Village Roadshow Launches Queue-Jumping Food Ordering App

Jamberoo Fan

VRTP's Queue-Jumping Food Ordering App  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this was a wise move by VRTP?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you download & use VRTP's new queue-jumping food ordering app?

• No
    • Yes, I'll download it and use it
    • Yes, I'll download it but won't use it
  3. 3. If you end using the app, what would you do while waiting for your food?

• Go find a spot where you'll eat
    • Have photos taken with roaming characters
    • Watch a show
    • Go on a ride
    • Just wait at the counter
    • Use the amenities

AirService and Village RoadShow Launch Queue-Jumping Food Ordering App At Theme Parks

Australian mobile technology company AirService has partnered with Village Roadshow Theme Parks (VRTP) to provide its mobile food ordering and virtual queuing solution across the group’s theme parks.

The eServe app enables park-goers to skip the queue when ordering food from the park’s retailers.

“Imagine you’re a family out at the theme park. Instead of standing in a queue with your young children and missing out on all the fun of Movie World, you just make an order and continue to enjoy the rides and entertainment until your food is ready to pick up,” AirService co-founder and CEO Dominic Bressan said.

Gotham City restaurant at Warner Bros. Movie World is the first theme park to use the app, which will next expand into Wet’n’Wild Gold Coast and Sydney.

VRTP spokesperson Selena Magill said the app has been well-received at Movie World and is expected to have the same success at other locations.

“In addition to taking the logical step of making the ordering process easier for our customers, we also want to make their visit to our parks as exciting and memorable an experience as possible,” she said.

“It’s great to be able to work with AirService to implement the latest technology and really give our customers an A-grade dining experience.

Source: Open House Food Service Magazine

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Haha I didn't realise the Gotham City Cafe trial had run that long. I saw it pop up on the Gold Coast Bulletin website in the past half hour then noticed lots of other news articles written about it over the past few days so I checked recent forum posts but found nothing so I thought it was new and no-one knew. VRTP must have launched it yesterday though to have that many news articles pop up.

I haven't been following Gold Coast theme park forum topics much lately until those Mack Rides crates appeared at MW so I might be out of the loop for some things too.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

If that's referring to me not knowing they were trialling it back in May, I haven't been to MW in over 5 years - just saying.

18 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

Ah yes, the trusty gc bulletin. Always a reliable source of up to date information. 

Other news sources did report it over the past few days but yes, Gold Coast Bulletin was the last to report it :P

• 9 months later...

Bit of a bump, but I used eServe twice in the last couple of weeks and must compliment the park on how easy and quick it was to use. Paid via PayPal and only had to wait 5-10 minutes over lunch time. 

This would have also been the first time I'd eaten at Gotham Cafe in years (last time was long before the new offerings) and wow, I'd been missing out. Those new burgers are great and I'd even go as far as saying better than the crap you could get at maccas. Now I know that's not a really high bar, but I'd always looked at Australian theme park food as pretty poor - my last experience not counting speciality places like Rick's or the DW buffet was the burger place over near WWF (the one that never seems open now) and the burger was like a rock and completely overcooked. Just to add- that was several years ago.

Edited by Reanimated35

5 hours ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

Best part was the look on the faces of people who had been queued for food for 20+ minutes and I just walk up and get served right away as far as they are concerned...

The real question is how does an outlet with a small menu of pre-made fast food ever have a queue of 20 minutes? How much business is being lost by folks deciding that a $25 burger combo just isn't worth the wait in that scenario?

I used the app once. I set a pick up about 15 minutes later because I wasn't nearby and was in no hurry. It pinged me about three minutes later saying my food is ready. When I finally arrived they didn't just grab the next burger sitting in the heat chute but rather ducked back into the kitchen and grabbed the same item that had been sitting god-knows-where waiting for me.

I wrote a review on the system a year ago that I never hit publish on. This was early on so I'd like to think they fixed these pretty glaring issues, rendering my less-than-stellar review outdated.