Goliath - Adventure World’s new Intamin Gyro Swing

Tim Dasco

@ABYSS because of Goliath they have a viewing area in the middle with benches. Great views of Goliath, Rampage and Abyss from there. So the old Below Zero store is now in that area and the Abyss arch is behind the store now. So they changed he name to suit Goliath. Along with a new menu.

IMG_3909.thumb.JPG.9945d9158a148ae9be5a0e3ee7e6f25b.JPG

IMG_3910.thumb.JPG.43687bc1bc48b4554e1dc6be5c67a466.JPG

IMG_3911.thumb.JPG.75b66e39e0ad4f8e99855df6123735ba.JPG

IMG_3913.thumb.JPG.babf4d804c8814c75f8f3700dec13fae.JPG

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, grrofunger said:

Did it make you feel sick @iwerks?

Yeah,  a bit. It felt like the ride went on for about 2 minutes. I was fine starting off (it's probably less sick making than Bounty) but after you start to spin a bit, you get some then. I took a travacalm beforehand and was okay. The ride certainly makes you feel like you have run a marathon, even if it's smooth. 

• Like 2

Ok well here goes, (long review warning)

With the horrible weather Perth is having and the Show being on, the park was very quiet. So I managed to do everything with basically no waits. Abyss was walk on, Kraken looked empty as most other slides, The Go Kart's would have had a 10 minute wait and Goliath was only a wait for the cycle to finish. Goliath was defiantly the most popular ride today with everyone either watching it or ridding it. (you get pretty great views of Goliath and the park from inferno. (which is working :) ) Staff were very efficient at running the rides today with 2 trains running on Abyss (despite being walk on) and the staff are like always very friendly and making jokes.

Goliath is an amazing flat ride! The Intamin Gyro Swing is my new favourite flat ride. (currently) It's good to have another dry ride because on a day like today it was to cold to do any water slides. Yet I spent most of the day there doing the dry ride product. To me its very re ridable (hence doing it 12 times) but if you get motion sickness like my good friend (@iwerks) its not very re ridable. I found Black Widow unbalanced (one person on the gondola) an unpleasant experience and made me feel sick. Just kept spinning over and over again. But with Goliath just the amount of airtime and high G force is incredible. Its a very intense and AWesome ride and the lap bars just add so much freedom. Goliath is like Abyss and AW's other rides with loads of shelves in each corner of the ride to store you loss items, shoes or bags.Go Pro's are allowed on the ride if in a chest mount.

However it is a great addition to the park. Personally from the beginning I hated the location of the ride. But it really suits that spot nicely and is in the Bermuda Triangle of thrills. Having Black Widow, Rampage and Abyss surrounding this new ride. Which is why I am glad they put a nice area in with benches in the middle so you can sit and watch all these rides running at the same time.

You can also tell how they learnt from the mistakes with Abyss and Kraken and tried to avoid making the same mistakes again. Instead of using the red hot flooring they have put nice anti slip poured limestone floors, fans in the queue race along with drinking fountains in the queue. Which will be great in a 40 degree summers day with an hour wait. (They have also added A/C to abyss queue also) 

The theming on this ride is just amazing! There are so many little details which just shows the extra thought that went into the ride design. Like the writing on the queue line roof to scratch marks on Rampage. (which got repainted in the off-season)

21942468_738062899722360_856481811_n.thumb.jpg.4fd36fb1a6cfee795eaa4e8ff330e3f3.jpg

I honestly have no idea what the sign says.

21984052_738063093055674_2070197032_n.thumb.jpg.362d321bc3d74cc22b059c3007d8cdfb.jpg

The table area to view the Giant.

21984379_738063079722342_20758083_n.thumb.jpg.c11cb5d9233ff2abcdf4c4c314dd2fe2.jpg

@ABYSS to answer and earlier question that building has the mechanics to Goliath along with Power supply.

21942117_738063126389004_627890878_n.thumb.jpg.1a41b8860f1e5b3ad7f56402fd35bd41.jpg

21919536_738063083055675_969575090_n.thumb.jpg.85d0e48a443715c1cdfd64d6c828441e.jpg

21942190_738063096389007_662901620_n.thumb.jpg.80e7f1a51c94d7cf2e4bfd0d459320b3.jpg

Goliath's safety sign/cloth.

21942086_738063119722338_112047312_n.thumb.jpg.99d4f9fcb214c449468144dd605f6f5e.jpg

21919290_738063133055670_696129571_n.thumb.jpg.4ae08d6ce252f5a3b70e0d67b4918206.jpg

21919555_738063159722334_1552062696_n.thumb.jpg.cde7945b9da7adb7f8b51c36b30490b3.jpg

Have no idea what these say either. But the fans will be great in the heat of summer.

21935222_738063166389000_802834101_n.thumb.jpg.872848b047fcc32ece25faf12868a738.jpg

and the claw marks on Rampage.

21931558_738063193055664_2094096663_o.thumb.jpg.5428bc4da97ec0430362b905fa4e11fe.jpg

Overall its an amazing ride and does blend in very well at Adventure World and I look forward to seeing what MI-4 (hopefully still going ahead in 2019) and how well Goliath does in summer. 

Edited by Tim Dasco
  • Like 4

Themeing and landscaping does look impressive. I hope work continues plussing the older areas of the Park to balance the overall look.

The ride looks fun and the restraint system is really the current staple of any decent thrill ride. May I ask how tight the restraint system is? The Claw is probably the most prohibitive ride on the GC for Adult riders outside average size.. not just overweight people either.. big thighs, broad shoulders, big back or just being tall make riding Claw prohibitive for many. 

• Like 1

@MickeyD I saw a range of people from large to small little kids on it. I myself am around 180cm tall and found it comfortable. As the Lap bar is the only thing holding you down nothing touches your shoulder. And the lap bar is not crunching your thighs more sitting on top of them. I do hope they fix up the animal area as the next priority. That's the main area that hasn't received TLC in the recent years.

• Like 1

Park is closed again today due to bad weather. On AW’s Instagram post about it there is a comment saying some people went down to the gates yesterday and the people said it would be closed until Wednesday. Not sure if that is reliable though. Could I ask if anyone could tell me what this years’ season pass cards look like?

1 minute ago, Tim Dasco said:

@ABYSS I only ordered my season pass last week so I haven't received it yet. Also it's not looking like a great start to the season for AW hopefully attendants improves as we head into summer. Being closed for the long weekend in the holidays due to bad weather is not a good start.

I agree and same I was asking because I also ordered last week. Not long till I guess we find out though. 

• Like 1

I ordered my platinum pass two weeks ago and still haven't received it yet.  I used a combination of my receipt (which has no bar code) and last year's pass to gain entry - it was no problem.  The platinum pass is a cool graphite colour and is different from the regular pass (which is usually based on a ride in the park). I told Andrew Sharry about my lack of new card and he asked if it was a problem and I said it wasn't.  Andrew and Ross Ogilvie were very cool and actually introduced themselves to me whilst I was taking photos of Goliath.  We had a good chat about a variety of things.  Apparently, Ross also suffers from motion sickness. He was the one responsible for the theming around the new ride.

According to their Facebook page, AW will probably be open tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2017 at 8:45 AM, MickeyD said:

Themeing and landscaping does look impressive. I hope work continues plussing the older areas of the Park to balance the overall look.

The ride looks fun and the restraint system is really the current staple of any decent thrill ride. May I ask how tight the restraint system is? The Claw is probably the most prohibitive ride on the GC for Adult riders outside average size.. not just overweight people either.. big thighs, broad shoulders, big back or just being tall make riding Claw prohibitive for many. 

Speaking of this. Probably will never happen, but what are the chances of DreamWorld replacing the restraints of the Claw and updating them to the new Intamin restraints?

21 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Speaking of this. Probably will never happen, but what are the chances of DreamWorld replacing the restraints of the Claw and updating them to the new Intamin restraints?

About as much as them doing it with the drop. I love the restraints on Drop of Doom at SFMM but can't see them spending the money replacing them on either ride now.

Hello everybody! Today I headed down to Adventure World and I’m deciding to do a little more so summary of my day rather than a review. (I’ll be doing my summary split into rides and my experience with them today). (DON’T READ IF YOU WANT PHOTOS, THERE ARE NONE)

Started the day off, entering through the front gates at 10am. Went to go rent a locker, put all my shit in it and started to get ready for an AWesome day. Headed to the Abyss first, me and my mate went back seat in order to warm up as we didn’t want to hurt our necks on front seat. (All rides that I didn’t go on were due to my mate not wanting to, those being Rampage, Freefall and some water slides. 

Abyss. Wow. After a year and a half of not riding Abyss let  alone coming to the part, I can unfortunately say that my baby has ages, and certainly not for the better. This might be due to just pure expectation of it being smoother and since I ridden more smoother rides now. Nonetheless enjoyed riding it so much today. In total being at AW from 10-5, I managed to have about 30 rides today on Abyss. Did I mention the queues? No? Oh probably because there were none. Every single ride today was a walk-on besides the Grand Prix. I’m guessing I had around 25 or so rides in backseats and the rest in the front. Front was very, very turbulent like always but I’m not stupid and understand how to brace myself. Same workers were on shift all day and we’re very interactive and seems to be very sarcastic (in a good way). Unfortunately there was only one train operating today throughout all day, but it didn’t really matter considering queues were not considered a thing today. The workers continued to say to me and my mate, “Not you two again!” and at the end of rides “Is everyone still alive?” and the ride op would answer “Good!” to anyone who replied with “Yes”. Once the riders have gotten off of the train she continued to scream “Don’t come back!”. I continued to joke around with her all day. 

Kraken. Couldn’t be fucked running up the hill today so only went on three time. Operators were efficient and rides were always a walk-on. Was much fun but was very cold for us all today!

Water mountain (I think that’s what it’s called I forgot). All these slides were walk on the fastest I’ve ever seen them operate. First time seeing all the new theming and I love it and think it looks great. I like the water effects on Rocky Ralis and like how it adds to the ride being such a small thing. 

Goliath. What you’ve been waiting for correct? Wow. Amazing. Gorgeous. Airtime. Vomit. Now, very funny ride. Made me laugh pretty much every time I went in, not only because once there was a five year old next to me swearing and saying every “naughty word” he could think of. Now theming. Looks great just as the photos of course. When I walked into the park and saw it swinging I was like holy fuck it actually looks like it swings pretty high. Much like how I reacted when I saw Abyss for the first time in person. Wait times were essentially just waiting for the current swing to finish as @Tim Dasco mentioned the other day. The ride starts off, the story themed voice comes on “Brace yourselves for the battle ahead and answer the call of the drums!” the floor lower and you swing forward or backward (depending on where you sit). Intensely speeds up quickly. Holy shit, this is so much closer to a Zamperla Discovery Revolution I thought. I was surprised with how much force was being layed onto my body. Speed, height and feeling as though I’m going to flip once reaching the top. LAP BARS, HONNNNEYYYYYY. I’m in love. Lap bars really do enhance the ride experiences. I’ve never felt so much like I’m going to fall out. You would think you would feel confident putting your hands in the air the whole time after riding once or twice. No. Not for me atleast. I think it’s going to take me a little longer, I’m sure next time I go I will feel confident, but I just like the insecurity that it implies. The hangtime is beatifull. However, I do feel a little wonky about this ride. Every time I went on it until about ride seven, my stomach always felt weird, but not in a good way and it wasn’t like butterflies. I almost felt weak in the stomach like I was going to vomit later. However I’m pretty sure that it was just that I wasn’t used to the thrill as I hadn’t really been on any rides for about a year and a half. HAHA moment of the day was when a male teenager through up in the garden after riding on the same ride Asmara me. I looked at them vimit after it happened a ride later (I’m so weird) and it wasn all pink and was a whole bunch of pink coated lollies. The ride operator said let it all go buddy no shame don’t hold back. I definitely think the ride operators for Goliath today could have been a lot faster. They dragged on and I understand that they were trying to be funny and entertain the kids, but let’s be real here, all of us just wanted to get on. Other than that the staff around the whole park were very enthusiastic and kind throughout the whole time. Kudos to the team. Goliath is a great addition and I’m sure everyone will enjoy it who don’t suffer from motion sickness. I just warn you that it may attack your stomach a little at first. 

Overall I had an AWesome day and am really happy that I can say that I love AW’s new addition for the season. Sorry for making this summary so long, I guess it really isn’t a summary lol. Whoops. Anyway if  you did read this all good job, I don’t know if I would. :)

P.S. If there are spelling mistakes or anything don’t complain I can’t be bothered fixing it all. I’ll tired lol.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, ABYSS said:

Abyss. Wow. After a year and a half of not riding Abyss let  alone coming to the part, I can unfortunately say that my baby has ages, and certainly not for the better. This might be due to just pure expectation of it being smoother and since I ridden more smoother rides now. Nonetheless enjoyed riding it so much today. In total being at AW from 10-5, I managed to have about 30 rides today on Abyss. 

I'm confused. So what you are saying is that the ride is showing it's age and quite rough to ride (particularly the front row. FOR SHAME AW btw) -despite this,  you still rode 30 times in a single day? Are you a glutten for punishment? Lol.

That butterfly/nausea feeling you get from Goliath seems pretty symptomatic of outside facing Pendulum rides and other spin-spews like Air Races (Pandemonium). They are not really designed to ride in multiple succession - Most ppl won't, because their bodies tell them to stop by making them feel sick, often after just 1 go!

Side note. Is that Chair lift still operating? I'm surprised their Legal/Risk guys haven't shut it down by now as it's an accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1

The chairlift is still operating, although on really slow mode. As I was sitting watching Goliath I heard a voice call out from above. A guy had been stuck up there for about 10 minutes. He was the only one on the ride at the time. I had a chat to him there, then we bumped into him a couple of times later on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iwerks said:

The chairlift is still operating, although on really slow mode. As I was sitting watching Goliath I heard a voice call out from above. A guy had been stuck up there for about 10 minutes. He was the only one on the ride at the time. I had a chat to him there, then we bumped into him a couple of times later on.

Yesterday it was working for like an hour than the rest of the day it wasnt. I think it wasn mainly because hardly anyone was using it due to being hardly anyone in the park. 

I would also like to do add that you can’t buy return passes this early in the season yet to anyone wondering. Also, yesterday at around 4:50, I went to go line up for Goliath as my last ride, the ride before me just sat stationary and the operators spoke on the microphones through the control booth saying that there were maintenance difficulties. They than came out to the line and told us that maintenance had to check it out and it wouldn’t be open in time before the park close. 

2 hours ago, MickeyD said:

despite this,  you still rode 30 times in a single day? Are you a glutten for punishment? Lol.

That’s why I ride the majority of times in the back row.

*AW is closed today due to thunderstorms.

Edited by ABYSS