Virtual Reality on Motocoaster at Dreamworld

New display name

VR TAKES OFF AT DREAMWORLD!
This morning we're proud to announce that in an Australian first we're previewing a locally-developed VR experience called 'SkyRider' on #BIG9 Thrill Ride the Mick Doohan Motocoaster!

With CEO Craig Davidson & the coasters namesake Mick Doohan in pole position for testing, it's easy to see that it's a jaw dropping experience :P

Tailor made by the team at Dreamworld with partners Rotor Studios & Samsung - the experience is truly one of a kind and one we couldn't be more proud of

VR.jpg

Over the September school holidays we'll be inviting a limited number of guests per day (conditions apply*) to preview SkyRider in preparation for the official launch later this year

I still like the idea of horse racing but at least I got the ride right.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

7 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

VR TAKES OFF AT DREAMWORLD!
This morning we're proud to announce that in an Australian first we're previewing a locally-developed VR experience called 'SkyRider' on #BIG9 Thrill Ride the Mick Doohan Motocoaster!

With CEO Craig Davidson & the coasters namesake Mick Doohan in pole position for testing, it's easy to see that it's a jaw dropping experience :P

Tailor made by the team at Dreamworld with partners Rotor Studios & Samsung - the experience is truly one of a kind and one we couldn't be more proud of

VR.jpg

Over the September school holidays we'll be inviting a limited number of guests per day (conditions apply*) to preview SkyRider in preparation for the official launch later this year

I still like the idea of horse racing but at least I got the ride right.

Could revamped the whole ride to something themed to Ned Kelly being chased by cops through old Ballarat or something. Would of fit the bushy feel to the whole area better. IMO

Save the Galactic Frontier in Dreamworld's first Virtual Reality ride experience.

The fate of the galactic frontier is in your hands as you take to the skies on a SkyRider mission vital to earth’s defence. Evade your enemies as you race through an alien landscape like nothing you’ve seen before. You’re our last, best hope in this high velocity adventure in a bleeding edge Virtual Reality environment. 

Escape – Outrun – Survive – do whatever it takes to complete your SkyRider mission to deliver the firing codes and defeat the alien attackers.

SkyRider Virtual Reality on the Motocoaster is launching soon at Dreamworld, but you can still be one of the lucky few to preview it over the coming weeks. Dreamworld will be allowing a limited number of guests per day to preview the SkyRider virtual reality experience as we make final preparations for the official launch.

That was from DW website, and my understanding is that the VR won't have anything to do with the theme of MDMC. If my understanding is correct, in my opinion thats a stupid idea. Why wouldn't you have the VR system make it look like your riding a motorbike track. And it looks like your on a bike, and racing against others.

4 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

They would not need VR to achieve that. All they would need to do is put a race track under the coaster and done.

Yeah, but with a VR motorbike race you could have crashes etc happening around you, a cameo with Mick Doohan riding up beside you, a more spectacular setting with buildings, tunnels etc....

And of course, the proportions of the curves etc could be increased in the footage to make it feel like actual high speed.

Have some imagination mate.

Edited by Gazza

And I thought DW having themed lands/rides placed in the wrong places was terrible - making a ride have 2 themes is just ridiculous. Let's hope this won't become a trend:

“All going well, we hope to introduce VR as an option on other rides and attractions in the park to further extend and enhance the guest experience.”

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

if Hot Wheels is another ride that will have VR functionality, I think it would be cool if the VR's theme takes place into a kid's bedroom and you are riding on actual Hot Wheels track in that's set up in the room in the exact layout of the attraction.

just my suggestion

Damn it DW. That confirms that they are adding a space theme to the VR. It's great that they are introducing the system to the ride, but why have a system that displays something that doesn't even relate to the ride. All I can hope for, is they refurbish the ride next year to suit that theme of the VR. Otherwise, very pointless and disappointed. Magician ain't happy.

Yes, Sadly it seems the Mick Doohan connection will remain, and i'm disappointed they've chosen what I imagine is a generic off the shelf VR system. I'm sure that the alien invasion VR is designed to fit onto any coaster and it just modifies the turns and twists to suit the ride it is on - so this won't be the only park in the world you can experience it. I think its a greatly missed opportunity that they did not theme the VR to motorcycles, but of course that would have meant designing the VR experience from the ground up - and when your competitor is just about the launch a similar experience, one does have to get it out as quickly or risk getting left behind.

I'm not suggesting they're copying MW - i'm sure both parks have been working on these VR projects for some time, but like with most other things in both parks, comparisons will be made, and DW will once again be considered to have pulled it off half assed:

• Jet Rescue vs. MDMC
  • Aqualoop vs. Wedgie
  • etc.

I am still confused by the Mick Doohan connection, are we joining him to fight aliens? This sounds a hell of a lot like what The New Revolution has and if it is the same/similar I am sorry but compared to what Movie World are doing with Arkham it will definitely have the view that @AlexB has made of being a half assed attempt.

I personally think the idea of a motogp themed VR of you racing other riders on a track would have been a much better choice. I know I would be more likely to try that.