Doomsday Destroyer - reviews and feedback

Theme Park Girl

The point @Bush Beast Forever was making is that the R&D costs associated with launching a new ride style would likely not be realised until a certain number of installations were made. The break-even point for Arrow Dynamics' Mad Mouse coaster was apparently ten installations; they only made four.

In all likelihood Vekoma never broke even on the Waikiki Wave ride. Not sure this says anything about the quality of the ride so much as Vekoma's failings in trying to enter the flat ride market, and Huss's strengths particularly in the European travelling ride market. Certainly the reputation Huss has doesn't exactly speak much for them being a victor in any sense.

15 hours ago, Richard said:

The point @Bush Beast Forever was making is that the R&D costs associated with launching a new ride style would likely not be realised until a certain number of installations were made. The break-even point for Arrow Dynamics' Mad Mouse coaster was apparently ten installations; they only made four.

In all likelihood Vekoma never broke even on the Waikiki Wave ride. Not sure this says anything about the quality of the ride so much as Vekoma's failings in trying to enter the flat ride market, and Huss's strengths particularly in the European travelling ride market. Certainly the reputation Huss has doesn't exactly speak much for them being a victor in any sense.

This is exactly what I meant Richard.

Ride manufacturers need to sell a certain number of a new model to.make back the R&D they spend to develop a new ride. Launch customers do not pay for the full cost of a new ride. In fact they usually get a hefty discount to account for the fact they are taking a risk with an untested model.

Re Huss, I would say the fact they are still around and not broke is victory enough...

28 minutes ago, webslave said:

So now I'm curious - where does Huss's negative reputation come from?  Are there any particular examples?

A Rainbow ride at Liseberg theme park in Sweden collapsed in 2008, injuring 30 people - search up Liseberg ride collapse and you'll hear all about it.

5 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Look at Inferno at AW. It has been out of action more than it has been operating. It took AW ages to chase up and get parts which were delivered and didn't work.

DD may well be waiting for a large part to be shipped here, like Inferno did.

However, Inferno is back and is so much fun to ride. The mix of shots and drops is what makes the ride so great. Its capacity is so good, that there's hardly a wait.  Its location means that you get an excellent view of Perth. It has been considered a bit of a lemon by some, but when it's operating, it's a big enough thrill for most and not as challenging as GD.

@westical that is a valid question, but I think it was @Levithian who suggested it could be waiting on parts, or it could be parts already received that are now being tested \ not living up to required standards.

This would explain regular testing, as i'm sure they would be keen to get it online as soon as possible. Better to throw out a date well into the future, and then open early, than to keep pushing the date back every few weeks #ohwait...

Yeah, because we kept seeing the ride actually run at various times, that made more sense to me than there being a major problem with a big/major component/part which a few other people were wondering. Seemed a lot more like a trial and error sort of deal, than having the whole ride grounded indefinately  

• 3 weeks later...