Topgolf Gold Coast Construction

With this being discussed about in most topics and construction starting soon it might be time to for its own topic.

We all know TopGolf is going to take up a lot of land but where will this baby go.  From what information we have out there, I believe that TopGolf Australia will be based on the one located in Las Vegas. 

To get this topic going I have scaled the images together using AutoCAD and tried to position it into likely locations.

This is the location I think some people think it will go.  Only thought I have on this one is why fence the swamp if you're going to need to pull it down again.

b.JPG

This options makes some sense to me but is does mean the number 1 filming tank needs to relocated and it’s not your everyday backyard pool.  On the flip side, removing the filming tank could open up the whole area up to MW.

a.JPG

Overflow car park.  This could be why MW is planning a new car park.  I would think MW would want the new car park finished first before any constructed happened in this area.  MW saying construction to start this year might be referring to constructing the car park in readiness to resume the current overflow car park.

c.JPG

Which leaves current area behind AOS.  We know a new show is coming and maybe MW have new plans for the animals. 

d.JPG

In this location I can still see 6 stables left for MW to use.  Maybe AOS new show will only need half the amount of animals in it.

e.JPG

@AlexB can I have an image of the new sound stage.  This could all be undone by its location.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

Your first image is the positioning as I understand it.

Given what I posted this morning in terms of the square footage of the building, as well as what I understand from various articles and sources about this development - the first image is right, but the Vegas facility is much larger than the one planned for MW's site.

Here is SS9, with scale to the bottom right.

SS9.png

6 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

With this being discussed about in most topics and construction starting soon it might be time to for its own topic.

Only thought I have on this one is why fence the swamp if you're going to need to pull it down again.

I speculated construction on TopGolf would begin in September so I have a feeling the rollercoaster construction site is being shared with TopGolf's construction site (particularly given groundwork coincidentally begun at roughly the same time). Once certain things are done on the rollercoaster construction, I think they will start preparing TopGolf around it and also move/extend the construction fencing when required/TopGolf becomes the focus of construction.

Also, I thought I'd post this image that I posted in a different topic of TopGolf Alexandria overlayed onto the speculated site (according to scale) here too. It roughly matches all current measurements we know of the site:

TopGolf.jpg

@lifeofsamage The only area that I could see MW reclaim for TopGolf would be the overflow car park which I mentioned at the start.

@Jamberoo FanIn one of the latest ASX annonsments it say TopGolf construction will not start until 2017.

“FY16 was a year in which a number of projects came to fruition. This includes two management agreements in Asia and significant design and planning to bring Topgolf to Australia. Construction of the first Topgolf site is planned to start in CY17, to open in FY18. “

Also in the release it talks about Go Carts. This Go Carts thing is throwing me.  Everywhere I have looked it up it says Go Carts and not Go Karts??????????.

The other thing to mention and I think we all first read this as MW adding Go Karts to the Stunt show but it clearly says to introduce between existing shows.

“A new initiative is the introduction of Hollywood Stunt Driver 2: Go Carts into the liveshow arena between existing shows.”

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20160825/pdf/439mjrt2jy6hcl.pdf

Edited by YLFATEEKS

I don't think it is the overflow car park as it is 5 acres short of the stated site it is supposed to be on (15 acres). If it is to be there, they would need to remove some of the existing main car park first. Also it is reported that the hotel would be placed on a MW car park. I also don't think it will dominantly be placed on MW's main car park as it would block MW's iconic entrance as well as be an eyesore. I haven't heard anything about that new car park (tell me more?) but I don't think that land is owned by VRTP?

Regarding TopGolf construction timing, I stand corrected. They must have delayed it as I was basing it off the June press release that said:

Construction will begin on the first venue within the next few months with an opening scheduled for mid- to late 2017. 

The ASX announcement is definitely more accurate and up to date. I've been reading them and I don't know how I missed that.

The 'Go Carts' thing is very confusing. Being between existing shows means it has a maximum duration of 2 hours and 3 things come to mind:

1. An opportunity for visitors to race go karts around the arena.
  2. A mini-stunt show involving go karts.
  3. A mini-stunt show or audience participation involving the golf cart(s) used in the old Police Academy Stunt Show.
3 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Your image overlaps the coaster by a long way.  Why would they build a permanent fence around the swamp to pull it down again in 8 weeks?

I know it does - the TopGolf press release said it is located on a 15 acre site. Our speculated location + the rollercoaster construction site = 15 acres. And the 2 TopGolf sites I looked at on Google Maps are just less than 15 acres in size.

The only way that I can think TopGolf can overlap the rollercoaster site is if the TopGolf building is built just south of the rollercoaster with the entrance path involving walking under the rollercoaster and the golf balls being hit in the direction of the AOS car park. The only concern is if the high netting affects the outdoor filming tank.

The TopGolf construction timeline you posted is now making me doubt whether the speculated location is correct though. Guess we'll have to wait & see.

I don't know anything about this permanent fence either?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

@Jamberoo Fan MW announced it was adding a carpark on the vacant land across the road and the plan is shown in the image in the map above. I would just think the reason for the other carpark would be to provide more parking bays considering they are adding a hotel, TG and other stuff. So they will need more parking bays. I am also going to assume they will build more parking spaces with the hotel.

When did they announce that? Was there a press release/(social) media statement for it? It's for VRTP, like you said, without a doubt though - I've checked the plans out.

I think it's either to:

1. Provide more parking spaces for the expansions or,
  2. Rearrange the current car parks to fit expansions in.

The hotel will definitely have it's own car park (probably basement/undercover parking so guests get 'exclusive' parking) as the car park plans state:

The proposed parking station will operate 7 days a week (including public holidays) between the hours of 7:30am & 6:30pm, generally aligning with the theme park hours of operation. In addition, the applicant seeks approval for extended night time operations of the parking station for 15 nights each calender year. On these occasions, the car park operating hours will be extended until 11pm, to align with night time events held as part of the theme park operations.

So that car park is only for the purpose of MW (as all expansions apart from the rollercoaster have night time operations). I'll gather it is a new MW overflow car park.

At least this all explains why Gold Coast Bulletin reported that the hotel would be built on a MW car park.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
Added sentences about purpose of car park.

I'm assuming this hasn't been posted on Parkz but to add to the information about car park operating hours/purpose in my previous post, I believe I can confirm that the new car park is, in fact, a MW overflow car park as I found this quote in the plans:

Statement of landscape intent for Village Roadshow Them Parks - Overflow Carpark, Issue C, prepared by place design group dated May 2016

@Jamberoo Fan - at the risk of causing conflict, which I really don't want to do... clearly - as you can see - some of the others commenting have known about some of these things a lot longer than you have, and are clearly much more knowledgeable about them.

Maybe consider that before you need to 'stand corrected' again. It's really getting frustrating for you to make a prediction, only to be immediately shot down by someone that has actually read the threads and knows that what you're saying is incorrect.

Also - every time one of your 'scatter gun' predictions comes true, you don't need to quote it and point out how right you were. We know - because we've actually read the threads.

I do want to say though that you're putting a lot of thought, research, time and effort into your posts, and the well thought out concepts are a really enjoyable read. If only you took the time to read past posts first, I reckon you'd be bang on the money every time.

@Jamberoo Fan I think you might need to re-think your sources.  Nothing better then this site to get to the bottom of things.

Brad2912 broke the story in November last year.

On 20/11/2015 at 10:21 AM, Brad2912 said:

Village Roadshow to open “one of the world’s best” theme park attractions on the Coast

•  
Village Roadshow says the Gold Coast is about to get “one of the world’s best” theme park

Village Roadshow says the Gold Coast is about to get “one of the world’s best” theme park attractions.

Movie World. Picture: David Clark

Movie World. Picture: David Clark

“In the coming months, we will be announcing an exciting new attraction for the Gold Coast which we expect will be one of the world’s best theme park drawcards.”

(They also said they would announce it in the coming months and that was almost a year ago.)

djrappa knew all along but has the best poker face.

On 20/11/2015 at 10:46 AM, djrappa said:

I know and wish I could say but this one is a very tight lipped secret and my source is very official but has to be protected. 

I was shocked and blown away myself and I know you all will be too. Exciting times. 

This was discovered late November.

On 20/11/2015 at 2:16 PM, YLFATEEKS said:

Went to my trusty site and found this.

Property Name: MOVIE WORLD AND WET AND WILD
Property Number: 232692
RPD: LOT 6 SP118653
Division: DIVISION 2
Parish: BARROW
Area: 141606 m2

Application Number: BLD201513883
Description: ROLLER COASTER
Code: BUILDING
Class: MISCELLANEOUS COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
Work: CONSTRUCT
Lodged: 17/11/2015

It took Th GB till DEC 19 to publish anything and if you read the article the info came from this site.

In regards to the Hotel, nothing was in the financial docs this year so this could be years away.

The thing that is yet to reveal itself is why build a new car park off site that would coast loads more than upgrading the current overflow car park?  MW shows the new overflow car park will be a sealed car park with flashy gardens.  If the new car park goes ahead the council has said that MW will need to upgrade Kopps Road.  If MW are willing to spend that money on the new car park than why have we never seen the current overflow car park sealed and set out to maximise its area?  I don’t know the answers and maybe MW will have 2 overflow car parks.  Maybe MW have future plans for that area that we don’t even know about.  Maybe MW just wants to hold onto that land.

I always say when it comes to this stuff, I'm 99% wrong.  Things change constantly at the parks and somethings never go ahead.  All we can do is do a running commentary.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

Don't forget too that many of the documents lodged with council were done prior to some deadline before some sort of regulation or policy change - we speculated at the time that VR ltd had submitted all their 'potential' plans prior to that cut off to ensure more favourable treatment should they take the option to proceed.

Lodgment with council doesn't mean something will actually happen within any particular timeframe, although as i've mentioned earlier today, if they don't take the option (*usually within 2 years) then they need extensions, or need to resubmit.

I completely doubt VRTP will spend big bucks on theming hotels to either DC or LT. The only way I think it could work would be if they themed a few rooms. IE a superman room, LT room or so on. I think we will just see a new modern look hotel. The question will be is how fancy they want to make the hotel. Remember the more fancy often the higher the price for guest to stay in. Like a 3 star hotel is cheaper than a 5 star hotel.

I personally hope that they do NOT theme the hotel to anything outlandish.

2 hours ago, ash.1111 said:

I'm not a huge fan of heavily-themed hotels. Even the Disney ones. I would like an art deco-style hotel though.

My thoughts (especially since we're supposed to be "Hollywood on the Gold Coast") would be the Art-Deco style theme you see at Hong Kong Disneyland's Hollywood Hotel.

see if this link works to check it out!

edit: I think though that we will probably see something very similar to the design of Sea World Resort - rooms are clean, functional, with a subdued and understated colour scheme, but nothing more than that and a picture of a relevant topic on the wall... and i'm totally ok with that if it keeps the cost down and is a convenient place to stay on the coast for visiting the parks.

Edited by AlexB

A Monorail system might actual be a good idea for VRTP to build as a way to get guest around the property. Lets say you park at the new carpark across the road and head to MW first then latter decide to go to WNW for an hour then go to TG for dinner. Saves you either walking a long distance or moving your car loads of times.

• Richard changed the title to Topgolf Gold Coast Construction