theme park industry career

hi, i am very fond of theme parks and would be interested to be involved with them when i finish school. Have any of you got backgrounds in the theme park/tourism industry? If so, I'd greatly appreciate if you can share your experiences. I know that in NSW right now, opportunities are bleak, but things could change i imagine. Thanks for your help.

Can you actually do a specific course for Theme Parks? I have pretty much given up on a job in the industry, not enough openings and I dont want to do an enginnering course specificaly for ride design becuase if I cant get a job at a manufacuter, Im stuck with a degree for an industry that doesnt really interest me. I think Ill become an Architect. Id suggest just getting a foot in the door at LPS if you can, its the only real oppurtunity in NSW so its better than nothing. If you do get a job there, show that you are switched on and see what happens from there.

Theme Park career in Australia? Not likely... :P For a few minutes maybe. Although look at our train driver boofhead mate Galbraith. He's doing alright for himself these days isn't he? He started at the bottom old son. Still there in my book too. CEO of a crap Asian company after all. Who really gives a crap about them? If you want to end up like him, get a job in a theme park and suck, I mean, work your way to the top. A manager at Wonderland was simply a ride operator and his boss was just a PA. Ended up with a managers job some how... They all started at the bottom mate. I think TAFE NSW offer a number of Theme Park related hospitality courses.

Daniel, do you know what Stephen Galbraith started off as? I know he was the CEO of Sea World for a large amount of time. The theme park industry is definitely one of those industries where you can gain most of your knowledge through work experience as it is such a specific field. I know of a lot of managers at different parks who have not studied at university but have been able to work their way up to top level ranks. If you have a passion for it and have years of specialty experience, you will become desirable... especially in a small place like Oz

Last I saw Gailbraith, he was either Operations Manager or GM at SW (funny feeling it was GM, as I think Andrew Cole used too be Operations Manager). Don't know what his history pre (or indeed early) SW was. Steve was responsible for bringing a bunch of good managers to Wonderland (I don't think Zoe was one of them). If your thinking about making a start in the theme park industry at the bottom, then there's plenty of spots for you on the Gold Coast. Although its hard work so be prepaird. Now probably isn't the best time to apply (more due to time of year then whatever Wonderland's been doing), but the parks are more or less always looking for staff. Just apply and see if you like it before you go insane with courses and whatnot.

Zoe definitely wasn't one. She wouldn't know if a bus was up her until someone opened the door. Probably a good PA that's about it. Definitely not the right person for an Operations Manager. I won't give anymore of my opinion as I am too damn decent. I agree with Joz, but a simple TAFE course won't kill you if you wanted. Go get a job up the coast.

Go get a job up the coast.
Funny you should mention that Daniel as I've just been messaging joz about it... trying to get some tips from the man on the coast. Anyone wanna share a GC apartment with me? I know Stephen Galbraith brought Michael Croaker with him from Sea World. Michael was one of the show presenters at Sea World and became the entertainment manager at Wonderland. I think he actually wrote the Quest for the Golden Seal show before he left. That's a perfect example of someone starting at the bottom and working their way up just through experience

Youngest ever person to announce the ski shows, at 17 years of age. A very funny and talented man, who wrote Quest For The Golden Seal (though its almost unrecognisable now with all the chops and changes), a couple of temporary shows mostly based on pirates, including bringing pirates into the ski show for a two week period. He wrote pre-shows, did atmospheric work (mostly with Laurie Podmore. Laurie was street theatre at SW, and was offered a job at Wonderland in the "Hero’s of the Outback" show, which was written with him in mind), ran competitions, and got crowds dancing before fireworks shows in the old days. In my opinion, Seaworld's entertainment division never really recovered from when he and Chuck Guard left, and although there are a couple of really good announcers (Scott and Adam in case anyone reads this wondering who I'm talking about) the shows at the moment seem bland and somewhat forced. Anyway, back on topic: If you live and breath theme parks, love the whole idea of being in an industry that sells fun, then you’ll be fine up here. A tip to anyone thinking about the move: If you want to work at Dreamworld, then move close to Dreamworld. If you want too work at a different park, then move mid way between Seaworld and Movieworld, but not too far from Paradise Country (Something like Coombabah, Southport, Helensvale, Ashmore would work well). See, you can apply to work at whichever park you want, but you may find yourself at Seaworld Movieworld Wet ‘n’ Wild or Paradise Country. If anyone's got questions, send them here!