it. It makes a lot more sense now with your posts and as I recognise now its out of your control, i'm sure I can spend a minute or two more to to translate your posts without much bother. Cheers for letting me know.

2 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

Looking at the cost of those and similar coasters the prices vary between 16-24 million depending on the length and height of different models.

My point is that over the next five years i could definitely see AW getting a new high thrill rollercoaster, and a coaster around that price range is highly achievable for AW,  seeing that Abyss cost 13-14 million and since that was installed attendance has increased.  But hey this is just my assumption, but knowing @Mark Shaw love for B&M coasters i could definitely see one being installed in the future.

@Ryande16 You also need to consider conversion rates and different currencies. As Swarm and Oblivion are both constructed and quoted in the UK, i've used GBP as the base pricing. I've used historical rates and inflation calculators to work out the prices for all at the time of construction, and what they work out to be in today's dollars (based on a UK inflation calculator).

Abyss was US$12M in 2013 (GBP7.4M). In today's dollars, it would be around US9.7M (GBP 7.49M)

Swarm was US$28M in 2012 (GBP18M). In today's dollars, it would be around US$25M (GBP19.8M)

Oblivion was US$20M in 1998 (GBP12M). In today's dollars it would be around US$25.5M (GBP19.68M)

Bottom line is that whilst the actual price tags make them seem to be within reach of each other, the fact of the matter is that both rides are more than DOUBLE the 'current' pricetag of Abyss.

TBH whilst we've seen AW make some real leaps and bounds - and Abyss was certainly pulled off well (for the budget) - I honestly don't think we'll see AW as the first Australian park to put in a B&M - much as i'm sure @Mark Shaw wants it to be. The other parks are much better placed to be able to afford one, and to be able to support the kind of attendance needed for a single investment to pay itself off. 

48 minutes ago, AlexB said:

No problems Tim - I apologise - I wasn't aware of it. It makes a lot more sense now with your posts and as I recognise now its out of your control, i'm sure I can spend a minute or two more to to translate your posts without much bother. Cheers for letting me know.

@Ryande16 You also need to consider conversion rates and different currencies. As Swarm and Oblivion are both constructed and quoted in the UK, i've used GBP as the base pricing. I've used historical rates and inflation calculators to work out the prices for all at the time of construction, and what they work out to be in today's dollars (based on a UK inflation calculator).

Abyss was US$12M in 2013 (GBP7.4M). In today's dollars, it would be around US9.7M (GBP 7.49M)

Swarm was US$28M in 2012 (GBP18M). In today's dollars, it would be around US$25M (GBP19.8M)

Oblivion was US$20M in 1998 (GBP12M). In today's dollars it would be around US$25.5M (GBP19.68M)

Bottom line is that whilst the actual price tags make them seem to be within reach of each other, the fact of the matter is that both rides are more than DOUBLE the 'current' pricetag of Abyss.

TBH whilst we've seen AW make some real leaps and bounds - and Abyss was certainly pulled off well (for the budget) - I honestly don't think we'll see AW as the first Australian park to put in a B&M - much as i'm sure @Mark Shaw wants it to be. The other parks are much better placed to be able to afford one, and to be able to support the kind of attendance needed for a single investment to pay itself off. 

Sorry for my inaccuracie i just had a guess of what it might come close too. However x flight at six flags was built in 2012 for 12-15 million us which is about 15-20 million aus dollars and it looks like a very solid wing coaster 

Height: 37 m

Length : 910 m

Speed : 90kmh

Inversions : 5

And  sure if you modify the length down to like 800 metres it could cut the cost down a couple million. Haha i know im getting technical here, but i have faith in AW and know they will keep growing and adding bomb ass rides period!!!

Do try to think about things a little more mate.

You have a 910m coaster track, and you think cutting 12% of the track out will take 'a couple million' off the cost of a 15-20 million dollar ride? It doesn't work that way.

If you work on a straight percentage, yeah you might get 2.4 million off - but the track \ steel work is the cheap part.

Take 110 metres off a coaster that is already designed and you have to spend money on reengineering and redesigning to ensure the new track is still within the limits required. You're saving on some steel, but at a cost of R&D potentially outweighing that saving.

Plus (and I should have mentioned this last night) - constructing these things in Australia costs a shitload more. Firstly because of shipping, and secondly because of our labour laws and our WH&S laws.

As @Mark Shaw has said the quoted cost of a ride may be the cost to purchase the ride, or it may be the cost of ride plus construction and theming costs. These figures are quoted indiscriminately by some in the industry depending on who is making the statement, so you also want to make sure the prices quoted are in the same vein.

16 hours ago, AlexB said:

Exactly. Unless there is an explosion of population and tourism, its not viable. Sadly. :(

• Gazza changed the title to Adventure World 2017- 'MI3' Ride