Goliath - Adventure World’s new Intamin Gyro Swing

Tim Dasco

AW posted this on their Instagram. "As the early morning fog clears...the giant has awakened". I wonder if the queue is going to have no shade/roof. Looks to me as if the whole ride is elevated above the ground level but probably just because the grass isn't completely flat in that area.

IMG_2751.JPG

Edited by ABYSS
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

@ABYSS I can promise you that there will be a shade or roof put above the queue line. They would get an insane amount of complaints if there was no shade. Same reason why air con is now in the Abyss queue line.

I was going to say it just wouldn't be a proper functional queue line area without it. Does look nice without it though as I like the rustic structure. I think this picture represents how nicely the ride itself comes together but not how it ties in with surrounding rides such as Abyss & Rampage. Does anyone else get bothered by the sign how around the edges it's like silver instead of the wooden theming? Do you think that's just not finished yet aswell or something?

8 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

@ABYSS I can promise you that there will be a shade or roof put above the queue line. They would get an insane amount of complaints if there was no shade. Same reason why air con is now in the Abyss queue line.

35 degrees. Feet being cooked like bacon. 100 sweaty guests in a shed. No need for a/c

8 minutes ago, themagician said:

I think something similar to how they did the roof over for the queue for DD at MW would be good and would fit well with the ascetic of the ride.

I think that would work well but I have s feeling it will be something more along the lines of garden roof top with small square gaps. This photo was the fastest and most convenient photo I could find from the internet. (Ignore the bottom half)

IMG_2811.JPG

Edited by ABYSS

I thought they were $160 or something. Also just noticed that the platinum pass renewal is currently $30 cheaper than the advertised price. Interesting, but not a lot of other benefits. Who wants another special cap? Also noted that they said free entry to the special event nights, giving Fright Nights as an example.

5 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

@Slick that price is good for AW the GC parks should be (mainly VRTP due to Rivals) be charging more than that. FYI that price above is AWS sale price. This is the reason AW keeps building rides as they actualy charge realistic prices.

Oh come on Tim, seriously. Look - I really want to be objective here, and I acknowledge everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but you are the biggest defender of AW, whether it is deserved or not - sometimes you gotta let it go and acknowledge that AW isn't the perfect park you sometimes make it out to be.

Now I certainly agree with you that the GC parks should be charging more, but to argue that 'this is why AW keeps building rides' - i call bullshit. Its simply the current investment strategy.

Firstly a few facts:

• Adventure World's capacity is 5,500 guests (Source).
  • AW (2017 season) is open for 181 days (AW Website)
  • Dreamworld's Annual attendance in 2016FY was 2,413,937 (ASX release)*
  • DW is open for 364 days

Even if AW hit park capacity on every operating day (and we all know how unrealistic that is), they'd see a maximum of 995,500 guests through the gate.

If we work out Dreamworld's figures on an even spread, they still get 6631.69 people through the gate every day.

Now, working on Dreamworld's average $99 annual passes (which vary throughout the year), and Adventure world's 'earlybird' adult pass at $150 (which we also know varies throughout the season), and taking Goliath's $7.5 million dollar pricetag - what percentage of their annual attendance is spent on the new ride?

AW: 5.02% based off the theoretical maximum park capacity
($7.5M / $150 / 995,500 * 100)

DW: 3.13% based off the actual 2016 attendance figures.
($7.5M / $99 / 2,413,937 * 100

So even at the current pass pricing, Dreamworld could more easily afford the same ride AW just built. (This of course doesn't allow for the fact that Ardent won't build shit right now)

Remember - the AW figure is a highly unrealistic attendance base, and is the lowest possible percentage, although highly improbable. Sure there's a lot of other things to consider - like operating costs, and so on, but just based on raw pass pricing and attraction cost, You're looking at something like Goliath being TWICE the hit to the bottom line at AW as it would be at DW.

I do understand there's a lot more economics at play here - i'm not trying to suggest that it IS this simple, just giving a simplistic example to put things into perspective. I've used DW because I could find their attendance figures. I couldn't find VRTP's figures and it seems like they don't publish attendance in their annual reports anymore.

*figure includes Skypoint

@AlexB my point was more about that DW and VRTP theme parks are short charging themselves with passes and that leaves them with less extra money that they could spend on a new attraction or even for Ardent's case funding their American operating. I said that AW (a smaller theme park) $150 is reasonable for a season pass and for a park open all year round with quality rides like a VRTP pass should be over $200 a year I believe.

2 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

@AlexB my point was more about that DW and VRTP theme parks are short charging themselves with passes and that leaves them with less extra money that they could spend on a new attraction or even for Ardent's case funding their American operating. I said that AW (a smaller theme park) $150 is reasonable for a season pass and for a park open all year round with quality rides like a VRTP pass should be over $200 a year I believe.

Sure Tim - I wholeheartedly agree with you on that point.

3 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

This is the reason AW keeps building rides as they actualy charge realistic prices.

This was the focus of my reply, however, and I simply cannot agree with it.

51 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Sure Tim - I wholeheartedly agree with you on that point.

This was the focus of my reply, however, and I simply cannot agree with it.

Fair enough. What my point was and this is my opinion with AW charging $150 for a season pass for a seasonal park (which has less rides and most likely lower operatinonal costs than VRTP or Ardent. Out of that $150 there is more extra cash for the parks owner and for future spending. Compare that to a cheaper pass that lasts a year for $100 (just an example) they will have less of a profit margin which means they have less that they can spend on rides. I know both GC parks get a much higher attendants than AW. But if passes to the GC parks where around $150-$200 think what attractions they could be building. Yes VRTP are spending big on attractions and I know that the passes are cheap due to competition. But that was the point I was trying to make. I just worded it wrong.