Wonderland Sydney 1985-2004 (TR)

Flea

I spent the day there today with Clint (DJ Rappa) & Andrew. Surprisingly, I'm not as sad as I thought I would be. The atmosphere at the park was brilliant, entertainment was even existant (some little kids show & a few dancers). Before the gates opened for the day, there was a M-C getting the crowd to scream and such. Anyway, now to the good bit... Clint, Andrew & I decided to try to get the last ever ride on Bush Beast. So we hung around the queue from 4-5pm. I was becoming more nervous as 5pm approached, as I was quite convinced that we would not get the last ride. So we all made a deal to ensure the last ride - we would all pay the op's $20. Thankfully, the line was closed off at 5pm, so we just placed ourselfs at the back of the queue and kept the $20 in our wallets. The last ride was insane, I think Clint will be better explaining how great it was :) I got a guy to take a picture of us in the train, will post that later. Farewell Wonderland! Liam

Well sadly that day we all had hoped would just remain as rumours and speculation has come and gone. Wonderland Sydney is now officially on the 'defunct parks' list. I really hope all the staff are now living it up in a big way at the farewell party tonight because they certainly deserved it after today (and the rest of the weekend so I hear)! The atmosphere in the park today was amazing, you would never think that all these people would be unemployed as of tomorrow because they certainly weren't showing any signs of it. The park was expecting mammoth crowds today which as I speculated didn't eventuate. The park was moderately busy, but more like a normal (pre closing) weekend than anything. The great thing was the amazing number of staff working today. We saw all areas of the park returned to the proper staffing levels they once had. We're talking 5 ops. on probe, 2-3 on Demon, several on Snowy and at least 2 on everything else. As mentioned by Liam there was also a lot of entertainment around with plenty of characters and the like on show all day. We enjoyed a few rides on Probe, Demon, and BB, as well as being sure to get one in on all the rest. There had been some major re-programming on Snomy as everyone was getting drenched by both the rapids and the squirters. About 4 o'clock we began the major mission for the day...operation "Last ride on Bush Beast." :) We made our way down to BB and began a long wait in the station just to make sure our place was secure. At just before 5 the que line was closed off and we began the wait in the front row. We had some very determined competition for that last ride in the front but any of you t hat know me would know there was no chance of me being denied LOL Fortunately I had already seeked out the ride op earlier and got the nod for the last ride. The last cycle of the Yellow Train was dispatched leaving only myself, Liam and Andrew in the station. Red Train rolled in and this was it, the last ride EVER for BB. The rest of the train re-shuffled to allow us to board the front 2 rows and the Ops filled the empties up with those at the exit. To much cheering and fanfare we were dispatched and proceeded on IMO the best ride on Bush Beast ever. The sunset was beautiful from the top of the lift silhouetting Probe and Demon. We crested the hill and the train erupted in a cheer which continued for mostly the entire ride. We pulled back into the station and a simultaneous applause was given for the ride ops by the whole train. So ended he last ever day of trading for Wonderland Sydney. As I drove home the emotion of it all did somewhat hit me...a part of my childhood is now gone forever. All in all probably one of the greatest days ever at Wonderland. ...now...on to the Auction! Anyone else make it out there? Besides Jaggie and Wonderbus that is...

I managed to get out there today and managed to get the last ride on Space Probe with 2 good mates. We ran into the station as they were closing the entrance and begged to be let on and so we enjoyed the last ride with the Ride Op. staff while a manager operated the ride. Tried to get onto the Demon for the last ride but unfortunately had no luck. Managed to get the Zodiac's last ride. Also got interviewed for an article for Sydney Morning Herald with some other visitors and some staff members. Also managed to persuade some colleagues from work to come who deal with photography who managed to take around 5000 photos total in addition to my 210 so I hope to have them available via a website soon. Also, i have got to say that I could not believe the amount of people fighting for merchandise in the Main Entry Store. It reminded me of a Christmas Sale where people were stepping all over each other to get less than half price merchandise. I spent around $200 on merchandise. I have also filled out an Expression of Interest form for an attraction and should know within the week how I go so I will let you guys know. More to come... Neil

Hey Coasterfreak, i was on the last ride to! Me and my brother were the ones who were behind you and wanted the last ride and kept letting people in front. You seememd suspicious though that we were taking photos and videos of everything. Well now i can say i've met you.

If we listen to all the stories that we'll hear, there'd have been 6000 people on the last cycle of each ride. A bit like, I was there to see Don Bradman score his 334. I'm not saying you guys are bullcrapping though, it's just that everyone will be saying the same as you. Anyone rip off anything worthy of a mention?

Yeah Daniel I agree, wat time did you probe guys leave the park out of curiosity?? At least you can feel safe in the knowledge Dan that we DID actualy get that ride, after all why say it if you didnt. Its not like anyone really cares other than ones self :-p

Here are some of the photos from yesterday's visit. 1. Shows the crowd gathering together for the opening of the gates for the last day. At this time there was a MC getting the crowd pumped up. 2. Shows the great female dancer and the not-so-great male dancers as part of the entertainment for the day. 3. Shows Kevin's sign with the statistics of how many times he rode the rides etc. 4. Shows Andrew, Clint & I coming back from the last Bush Beast ride ever. Andrew is front left, Clint front right and I'm there in the back. Seems everyone can handle flashes except me, LOL!

No foolon, I was on the last Demon Cycle ever.
joz are you, sorry, were you a attractions staff member? If you weren't then please take that comment back because I can assure you that you were not on the last cycle. The very last cycle on Demon on Monday was for staff only. "The Bus is now leaving for Staff Camp Creek, Victoria"

How am I supposed to know joz didn't come down to Sydney for the last day? A lot of people came from interstate for the last day so why not you? ScReAM everyone is going to go back to disco roller skating on Saturday nights now. "The Bus is now leaving for Windy Drop Down Creek, NSW"