Luna Park-Just for Fun!!

Jobe

Hi guys!! This is my first post in this forum....I would just like to extend to Richard my hearty congratulations on an excellent site that is growing all the time!!! :D Well i am here to discuss my favorite park since I have been a kid....a place that held so much magic !! Luna Park Sydney!! Recently it was announced that the Metro Edgely proposal was approved by the govt and I sent forward an e-mail ascertaining a few questions. Here's what I asked... Hi, My name is John and it is with distinct pleasure that I read that Luna Park has finally been given the green light for a revitalisation!! I have fond memories of this marvellous place from my childhood and would love to take my children there to sample the joys that i experienced!! However I have a number of simple questions that need answering if you would do me the pleasure. I have researched the history of Luna Park extensively and have a fair knowledge of its workings,rides and attractions from 1935 to present. *Firstly: The site says that the character of Luna Park will be preserved. But with no Big Dipper,(ie no main attraction) what will be its main focus now?? Do you think that the Luna Circus( a great idea i admit) will be enough to make the park viable?? *The site states that the Tumblebug,Rotor,Tango,Dodgems, Ferris Wheel,Wild Mouse, Coney Island and childrens rides will be retained. However what is to happen to the UFO ( a great thrill ride!!), The Spider( a great family ride that should be retained), the Ranger( ok it was a bit carnival but a fantastic white knuckle ride) and the Octopus( a family favorite) Why cant these be incorporated into the new park(other than room) and do you feel that the cutting of the number of rides and attractions will lessen the viabilty of the project?? ( I feel that this is a mistake and that as many rides as possible should be retained to KEEP Luna Parks unique character.) *Now that the Dipper is gone and you have stated the rides to be retained. Can you elaborate on any new rides or attractions that will be added or are planned?? Perhaps a River Caves ride??( this would be fantastic and a REAL drawcard if done properly) Any other thrill rides?? * what are the chances of Luna Park getting another coaster?(something smaller the the previous Dipper, how about something that can be put indoors??There are plenty of US and European models with small footprints that can be put into an indoor structure and fit quite nicely within Luna Parks confines. This would be a great attraction indeed, coupled with the new Circus and would also be unique in Australia(other than the Spooky coaster at Movie World) How about the Beastie coaster from Wonderland?? This is currently standing but not operating and would harken back to the days of the old wooden Dipper!! Classic!!(Something that should never have been torn down IMHO) This is something I feel that the park needs to bring back visitors and keep them coming back... a world class ride that WONT annoy the residents. Has this idea been considered or discussed??? If not why not?? and will it be reviewed?? * Lastly if you may, can you give me an overview of of the whole park as it is going to be, with ride locations and new attractions? maybe a map or etc?? This would be fantastic. I look forward to hearing from you. I must admit to being a little disappointed about having a Luna Park with no major coaster and a lessening of rides( an opinion which seems to be in the majority to the people i have talked to) However i am gladdened to hear that the park is going to survive and be for the general public again. I live by the old Luna saying: Just for fun!!!!!! Regards John Graham Boingo95@Hotmail.com Note the slant towards and ever hopeful desire for a coaster of some type!! Well here is the reply that i received!!! Dear John Thank you for your email and your enthusiastic support for Luna Park. To answer your queries:- 1) Metro Edgley initially submitted two proposals to the selection panel for Luna Park - one incorporating the Big Dipper and the other without. Unfortunately for people such as yourself, the second proposal was selected. The Big Dipper is now enjoying a new life as "The Cyclone" at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast. With the court ruling restricting its hour of operations, it just was not a feasible option to keep it at Luna Park. 2) The new Luna Circus will fit well into the matrix of Luna Park. It will be able to feature the best of Australian and overseas "non-animal" circuses as well as being used for concerts, magic shows, conferences, banquets and exhibitions. This, together with the improved function facilities and new cafes, will certainly make the Park viable. 3) The UFO will remain at Luna Park in its current location, ie above the administration building. With regard to the Ranger and Octopus, it was just a question of trying to find some space in which to locate them. Metro Edgley was keen to keep all the rides however it has been a compromise between finding sufficient space and also being a considerate neighbour. 4) It has always been Metro Edgley's dream to return the River Caves to Luna Park and even though they are not part of the current plans, it is hoped that in the not to distant future they can be built. Space permitting, it is hoped that new rides can be leased for the holiday periods to give our visitors a different experience when they return. 5) Unfortunately the small size of Luna Park prohibits the introduction of another rollercoaster however you will find that the refurbished Wild Mouse ride will be as exciting, if not more, than any rollercoaster ride! Currently we do not have any plans that can be emailed to you, however in a few weeks we will have sign boards up around the Park showing the location of the rides and venues. Also I think you will find that there will be a similar number of rides operating as there were when the Park was opened in 1995. Entry to the Park will be free and visitors will only have to pay for the rides they want to ride. We look forward to welcoming you back to Luna Park in 2004 - Just for Entertainment! Just for Weddings! Just for Conferences! Just for Lunch! and of course - Just for Fun! best regards Anna Hearne Functions Manager Luna Park Sydney So there you go!! River Caves in the not to distant future( Translation: No money now and we will wait and see if the park is viable) Only coaster will be the Wild Mouse as there is not enough room!!! Rubbish!! They obviously havent seen too many designs for some of the more compact coasters that could be housed indoors....any one have any ideas or suggestions here guys?? So...while i am happy that Luna Park is to survive and hopefully thrive I hold out for hope that they gain in the near future a world class coaster or white knuckle ride to put the smile back permanently on Mr Moon's face!! Cheers Jobe

• Like 1

Firstly, welcome along :-). Thanks for your support - it's what we need most! I was at the Luna Park site a few weeks back (hence the gallery on the main page). It is indeed not the same as without the Big Dipper. While I never did ride the coaster at Luna Park, I did see it many times, and it indeed was a brilliant sight to see across the harbour etc. I must too, question the idea that there is no room for a significant coaster. The company that owns the park doesn't appear to have any significant experience with the amusement industry. I don't think they've quite investigated all possible options with regards to coasters etc. You spoke of small compact type coasters. I'm going to go an entirely different direction. I'm sure you're all familiar with Intamin's latest work in the area of coasters. Well, there would not be a better style of ride for Luna Park Sydney than a nice big twisted (probably rather short) non-looping coaster that circumnavigates the park. The track they use is able to support itself very well, and consequently doesn't require as many supports, and they can be placed at pretty much whatever angle necessary to fit them in (ie over buildings, pathways etc.). Their elevator lifts are fast, quiet and can be built very steep. Intamin also use special techniques to make the rides as quiet as possible where necessary, including isolator pads and sand-filled supports. I understand much of the problem with Big Dipper wasn't so much the noise the ride directly created, but the screams of riders. Tunnels can be easily used to diminish these sounds in areas that'll most effect local residents. We're not talking outrageously huge costs either. Scooby-Doo at Movie World was a whopping $13m. A ride similar to what I'm talking about would be perhaps $12m at the most. Enough dreaming for one day. :) I'll have to wait until I get my hands on the park when this one goes bust. ;)

It does seem a bit unoriginal - though I think that "Just for fun!" slogan represents what was Dreamworld's best days. Then again, their current slogan "Never had so much fun!" is from Frenzal Rhomb's ) song of the same name. The reason they could use it is it was probably not able to be copyrighted easily, being 90-odd years old, and being used at many parks throughout time. I'm not really an expert (meaning I know very little) on copyright laws, so this is by all means a guess.

• 2 months later...

"Just For Fun" was Luna Park's original slogan when it opened way back then in 1935. Having just been to the Royal Easter Show in Sydney I have just ridden an Australian first....The Crazy Mouse Spinning coaster!! Its excellent!! My point is that Luna Park could have one of these installed VERY easily....perhaps make it indoor for a dark ride...it would be excellent.!!! They have a rediculously small footprint ,give reasonable thrills and are unique in Australia and could be themed quite well!! :D Voila!! There you have an attraction that people will want to go and see and ride and take in the whole park!! Part of Luna Park's attraction for me is that you used to be able to go on a Fri or Sat night and ride!! It makes for a whole new ride experience riding in the dark!!! The atmosphere is fantastic!! Anyone have any ideas for a "River Caves Themed ride?? Keeping in mind the space needed and the space available at Luna Park..any ideas?? I also feel that a Mine ride like "Dreamworlds" Eureka mine train would work quite well in Luna Park...Its partially enclosed so noise isnt a problem..you can build around and on it...so space SHOULDNT be an issue.It could be part mine train part ghost train(like Scooby Doo). If only I was the one advising Metro Edgley.....Oh well... What do you guys think??? Cheers Jobe

• 2 months later...

Ok just got back another E-mail from Luna Park. I was asking for a a little clarification on a few points.. Any way here is what i asked!! 8) Hi, Just a few quick questions regarding Luna Park,if you would be so kind to answer!!. *Firstly, exactly what rides from the old incarnation of the park are going to remain.( These include if i am not mistaken-The Wild Mouse,The Rotor,The Tumble Bug, The UFO,The Tango, The Octopus,The Spider,and The Ranger.) Which ones are staying and which ones are going and why for each??If it is room why cant they be accomodated in the new plans?? Do you think that it will harm Luna Park's viability to limit itself to so few rides??-especially, if not all of the above are going to be in the park? Do you have any plans for new rides to be installed in the park?? what are they if any?? Since the removal of the Big Dipper( a great shame!!) are you worried that the Park's long term appeal will be lost?? *Has there been any consideration of installing another coaster?? such as an indoor one or a mine train themed one like Eureka Mine train at Dreamworld?? (It could even be themed to be part coaster part Ghost train-See Scooby Doo Spooky coaster at Movieworld for example) Enclosed would rule out any noise opposition from residents. (This would be a fanatasic addition to Luna Park's lineup of rides and coupled with the Luna Circus would be a great dual attraction!!) * Are there any plans or ideas to install a River Caves ride to really return Luna Park to its once halcyon days?? I think that if you installed a couple of new rides like these two ideas, Luna Park would be enhanced greatly and would have a wider ranging appeal. It would be a great family day or night out and would suit the whole family age group from kids to teens looking for thrills. * Could you e-mail me a plan for the new Luna Park showing which rides go where etc?? Thankyou in advance As you can see I share a love of Luna Park that dates back to my childhood.I am really concerned and interested about its future and any info would be greatly appreciated Cheers, John And here is the reply!! :evil: Dear John Thank you so much for your interest in Luna Park. Most of the old rides are currently being refurbished at a site in Homebush and will be reinstated at the Park when it opens in March 2004. As you know, the Big Dipper went to Dreamworld and the Octopus also has been sold as it was not feasible to have it refurbished. Apart from the rides you list, we will also have U-Drive, Space Shuttle, Coney Island, Whirly Wheel and an antique Commander Baldocks Gallopers (or Carousel) which will house the original organ from Luna Park. Entry to the Park when it is open to the general public will be free and you will only need to pay for the rides you want to go on. Your suggestion of an internal rollercoaster is good, however you are correct - there is no space for any more large rides. It would mean having to get rid of the Wild Mouse and this cannot be done as it is heritage listed. On the site of the Big Dipper will be a Circus building which will feature many different shows including circuses, concerts, magic shows, etc. This will help the financial viability of the Park together with refurbished function rooms in the Crystal Palace which will be very popular for weddings, dinners, etc. At this stage we do not have a plan in a suitable format to email you. We look forward to seeing you at the Park when it reopens. best regards Anna Faggion Functions Manager Luna Park Sydney Ph: 02 9922 6644 Fax: 02 9929 7580 __________________________________________________ So the current roster to date of rides at Luna Park Sydney will include 1) The Ferris Wheel 2)The Tango 3)The Tumblebug 4)The Rotor 5)The Ranger 6)The Spider 7)The UFO 8)The Wild Mouse 9)The Dodgems 10)Coney Island 11) Merry go Round 12) Various Kids rides plus the attraction of the Luna Circus Well its better than I had hoped for....the retaining of the Ranger surprised me greatly!!. And there will be other rides introduced but I expect they will be similar carnival type rides. Its interesting to note that in the original plans for the 95' incarnation of the park the Ranger was replaced with a Huss ride called " The Rainbow" I think that this would have been a far better ride to install at Luna-being more family friendly whilst still serving up decent thrills and the added bonus of a great view over the harbour-imagine it at night!! That would be cool!! :D How does this ride roster compare to Luna Park Melbourne?? I dont think that the Melbourne site would beat it by very much!! As an aside to there is an article in the Daily Telegraph today about Luna Park Sydney. Apparently the North Shore residents are up to their old tricks again...abusing the workers anbd generally making life difficult for all involved!!! What a bunch of arrogant rich twats!!! The park was there long before any of these high rise appartments and they should just learn to live with it and stop raining on everyones parade.They knew what they were buying into ,which IMHO removes their right to protest at all!! Wankers!!!!!!!!!! And I mean WANKERS!! :evil: :twisted: :evil: Still the article showed some great photos of the construction site..esp the excavation for the six level underground carpark. Also showed that the famous face had been raised up so that trucks and the like could safely pass under. If I had a scanner i would have put it on the site...anyone else have it?? ;) :bert: :mrgreen: I am feeling fairly positive about the whole situation now....would just love 2 more rides though-a enclosed mine train ride and a River Caves Ride!! We will have to wait and see if the quality of shows are going to be up to scratch! :) Comments anyone?? :shock: Cheers Jobe

Great! I've never been to Luna Park.. wish I had! I can't believe I missed out on the credit when Big Dipper was operational, I guess I wasn't quite the enthusiast in 2000 when the park was open for the olympics. Good to know that the mouse will still be there, that'll bring my credit count to a whopping 15! :) ~Flea

Sounds good..... Interesting article in one of the Sydney papers the other day (I don't know how many saw it) about construction at the park, and the problems workers are having with neighbours to the Luna Park site. Apparently, workers have been suffering abuse (including being spat on from balconies) while they are working. Workers have reportedly been approached by locals asking if they will be working on Saturdays and when they answer in the affirmative have been told to get ****ed then. Locals have also apparently called rangers down to the site when construction work begins one or two minutes outside the agreed operating times.....

Guest boycotta

seriously luna park sydney is god, the wild mouse never opearted at the time unfortunately but the tumble bug, ranger, ufo, rotor, coney island, ferris wheel, spider,dodgems, tango, and the big dipper was operating. the park was never busy and only took like an hour to tour all the rides but the big dipper was all worth while. it was the best and i liked how at night the atmosphere there was extravagant and i really liked how you would ride the big dipper at night while going up the conveyabelt towards the harbour bridge. the good part of the ride is how you go 1 metre above the drop just to pick up speed before the first drop. i love that part, its really esciting. i have to say the best ride there is the tango. its also the longest ride ever. it goes forwards and backwards and just maked you laugh so much. luna park is still good but IMO i have to say without the big dipper which stood out so much and made the park look so good. the park will be boring and never be the same again. wonderland should have bought the big dipper actually. it would of continued the sydney atmosphere where the ride truly belongs.

Dude, you've miss-spelled no less then 9 words, dispensed with paragraphs, put 1 space after a full stop 10 times and have been unable to find the shift Key a whopping 35 times. I'm not even ganna start trying to work out how many grammatical mistakes there are. How about this Boycotta, click that edit button, copy the text, put it in word, and do a spell and gramma check, and repost it. Thank you..

seriously luna park sydney is god, the wild mouse never opearted at the time unfortunately but the tumble bug, ranger, ufo, rotor, coney island, ferris wheel, spider,dodgems, tango, and the big dipper was operating. the park was never busy and only took like an hour to tour all the rides but the big dipper was all worth while. it was the best and i liked how at night the atmosphere there was extravagant and i really liked how you would ride the big dipper at night while going up the conveyabelt towards the harbour bridge. the good part of the ride is how you go 1 metre above the drop just to pick up speed before the first drop. i love that part, its really esciting. i have to say the best ride there is the tango. its also the longest ride ever. it goes forwards and backwards and just maked you laugh so much. luna park is still good but IMO i have to say without the big dipper which stood out so much and made the park look so good. the park will be boring and never be the same again. wonderland should have bought the big dipper actually. it would of continued the sydney atmosphere where the ride truly belongs.
[run_spellcheck.exe]. No offense or anything, but the way you write messages is real annoying and un-readable. I can't stress how much this is getting on my nerves, but I really want to be able to read people's messages, not deliberately skip the whole post for the sake of my I.Q. Thanks, ~Liam

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...