Topgolf Gold Coast Construction

• 4 weeks later...

Channel 7 just had the Parking lot plans on the news, suggesting the Residents are upset and coining the term 'paved paradise to put up a parking lot'.. 

- Hardly Paradise, it looks like a pretty ordinary block to me? At least MW intend to make practical use of the Space.

Edited by MickeyD

I'm not sure what the land in question is technically classed as at the moment, but I live next to a large piece of land that is used as a makeshift park (as it is situated next to a waterway/dog track) and is owned by the government.

I'm not sure what the Kopps Rd block would be classed as, or what the outlook is like, but a lot of properties around here make great use of our makeshift park and have their backyards 'open' to enjoy the views.

If the Kopps Rd location is currently operating as a park or community space, I can definitely see where the residents are coming from. If it is private land or is not being used as community space, I think they shouldn't stand in the way of progress, barring any objections from noise/light/traffic perspectives.

Either way, as a theme park enthusiast, I am excited about the proposed development.

2 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Only downside I can see for that hotel placement is noise issues,  being situated right next to the M1. I can only assume that their building plans will include a lot of soundproofing lol

The QLD Government could just put sound barriers along the M1 if there is none already there.

1 hour ago, ash.1111 said:

I'm not sure what the land in question is technically classed as at the moment

Here is the zoning (green = open space, pink with red stripes = light density residential - large lot precinct):

Zone.jpg

The dotted blue line is the lot border.

1 hour ago, ash.1111 said:

If it is private land or is not being used as community space, I think they shouldn't stand in the way of progress, barring any objections from noise/light/traffic perspectives.

VRTP owns the land but who knows how the community sees the land as. I think traffic issues are going to be the most divisive issue regarding the car park.

10 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

The QLD Government could just put sound barriers along the M1 if there is none already there.

Well the government wouldn't pay for it, it would be MW/VRTP's cost - the government benefits nothing from installing sound barriers. 

The issue though is that the M1 at the point where it passes MW is an overpass over the Helensvale Rd/Entertainment Dr intersection, as well as the onramp Northbound. Whilst sound barriers are possible in this scenario, they'd look hideous from Enterainment Rd, and remove the sight lines to the park from the M1

Thanks for that @Jamberoo Fan. While sucky for the residents, if VRTP do indeed own the land then the residents should not be surprised that the park wants to make use of their land.

In terms of noise from the M1, I was recently looking at some LA hotels and one hotel was literally RIGHT NEXT TO an elevated highway. Probably 50m back. A lot closer than Movie World's hotel would ever be. I'm not sure what market they're going to try and capture, but I wouldn't imagine noise from that distance would be overly hard to overcome with some good sound insulation inside. After all, I've stayed at the Hilton LAX plenty of times and the noises from the runways are much worse than the M1, IMO. Plus pretty much any CBD hotel has a similar problem (if not worse, seeing as highways are a more constant background hum).

48 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

True - VRTP/MW would very likely have to pay for sound barriers. If the hotel is 9 storeys (as rumoured), that alone would be blocking the sight lines to the park so installing sound barriers behind the hotel next to the M1 would be no problem.

Unless the hotel is 300m wide, it won't be blocking the sight lines. I wouldn't be surprised to see the hotel purposely built in the northern most area of the grass (closest to Kopps rd) to ensure sight line visibility is minimised 

I've stayed at a hotel in Singapore which was literally beside a major arterial highway. Noisy AF sitting out on the balcony, but surprisingly, good quality glass window\doors were all that was needed to mute the sound.

Given the setback from the highway, I doubt noise is going to be a major factor.

The residence is starting to lodge the applications submissions to the car park.  While I do understand that most people would not want to have a house next to a car park.  Most of the submissions from the local residence will not even be shown to the people that make the decisions.  If a resident was that upset about the proposal you would think that residence would take the time to read the proposal.  Anyway, most of these resident submissions never make it because it must be in relation to the city plan and not just I don’t like it.

The applications submission period is just not for people who don’t want it to go ahead.  You can also make your own submission supporting the car park.

William Owen-Jones Division 2, Gold Coast

7 News Gold Coast ran this story last night regarding the application by the owners of "MovieWorld", VRS Holdings for 731 carpark on the 3.2 hectares of land that they own on Kopps Road (with frontage to California Drive and Michigan Way, Oxenford).

Please note that the property is not a Reserve. The property is freehold land that I understand has been owned by VRS since the theme park was originally established. It is currently zoned residential, and is mowed and maintained by VRS Holdings (not the City).

There are approximatley 40-50 mature trees on the property and it is proposed that most would be removed (however, landscaping plans have also submitted by the applicant).

As the proposed use is neither a contemplated "Self Assessable" or a "Code Assessable" land use under the City Plan, the Application triggers a higher level of assessment called a "Material Change of Use".

There is no ability for the City to simply refuse an Application, as each application needs to be assessed on its merits against acceptable solutions that may be advanced to mitigate impacts.

However, a Material Change of Use does provide residents, and other interested parties, until the 28th November 2016 to make submissions, either in support or otherwise for the application (and yes as a major employer in the City, with over 1,000+ staff 'MovieWorld' also has a lot of residents in the area who may well be supportive of their growth plans).

All submissions/comments will be reviewed by City Officers in making their recommendations, and the application will ultimately be assessed against the City Plan.

Accordingly, it is very important that residents who are unhappy with the proposal make their submissions on town planning grounds.

Some of the applications that I have cut & pasted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“WE DO NOT AGREE ON THIS APPLICATION MCU201600948 & PN232620/13/DA1 LEAVE THIS AREA AS IT

STILL STANDS.

DO NOT BUILD DO NOT BUILD DO NOT BUILD DO NOT BUILD”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It will be chaotic in this area”

“I am writing to complain re the proposed parking lot to be built by movie world this is not something the

residents going on Kopps rd or Michigan rd can have , the traffic is horrendous as it is and the roundabout

can not afford any more traffic either . We will protest this as far as we can , we will go to any tv stations

or protest out the front of movie world what ever it takes for this stupid, ridiculous ,idea to be stopped.

Its unfair to the residents of this area we already have to deal with noise from the park , what an eye sore

also. There is land near the other car park they have , use that or purchase it if not their land instead of

incroaching on residents private homes. Why should we be subject to more traffic and noise we vote for

councilors to look out for us so how about doing your job and helping out the little people for a change,

instead of the big companies with loads of money. This is unfair and unjust there will be a lot of angry,

unhappy residents if this is not stopped. I hope common sense will see this ended.

regards a very very very very very very angry Oxenford resident@ Hopman court.”

This is the link if you want to have a look for yourself.

http://pdonline.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/masterview/modules/applicationmaster/default.aspx?page=wrapper&key=233422#

Edited by YLFATEEKS

Oh god. The Stupid. It Hurts.

1 hour ago, YLFATEEKS said:
Some of the applications that I have cut & pasted.

“NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY MCU201600948 & PN232620/13/DA1 NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY .

NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY" ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY" ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I am writing to complain re the proposed parking lot to be built by movie world NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY ,NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY . NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY ,NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY ,NIMBY ,NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY .

NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY .NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY .NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY ,NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY .NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY ,NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY .NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY .NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY NIMBY @NIMBY NIMBY ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to this, it is interesting the Energex response that is being had.

For those who don't want to go looking, Energex raised concerns about the carpark because they have existing infrastructure both overhead and below ground. They've asked questions over what arrangements VRS has made to accommodate their lines, and offered options for VRS to pay for things like relocation, and survey\study of certain impacts.

VRS basically responded with "your shit isn't in the easement where it's supposed to be, so it's your fucking problem Jack."

I must admit, I lol'd.

It's all a good laugh.  I like this person below.  I never knew the stunt show ran too 11 at night. I did a bit of research and this person brought their house in 2012.  MW purchased the piece of land in 1990.  I also look at the properties that will be directly affected and 3 out of the 4 were purchased last year.

I do understand why they think they don’t want it built but I find it hard to empathise with them knowing most of them have purchased their homes in the last 5 years and they should have checked who owned the block of land and not assumed it was public land.

A few of the applications questions have already answered in the MCU for the car park.

1.     Council has already outlined in their information request that MW will be required to upgrade the road out the front of the car park to take the load of the extra traffic. (this is normal practise and MW would already have assumed this).

2.       Council directed MW the car park needs to be secure when it’s not open so people won’t loiter in it.

3.       Council asked for clarification on how people will get from the car park to MW without interacting with traffic.

“PAVING PARADISE TO PUT UP A PARKING LOT-

A carpark should not be built n this primary residential area. It is not fair to the existing residents. This will have a major impact to the residents of oxenford, in regards to traffic, noise and an influx of tourists in our local community. It will have an immediate impact to the value of houses. Movieworld already impacts the residents living in Oxenford in so many ways. We already have to tolerate the immense amount of noise from the stunt shows, (untill 11pm at night) rides, tourists and their PA system that can clearly be heard from my residence. Not tomention the horrific traffic that creates chaos within oxenford and access roads to the highway, that this carpark will obviously add too. We want to keep our community quiet, peaceful and keep traffic minimal - this is why people move to Oxenford. I strongly oppose this carpark.”

The one problem for the residence is they might want to be careful on what they wish for.  If MW are not allowed to develop this land, then MW are likely to sell this land because there would be no reason to hold onto it and continue to pay rates for it. 

The likely purchasers of the land would be a developer.  What would a developer do? I can only guess but this prime land.  I believe it’s would most likely end up with a hundred units on it.  I know me personally I would prefer and overflow car park then 100 2 storey units looking over my back fence. 

Edited by YLFATEEKS

Whilst I understand some concerns of the residents, I think they are forgetting that it is an overflow car park so it wouldn't be used for nearly 2/3 of the year but if their campaign keeps up, MW might need to 'announce' their intentions (i.e. the hotel) for the existing grass overflow car park so as to show them their need for the Kopps Road land.

43 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

I never knew the stunt show ran too 11 at night

I read it like that too but they did put the comma in front of the bracket so despite it not being written the best, I think they meant the rides until 11pm and given Fright Nights is very recent & operates until 11pm I believe, it probably was that they were referring to as it's likely to be fresh in their memory but still those late night events only occur for a total of about 3 weeks per year I believe? If you live there for 5 years, you'd think they would know MW closes normally at 5pm.

Sorry ladies and gentleman but this will be my last one, I promise.  These keep rolling in and they make me laugh a bit.  This is all that was submitted.

"The grass area floods after heavy rain, has that been considered?"

I’m still working out why so many people are worried about the extra traffic.  They are adding 770 car parks and taking a bigger overflow area away.  I doubt there would be more than an extra 100 car parks in the end.  One other thing to note is by splitting the car park up we end up with an extra exit and entrance.  I am no traffic expert but I would think at the end of a fright night having 2 exits would remove the traffic out of the area more quickly.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

I'm not a town planner so I don't know which way it will go.  My local member who is on the planning committee said that this project will be voted on by the council.  The town planners will access the application and give their recommendations to council. 

The town planners will only look at the application from the point of view of the land changing from residential to a car park.  The council know the other projects that MW are working on so the hotel & TopGolf will come into consideration when council vote.  We know some members from council members have been talking up what is coming to MW.

• Richard changed the title to Topgolf Gold Coast Construction