Doomsday Destroyer - reviews and feedback

Theme Park Girl

I'm about 6 foot flat, and had my first (and second - walkon) rides on Doomsday today. 

Whilst I didn't notice any varied height limits, my first ride was on the red row west, and I did have to do a little contortion to get under the harness and into the seat.

I've also found it to be incredibly difficult to undo one side of the two-button seatbelt at the end of the ride. Anyone else noticed this?

I didn't find the ride to be shaky. It was quite an enjoyable ride and I reckon I could re-ride it for quite some time. The harness is comfortable, yet secure. 

I did find the internal seats to be a little close together in terms of leg space with the person opposite, but the motion of the ride takes care of that most of the time. 

End seats (brown at least) were far more enjoyable than the middle rows.

I'd love to see a longer, or a more intense, or faster (speed, not time) cycle, but i'm happy with it as a mid-level thrill. I think the biggest problem is that the ride appearance is intimidating to some, and probably puts a number of people off riding it.The missus is usually up for trying anything once, and whilst she hates centrifuges (won't ever do a gravitron or enterprise style attraction) or a marble coaster, she usually will try anything once - except this. except today. 

She's decided she might give it a go next time though - so there's that.

Overall the area is fantastic, although i'd like to see more prominent information about the interactive elements, as a lot of people were wandering around, bashing the hammer and posing for photos, but I didn't see anyone actually activate any of those elements. It was only that I knew of the wristbands and where to find them that I even remembered to look for them in the shop. Overall I think they've missed the mark on those wristbands, and aren't marketing them as well as they should. Most of the elements didn't jump out as 'if you spend $15 you can make this thing do stuff', and overall it just appeared as 'here's some nice things to take photos of' - disappointing.

30 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Overall I think they've missed the mark on those wristbands, and aren't marketing them as well as they should. Most of the elements didn't jump out as 'if you spend $15 you can make this thing do stuff', and overall it just appeared as 'here's some nice things to take photos of' - disappointing.

I definitely area with you on this one Alex. They could even just have a few A-stands in and around the Villains area advertising the bands, so you can interact with the area. While I was walking around the area a couple of times this morning, never saw anyone with a band using them, instead they were just having photos with them. Maybe they could even try to sell them at the admission booths.

Edited by themagician

Not another bloody A-frame. There are way too many of them in our parks as it is!!!

I think there is a need for a cart such as the food vendors have, where they're placed out in the middle of the precinct, selling them. They could then engage with people who are near the experiences, and point out that they are interactive with wristband. Oh, and by the way - did I mention you can buy them directly from me as I stand here right now? :)

The right retail cast member could make their wages back in an hour doing that... and if things are slow you can always redeploy them - sell balloons in WB kids, capes and masks in DC superhero alley... i did see a 'spray fan' barrow making its way down towards scooby at one point - so they do have cast members doing those things - its just a matter of changing the product in the cart...

A roving person carrying something kind of like a ice cream vendor would be cool. Actually allow them to quickly tag on and demonstrate what happens on one of the elements. Make it more enticing (and make sense) than someone just standing at a stall.

Edited by Levithian

• 2 weeks later...

Dec 2016 Villains Unleashed Area - Review:

I visited the new Villains Unleashed area in early December last year. Unfortunately Doomsday was down for maintenance, but I'll hopefully get a ride when I visit again in March. My thoughts on the area: it is very well done, and makes great use of a previously underutilised space of the park. The character statues are of fantastic quality, especially the doomsday character smashing through the ride signage - the level of detail here is impressive. This is now my favourite ride sign/entrance sign of any flat ride in Australia. I love how the doomsday lettering looks like it's ripped straight out of a comic book. Their are little details throughout the whole area - in the signage and buildings - that will probably only make sense to serious DC fans (which I am not). That just shows how deep they have gone with the theming and research into the IP used. 

I'm not a fan of the pay-to-play system for the games. IMO they should be free to use, as the games are interesting, but nothing memorable. I liked the practical effect games, better than the screen based ones, e.g. The Killer Kroc interactive water fountain and Joker's 'test your strength' game. If they were all practical effect games I would see the $15 wristband price a good deal.....but atm I'd rather spend it on some lunch at Dirty Harry's. This is just my opinion - and I'm sure I'm not the target market for these game experiences.

My only big complaint of the area, is it's location in the park. It's kinda just been plonked in between scooby and wild west falls. It doesn't make sense. This area should have been used to further expand the wild west area, or develop a Mad Max themed area/ride. 

The villains unleashed area should have been built in the Arkham Courtyard. Thematically and story-wise, it would have made so much more sense - 'The Joker has set loose Arkham Asylum's biggest and baddest villains. Join them in their plot to destroy the asylum and ride the Doomsday Destroyer - a monstorous looping ride'. This could have seen the re-opening of the chinatown alley for improved guest flow - with arkham asylum themeing and characters placed throughout the courtyard as well. Furthermore, it would have solidified the front section of the park as 'DC Comics plaza'.

Overall though it's a great family area, with a good filler family thrill ride to suit - which I looking forward to riding in March. Props to the design, engineering and build team at Movieworld. From what I understand, this area was designed in-house. Keep up the great work, and can't wait to see what themeing is in store for the new hyper coaster!

Edited by Luke

26 minutes ago, Luke said:

The villains unleashed area should have been built in the Arkham Courtyard. Thematically and story-wise, it would have made so much more sense - 'The Joker has set loose Arkham Asylum's biggest and baddest villains. Join them in their plot to destroy the asylum and ride the Doomsday Destroyer - a monstorous looping ride'. This could have seen the re-opening of the chinatown alley for improved guest flow - with arkham asylum themeing and characters placed throughout the courtyard as well. Furthermore, it would have solidified the front section of the park as 'DC Comics plaza'.

I agree, it could make the flow of traffic marginally better. But there isnt enough space in that courtyard, and it would be really cramped. And then, it would be really hard to get around int here because theres just not enough space for it there. I do think its in a bit of an odd area, but IMO, the asylum courtyard would be a much worse spot to put it.

@wileecoyote I agree that the courtyard would have been a tight fit - and perhaps it would have been a challenge to design the area to allow for comfortable guest flow in the courtyard. The concrete staircase would have to have been flattened. Perhaps the number of villain characters would have to decrease, and the queue-line for doomsday would have travelled down the chinatown alleyway to save room.

1 minute ago, Luke said:

@wileecoyote I agree that the courtyard would have been a tight fit - and perhaps it would have been a challenge to design the area to allow for comfortable guest flow in the courtyard. The concrete staircase would have to have been flattened. Perhaps the number of villain characters would have to decrease, and the queue-line for doomsday would have travelled down the chinatown alleyway to save room.

Theres this spot thats in between the fencing for Superman Escape and the building of Arkham Asylum that just has a few broken chairs. In behind there, would be a perfect spot to put it... theres heaps of space, it would fit in the DC area and the flow of traffic might be a bit better, which means, they can still open up the China Town alley for better access to that area. 

@Levithian i think he meant behind the fence, as in on the grounds of the studio 

On 2/9/2017 at 1:04 PM, wileecoyote said:

Theres this spot thats in between the fencing for Superman Escape and the building of Arkham Asylum that just has a few broken chairs. In behind there, would be a perfect spot to put it... theres heaps of space, it would fit in the DC area and the flow of traffic might be a bit better, which means, they can still open up the China Town alley for better access to that area. 

And he's right - it would fit.... Like this:

589ebdbe88d12_doomsdayalternate.thumb.png.1ca041456c91176c810979270161039f.png

24 minutes ago, red dragin said:

We are expecting that space to relate to the new ride though. 

You could have probably squeezed into the Arkham courtyard if you used the old queue, relocated/removed the unused Arkham shop, and removed the old Lethal Weapon theatre. 

All moot now of course. 

but - for the new ride, if it relates at all, it would likely only be a pathway - the ride itself is unlikely to use that area. Having Doomsday in that spot would have connected the areas...

16 minutes ago, joz said:

As a side point it's good to see them running 2 trains on Superman in that photo

Lol. Nicely spotted @joz

3 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

^ But.... how in those positions? 

Not sure if serious...