Goliath - Adventure World’s new Intamin Gyro Swing

Tim Dasco

9 minutes ago, grrofunger said:

I didn't mean ever, I just don't see the yearly large capex injection continuing and i wouldn't be surprised at all to see no new large ride next season.

I agree it won’t be next year.  Possibly in 2 years but maybe even in 3 years.  It all depends on how many paying customers come through the gate.  Something will eventually be added or the park numbers will steadily decline.  Lots of factors may play a part in this.  Direct flights from London, WA mining picking up, the Chinese economy.  I could go on.  If AW are reading this thread, perhaps they’d like to comment.

29 minutes ago, grrofunger said:

I didn't mean ever, I just don't see the yearly large capex injection continuing and i wouldn't be surprised at all to see no new large ride next season.

There will 100% be no new ride next season. The way they have operated is a new ride every 2 years for a long long time. Dating back to 2000. However we will have to wait and see if we get MI4 in 2019 and MI5 in 2021.

• Like 1

At the park now. Came down just for the last couple of hours. 

Goliath area does look impressive. 

Watched two cycles. Loading times very slow however the vomit everywhere probably played a part in that. 

Both cycles it rained vomit down onto the path below and on the second one I watched a vomit covered guy vomit everywhere once the ride had stopped and he was waiting to get off. 

That was enough for me to know I will never go on this one. 

• Like 1

On 13/10/2017 at 8:49 PM, Adam C said:

November is school term time so on average it’s a lot quieter.  If you come on a weekday, 1 day will be enough. If it’s a weekend, buy one day as they will offer you a return ticket for a reduced price. Last year, local Woolies stores had 2 for 1 ticket offers on their till receipts which expired on Christmas Eve.  I’ll keep an eye out and post it if it happens again.  And one final note, AW is only open 5 days a week.  Closed on Tue, Wed.

On 13/10/2017 at 10:22 PM, ABYSS said:

Also if you do plan on buying a return ticket in park I don’t think they are selling them yet as I went two weeks ago with a mate without a season pass who asked to buy a return ticket and they said that they don’t sell them this early in the season. However this could have changed by now.

Thanks for the tips!!! I’m looking at flying from Brisbane on a Tuesday or Wednesday and then visiting the park Thursday, Friday or Saturday. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2017 at 7:05 PM, Aimsley81 said:

Thanks for the tips!!! I’m looking at flying from Brisbane on a Tuesday or Wednesday and then visiting the park Thursday, Friday or Saturday. 

I was at AW today.  The wristband was offering a return ticket for $29.95c.  That said, it was a Friday and 30c but the park was relatively quiet.  So if you go on a weekday, you’ll probably only need 1 day.

1 hour ago, grrofunger said:

Cabanas are now $250 on a weekend?

Oh its ok here have $125 as a food tab.........I don't want all that food!

Bit ridiculous.

Well I suppose the customer is always right.  Personally, I don’t think any average person would pay $250 for a cabana.  Maybe people who can claim the money back on tax or who aren’t paying for it with their own money.  I suppose,we’ll find out how successful it is if the fee remains or goes back to the previous $120.

On 10/14/2017 at 12:33 AM, Tim Dasco said:

There will 100% be no new ride next season. The way they have operated is a new ride every 2 years for a long long time. Dating back to 2000. However we will have to wait and see if we get MI4 in 2019 and MI5 in 2021.

Not really, Adventure World added a new ride every year some time ago. Freefall in 2009, Kids water area overhaul in 2010, Kahuna Falls in 2011, Dragon's Kingdom in 2012, Abyss in 2013.

Given Mark has stopped working for Adventure World, I think the addition of "maximum impact attractions every 2 years" has run its course. I don't recall Mark saying that they had MI4, MI5 and so forth in the pipeline. If Mark has quit because Adventure World don't need an expert consultant for expansion anymore, it's a telltale sign that they want to slow down expansion. However, this cannot take away from what we have got over the last 6 years. Abyss, Kahuna Falls, Dragon's Kingdom, Kraken, an overhaul of all the attractions, and now Goliath are the additions that were purchased when Mark was CEO. Heavy investment was required to put in all of these attractions.

We've had a great run, but I personally believe Adventure World is taking a break and slowing down expansion now, for at least a few years, before they see a need to reinvest again. 

What we will see in the following years will be smaller attractions, maybe a used ride or two a la Freefall, and some minor improvements, but nothing on the "maximum impact" scale.