Doomsday Destroyer - reviews and feedback

Theme Park Girl

19 minutes ago, joz said:

I'm still trying to figure out my cynical take on this whole wristband thing.  

It's $15 to basically play themed games on an Xbox connect.  On the other hand though there are a bunch of cool practical effects with many of the games.  It's not like Universal where the wands are vital to the effect of casting a spell and it complements the theme perfectly, this is literally just 'swipe your souvenir wristband to play'.  It's an arcade game. But it's unlimited, play as much as you like.  The wristbands aren't themed, but they have characters on them, and if you did theme it what would you do make it look like?  A police monitoring tag? Print outs of the characters obviously makes much more sense as a souvenir.  

The purest in me is kind of thinking screw this 'we'll only theme if we can put a dollar figure on how much the themeing will generate' mentality.  Next step of course is swipe your wristband before you go on Scooby to make all the effects work.  That's me at my absolute cynical best/worst.  

On the other hand, why not do it? It's an arcade really, and it's a known thing that I'm all for having those in parks.  But not only is it an arcade, but it's a themed arcade with unique games with practical effects that once you pay you can play as much as you like and you get a little souviner thrown in.

Overall, I guess I like it, but not going to lie it was a close run thing.

You're missing one critical point. It's been pointed out you can annoy other people or wet tourists with it. 

What's not to love? 

^well.. it is good to be bad!

5 hours ago, joz said:

The wristbands aren't themed, but they have characters on them, and if you did theme it what would you do make it look like?  A police monitoring tag? Print outs of the characters obviously makes much more sense as a souvenir. 

Well, the one thought I had was a Justice League communicator type thing:

latest?cb=20090410000641

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

^well.. it is good to be bad!

Well, the one thought I had was a Justice League communicator type thing:

latest?cb=20090410000641

Except the JLA are the good guys.

why would you scan your JLA badge to enable you to assist in destroying the city? Seems counter productive to your job to protect it??

5 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Except the JLA are the good guys.

why would you scan your JLA badge to enable you to assist in destroying the city? Seems counter productive to your job to protect it??

Because villains will do anything to win...  Disguise it as something to help the heroes to stop them when really you are doing the evil work for them...  Heroes have to win all the time...  Villains only have to win once...

16 hours ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

If anyone else is there come say hi...  I'll be in the bright Hawaiian shirt most likely near Captain Cold ?

I saw you, I was at Captain Cold and I finished the puzzle and you was standing at the truck, you thanked me for spraying you, my pleasure by the way ?

1 hour ago, Theme Park Ninja said:

I saw you, I was at Captain Cold and I finished the puzzle and you was standing at the truck, you thanked me for spraying you, my pleasure by the way ?

Thanks again for that...  The only problem with doing it for the kids on a hot day like today is you miss out yourself :P

I'm taking a wild guess and saying fire effects hence "turning up the heat" and I don't mean on the ride itself (like the smoke effects as that might be a bit of a hazard to have fire there) but somewhere around the ride that would allow their safe usage whilst being close enough to the riders to add an extra dimension to the ride.

Also, I don't know if pyrotechnics are used at Fright Nights but the QLD Government's list of upcoming pyrotechnic displays mentions displays in Oxenford on each night of Fright Nights. If pyrotechnics are rarely used at Fright Nights, maybe this could be referring to possible fire effects?

15 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Opening of the harness is the new way of increasing operations times.  I was told by an employee that the area under the ride is where they will store the bodies.  

Shouldn't that be decreasing operations times?

3 hours ago, themagician said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=33dbdb8b5f3d6bf3Noticed this extra detail had been installed on the queue roof:

IMG_4641.JPG

1 hour ago, Santa07 said:

Anyone want to take a shot at what they mean by "watch out for that second revolution"? Increased speed? Or perhaps it'll hold you upside down for a moment?

34 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

I'm taking a wild guess and saying fire effects hence "turning up the heat" *snip*

Anyone else think these three things might be related?

I thought that originally but after looking back at previous photos, the high voltage box has been there a while (with it's theming completed for the launch party) & I don't think fire would shoot out that hole in the high voltage box if there is a railing in the way (unless it is removed for the nights or the camera angle gives the impression the railing is in the way). Also, given there are 2 separate rotating arms on DD, I assume whatever happens on the 2nd revolution would happen on both sides of the ride (unless it features at the top/bottom of the ride). You never know - it might be related in the end.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

2 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Anyone want to take a shot at what they mean by "watch out for that second revolution"? Increased speed? Or perhaps it'll hold you upside down for a moment?

During testing, Doomsday Destroyer ran a 3 revolutions forwards and backwards cycle. Lucky for us, @Theme Park Girl took a video of this! During the 2nd revolution is when the ride amps up the rpm. So maybe more noticeable/stronger g-forces during that revolution??

Edited by Luke

2 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Opening of the harness is the new way of increasing operations times.  I was told by an employee that the area under the ride is where they will store the bodies.  

So the construction thread comments about the floor not dropping (from abundance of bodies) may still be correct?

3 hours ago, Luke said:

During testing, Doomsday Destroyer ran a 3 revolutions forwards and backwards cycle. Lucky for us, @Theme Park Girl took a video of this! During the 2nd revolution is when the ride amps up the rpm. So maybe more noticeable/stronger g-forces during that revolution??

That would seem more likely than fire effects though to the general public, it wouldn't seem much different to normal operations? The RPM is at it's highest in the 2nd revolution because that would be when the ride 'peaks'. When there is 2 revolutions, being an even number, there is no 'peak'.

• Richard changed the title to Doomsday Destroyer - reviews and feedback