Topgolf Gold Coast Construction

9 hours ago, AlexB said:

@Jamberoo Fan - at the risk of causing conflict, which I really don't want to do... clearly - as you can see - some of the others commenting have known about some of these things a lot longer than you have, and are clearly much more knowledgeable about them.

Maybe consider that before you need to 'stand corrected' again. It's really getting frustrating for you to make a prediction, only to be immediately shot down by someone that has actually read the threads and knows that what you're saying is incorrect.

Also - every time one of your 'scatter gun' predictions comes true, you don't need to quote it and point out how right you were. We know - because we've actually read the threads.

If only you took the time to read past posts first, I reckon you'd be bang on the money every time.

I know this all too well @AlexB (It's frustrating me too) but be honest, it is a lot of reading sometimes - I just don't have the time. I do look back at some previous pages of topics to check it hasn't been posted already. I also do use the search engine when I need it. And I'm not the type to point out how right I was (sorry, it looked that way). I will say though I might be a bit too confident regarding predictions as I've accurately predicted a lot of global events lately.

@YLFATEEKS, I'm well aware of all those sources you posted. I also forgot about those fence poles. I think we all assumed they were for TopGolf originally so when the rollercoaster began construction, I forgot about them. If a photo was posted with the fence completed, I'd probably have remembered it better.

7 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

The thing that is yet to reveal itself is why build a new car park off site that would coast loads more than upgrading the current overflow car park?  If MW are willing to spend that money on the new car park than why have we never seen the current overflow car park sealed and set out to maximise its area?  Maybe MW have future plans for that area that we don’t even know about.  Maybe MW just wants to hold onto that land.

I'll say MW kept the current overflow car park undeveloped just in case for future plans - it would be a waste of money to seal it only to remove it a few years later particularly for something that is only used during peak periods. It will probably remain undeveloped until the future plans come to fruition. The new car park looks designed as a replacement for the existing overflow car park and looks pretty permanent given firstly, it's not part of the main VRTP property and secondly, would be used more often (due to the future plans) than the current one.

LOL. We're never going to see a monorail all the way between Oxenford and Sea World. the tram will be more than adequate.

Seeing one on property though - linking WnW, PC, AOS, MW, TG, Hotel, Campground\Cabins would be desirable. And It would certainly serve to keep people on property - as Disney does - if they have a monorail to get all around the property, families flying in don't need to rent a car - which then ensures you keep them hanging around.

Not really sure if it belongs in here, or in the general movieworld threads, but since space, car parks and locations are being talked about here, I might as well post it here.

If it's not the site of the hotel, and If they are going to go ahead with the car park across the road, I reckon now would be the time to future proof the park to an extent by absorbing part of the existing car park and building out along the overflow grassed area. 

A few reasons, the grassed area is a lot bigger than it looks as there is more space to be cleared of scrub/trees before it reaches the creek. If they are required to upgrade the road (and most likely the roundabout), this would make sense.

Access in and out of the park is horrendous. With things continuing to be built, it is in need of multi access points. If you happen to go during peak periods it can sometimes take 90mins or more to arrive and park or to leave. Having one way traffic through the access ways is terrible for the flow. The current main gates also spill out on to the road way when busy, creating havoc for public transport, taxis, coaches, etc, so the whole access needs to be changed.

No doubt the existing facilities for staff could do with a major overhaul. Maintenance buildings, offices, storage, etc. These could easily be relocated and the fence line realigned, with services buildings now existing outside of the original park which could be freed up providing additional area for park usage and storage (which can easily be converted into ground space for new attractions, etc as the park continues to grow). People were talking about renovating kids wb area before? the whole area could be moved further back, bring over the intencity/dodgems arcade area and reposition it, freeing up more space around the villains hub.

The creek is only a minor issue that wouldn't even require building over the top of. Even with previous flooding, I can't see why you would need to alter its course or build over it. Leave it where it is and have it running through the newly aligned park. It won't be in areas visible to the general public. Just have an additional access way in/out bridged over it to provide park access for staff. If some of the reclaimed land from the car parks was to be utilised for more building space, it wouldn't take much to redirect the creek further towards the highway.

It would mean you could provide additional parking, fix the road access in and out of the park, provide additional space that could be utilised for expansion, and perhaps realign the main entrance gates to take advantage of the new park frontage.

If they go ahead with their entertainment precinct thing there was talk about last year, if there were ever any plans for another access way into the park it would make a lot of sense, but it would require MONUMENTAL amounts of capital to see it happen, so I'll humour some people with it. 

If anyone that has access to a high quality image wants to throw a few lines down over the top, What I was thinking would be to take the existing gates, move them across into the first rows of the carpark, but turn them at 60 degrees so they now face back towards the existing main entrance arch.

The position of the gates now establishes the new boundary line for the park. You loose maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the existing car park, but gain more spaces by building more parking out across the existing grassed area. The newly formed fence line and alignment of the car park forms the position of where to place park facilities. Move all the office buildings, storage and maintenance across using the wall much like it does now. Essentially it means you free up all these "back of house" areas for new possible development. A mixture of redevelopment and simply cleared area with no structures would be the result.

Some of the reclaimed space would form the newly developed WB kids with the existing junior driving school building and road runner coaster essentially forming the start of a new entrance to the zone. Everything in front of these buildings would be demolished and the space allocated for future projects. Move the intencity and dodgems building into the new kids area, with the development of new attractions to be placed within what is now existing offices, storage and maintenance buildings/areas. You could utilise the existing kids area for new developments, or utilise some of the back of house areas and essentially continue main street down into the kids area. If you utilised as little of the back of house area for redeveloping kids WB, it means you could set aside this entire area for future developments;possibly provide a new access point to this area from the main street fountain?

Keep the alignment of the existing entrance road, widen it to 3 lanes providing dual lanes of traffic turning left into the existing main entrance when entering from entertainment drive. The left turn is a serious bottle neck coming from the highway. The merge is terrible and it actually impacts on access to wet n wild.

Upgrade the existing section of entertainment road and realign the current intersection (that provides north bound highway access) back towards kopps road, providing dual lane entry/exit essentially running right into the middle of the newly aligned/created car park. This means people coming from the north service road will not have to travel to the highway underpass intersection to access the park and would provide scope for better transport access for public bus services into and out of the park, but also provide provisions for connecting the newly aligned carpark with the overflow talked about being created on the other side of kopps road.

A new service road entering across the creek on to kopps road could be created for park staff, deliveries, etc that no longer takes them past the main entrance, and when busy, could possibly be used as a 3rd exit from the car park to reduce congestion during events.

It's something that could be done in stages across a 10-15 year period, but I reckon it would probably be too expensive anyway. You could start with the additional parking and realignment of the gates/entrance, effectively being able to build the new areas while still providing existing park access through the current one. Could then start building new park facilities in the newly formed area and provide access on to kopps road, so that when the alignment of entertainment road changes you still have continued access into and out of the park, limiting disturbance/congestion.

Edited by Levithian

Did something quickly while eating lunch. It's obviously a bit rough, and of course spaces can be moved around a bit to maximise things like parking spaces, roads, etc, but something like this is what I was talking about. It would probably still work if you were to build a hotel in front, but it would obviously require multi level parking to provide enough for the park and the hotel guests, etc. Black is the change in boundary/fence for actual park use, the white being addition of the new service areas (in hindsight, I should have done this in reverse).

dreaming.jpg

Edited by Levithian

Thanks @Levithian - gave me a few ideas too - mine are a little different to yours, and i've only factored in park expansion so haven't allowed for hotel, new carpark or carpark rerouting.

Ok - so you'll see i've moved the maintenance buildings out to the middle of the carpark.

The black area is the overall park boundary, and then on top of that i've overlaid:

• Disneyland Main Street. (obviously not to scale) but I envisage a promenade leading to the fountain, with facades, or shops, perhaps even some attractions space permitting (and obviously no buildings or facades could take part of GL because of its proximity to the entrance way. This leads out to approximately the second row of parking, as you suggested.
  • Yellow section is an expanded WB Kids area, with room for more kid friendly attractions, effectively doubling the size of that area.
  • Red section - I have two ideas here - either the red section becomes a new 'show stage' building - providing a stage area for entertainment similar to what LT village had before RRRC was built. (Yes, there used to be a stage in LT Village) - except it would be enclosed, as the showstage currently is. This would then free up showstage for development and expansion, and place a multi purpose entertainment building within easy reach of a park boundary, should the venue be hired or used separately for night events.
  • Alternative Red section - use this space for construction of another soundstage \ shed, thereby releasing the old LTRR building half that is currently used for storage to be utilised as the above entertainment venue, although without as many positives.
  • Blue section - an expanded DC heroes area, where some of the 'lesser known' heroes and their sidekicks get smaller flat ride attractions in the shadow of Green Lantern
  • Green Section - a new themed land - with easy access direct from main street as an alternative route to WB Kids, therefore providing more than one way around the park - adding to the 'occasional' shortcut opened up through the old Chinatown Alley. I have no suggestions for theme, but i'm sure VR has plenty to choose from. Potentially this area, being front of the park, could also have a separate entrance, and the ability to easily close it off from the rest of the park for a night-time entertainment precinct including restaurants etc - conveniently placed close to the prep kitchens behind Stars Cafe for easy access.
  • The carpark entranceway would have to reroute - instead of coming down to the park boundary, it would turn right almost immediately after crossing under the 'road facing WB sign' above the driveway. A new main arterial road would run through the middle, with left lane traffic taking parking on the left side and right lane traffic turning right or continuing straigh on to the far end. I see the hotel potentially in front of the green section, or over on the grass, with carparking out onto the grassy area expanding as needed.

MW expansion.png

Its rough, but its a nice idea. thanks for sharing @Levithian

Yeah. I figured anything that even has a slight hope of being utilised is going to have to fix both the parking/access problems and provide more land for them to utilise for the park.

I actually toyed with the idea of making a brand new entrance that splits green lantern and the new, unnamed coaster. You know the existing bridged access road and security building? take it in through there and position it right so you now walk in through the big gates that are between justice league and green lantern queue. That would be pretty cool, but I thought that, ultimately, the grand entrance and fountain wouldn't be grand enough and it would cut off another access way to the park which might still be used.

Green area is good, you'd probably have to build over the creek like you would with a shopping center, so underneath is effectively left as a flood plain with the creek passing through. Only problem with building coasters along the front of your park is you want them for WOW factor, like when you are driving down them as you come in. So I reckon you would still have to make use of the alignment of those coasters in your entrance some how.

If you still took my idea of moving the facilities into the car park, another idea I thought could have been pretty cool and MAY have worked was to use the same junior driving school building and road runner as the start of the kids area, then everything new for the kids area being built behind that where basically the maintenance buildings are already. Imagine drawing triangle shaped area starting with a line from the end of road runner, across junior driving school to the fence, then drawing another from road runner, through the admin/offices building to the fence line. Everything between those lines forms the new kids area.

Everything else in the existing kids area, right up to those retail places opposite the chocolate factory, across to the back of roxy, and all the buildings across the fence line, the offices and right up to stars cafe is knocked down.

This could be used as an in park location for your hotel/new entertainment precinct. Entrance of it spilling out into the new parking areas obviously. So you could have outside access next to your entrance to the park, your in park areas below the hotel itself and the park entrance spills out along a new facade that continues the height of the main street around to the kids area. Im not sure what you would put in an after hours precinct, I imagine new food and retail options would be a big start, a function space? I don't think they were planning a huge hotel though are they? maybe 3 or 4 floors? few hundred rooms at maximum? You could easily build it above the precinct and tie it into the park, but be able to close off the park entrance at night. Given the length, the precinct could follow the existing park wall, stretching from an entrance off main street near the fountain, all the way back to about where the existing kids WB arch is. Build your hotel on top out over into some of the reclaimed area and not have to worry about the creek.

dreaming2.jpg

Edited by Levithian

Problem is where? plus you need offices, storage for food and drink stuff, and all your maintenance type stuff close by in the park somewhere because they are the ones doing the most running around. In the case of the food stuff, I imagine as close to the kitchens as possible. Same with the offices and admin building. Probably want it somewhere clean and fresh looking at the front of the park for when vip's, guests, etc arrive.

2 hours ago, Levithian said:

Problem is where? plus you need offices, storage for food and drink stuff, and all your maintenance type stuff close by in the park somewhere because they are the ones doing the most running around. In the case of the food stuff, I imagine as close to the kitchens as possible. Same with the offices and admin building. Probably want it somewhere clean and fresh looking at the front of the park for when vip's, guests, etc arrive.

I think where @Tim Dasco means is out here. I'm pretty sure Maintainence and Sculpture Studios are already back there, and there's a fair bit of land still there. I'd say if MW were ever going to expand their park (in the far future), I think that's where they would go, so relocating offices to back there could definitely work. Plus, you've also got the trees across the Paradise Country road that could easily be cleared for an expansion too.

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 6.50.48 PM.png

Edited by Santa07

It's correct that the biggest issue for the park is access. 

Even if you don't move BOH, a new access from Kopps road for service vehicles and staff would greatly improve flow so that you don't have the road between the gates and car park and you don't have service vehicles using the main guest entrance. 

As for BOH, anyone familiar with those areas knows what a nightmare they are in layout. Basically 25 years of hodge page grab for space. 

If it's one thing the place needs it's much more office space. I would leave administration where it is, however demolish the back half which is warehouse and entertainment rehearsal space and put in a multi level building there and consolidate ALL the parks admin (which is current spread all over the property) to there. 

Move the staff dining area into behind the Roxy, basically taking over wardrobe and food and beverage offices. 

Move entertainment green rooms, costuming and rehearsal space into a new building where maintenance currently is. 

Then push the kids area all the way over against the admin building almost and back against ricks. 

The existing boh road would move to the eastern side of admin. 

This gives you heaps of space for the kids area, lets Sam's share the Ricks kitchen as if would be moved back against there, and let's you take back over the half of Tunes building for another immersive attraction, possibly simulator or the like. 

Then you build a big ass maintenance facility out behind Wild West that also includes increased Food and Bev warehouse and parade storage. Like a really big facility. 

All of this includes new access roads suitable for large vehicles. 

You would also re do parade route access so you can do a one way parade through the park and out the other side and link back to the parade storage building. 

All ll this involves a lot to land clearing and leveling and would cost 10s of millions of dollars. 

But if you're talking how to do it right, this would be my plan. 

9 hours ago, Levithian said:

People were talking about renovating kids wb area before? the whole area could be moved further back, bring over the intencity/dodgems arcade area and reposition it, freeing up more space around the villains hub.

This would be a good idea though Kids’ WB! Fun Zone once had a dodgem cars (Taz's Hollywood Cars) which only recently got removed for a new purpose. They could bring it back bigger and better than ever in a new location within the Zone though?

Keep the alignment of the existing entrance road, widen it to 3 lanes providing dual lanes of traffic turning left into the existing main entrance when entering from entertainment drive. 

This gave me an idea for MW's main entrance/exit roads - convert them into dual purpose roads. Until 1:30pm, have 75% of the lanes allowing inbound traffic then after 1:30pm, have 75% of the lanes take outbound traffic (1:30pm being the halfway point between 10am & 5pm). This can't be done with painted arrows (like the current MW car park) - it would need to be done with a traffic lighting system that utilises arrows above the roadway (like on the Sydney Harbour Bridge). It also need to work in conjunction with the Entertainment Road intersections' traffic lights.

...essentially continue main street down into the kids area...

I think this is already the case as Main Street branches down into the Kids’ WB! Fun Zone much like how it branches down towards SDSC. Unless you're talking about a entire new street, then it would need a different name so visitors don't get confused.

7 hours ago, Levithian said:

I don't think they were planning a huge hotel though are they? maybe 3 or 4 floors?

I believe the current rumours are of a 9 floor hotel.

A few people spoke of the possibility of a future 2nd MW entrance - keep this in mind: When MW was originally designed, Main Street was the focus so when you entered the park & turned right you entered the 'movie set'. What everyone suggested is fine but MW would have to ensure Main Street remains what it is meant to be - the 'main' street of the park. The Grand Archway can simply be duplicated - all that is needed is room for a 2nd Fountain Of Fame which includes stars on the ground for more modern Hollywood actors/actresses etc.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

yeah, it continues down in as much as it is a street, but once you turn towards kids WB, the building facades end. I was talking about more continuing the 2 or 3 story frontage, especially if you were to build a multi purpose area, so you'd want to maximise the space by building up.

I don't think there is much space behind west at all anymore. not since those sheds for fright night went in. Walking around on frightnight, it looks like it runs pretty much right up towards fencing, with some containers and what looks like a road behind them. Not sure where you would build a big warehouse that incorporates maintenance, food and bev and storage. Those areas by themselves already take up a very large foot print, anything new would need to be an improvement providing bigger space, not just condense it into one.

Edited by Levithian

29 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Think dj is referring to this area

image.jpeg

That's where the dam is I was talking about. You can see it from the road driving in. See the one on the left? there is one equally as big on the right, it's just hidden by the trees in your photo.

25 minutes ago, joz said:

Nah there's a road from roughly where the Thor set is that goes to WWF.  To say it's an under-utilised area is putting it very mildly.

Isn't that where what looks like the grounds and gardening people are? I've only been to paradise country a couple of times recently, but aside from looking a bit like a dumping ground for stuff from the park, it looks like there are vehicles like trucks and loaders, plus stuff like soil and gravel the area? doesn't really look like it's not being used even if it is messy.

Regardless, its AGES away from anything resembling kitchens and stuff. The people who cover the most ground around the park have got to have something at least resembling a central location for ease of access. Never mind what do you do with the staff parking now that everyone is up the back? thats a LONG way from the car park to walk. I could see maybe maintenance being up there, but not warehouse space for other departments too.

53 minutes ago, Levithian said:

That's where the dam is I was talking about. You can see it from the road driving in. See the one on the left? there is one equally as big on the right, it's just hidden by the trees in your photo

I don't recall ever seeing it, though It is a flood way though, maybe you drove past after some substantial rain..

• Richard changed the title to Topgolf Gold Coast Construction