Topgolf Gold Coast Construction

Gold Coast city planning committee meet again next Wednesday.  No agenda has come out for the meeting yet but we should see one soon.  If the Car Park is not on the agenda, it will be another 3 weeks before this committee meet again.  The committee meetings are not broadcasted so it will take a couple of days before the committee notes will be available to the public.  The notes will indicate which way the council should vote at the next council meeting.

• 2 weeks later...

An update to the car park which has a bearing on the hotel.

In regards to the application for parking station City Officers did not bring a recommendation before the City Planning Committee, on the 15th March 2017 as we had originally expected they would.

Officers had however advised the Applicant that the recommendation was to be a Refusal (on town planning grounds) and I had also met with the Applicant, and their consultants.

We had a frank discussion regarding the key planning issues and concerns that had been raised by the Oxenford community during the public submission period.

The Applicant subsequently elected to not extend the decision making period, and yesterday, they advised they have instead chosen to commence a court process regarding a ‘deemed refusal’ of the application.

Whilst it remains early days in regards to the legal process, I fully expect that the City will maintain its position that the Application is inappropriate development for the lot and contrary to the planning scheme.

In short G.C.C.C. has refused the application for a new car park and MW will be taking the council to court.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

@joz Apparently, a car park of that size has never been built in a residential zone on the Gold Coast before and they don't want MW to be the first.

This is what the local member said about it.

“there were over 150 submissions. Traffic, zoning and amenity were the key planning issues at the start, and the key planning issues at the end.

There is no other example in the City of a landowner in a residential zone that is operating a 3-hectare car parking station.”

Edited by YLFATEEKS

Ha that's a laugh. 

My here is also no other example in the city of a landowner operating 3 major theme parks and being the city's second largest employer. 

The fact that is a 'residential' zone is a joke in the first place given the theme park owns the land as was here before the residential area. So if anything the residents should be in a 'theme park' zone. 

We are of course talking about the same community (Gold Coast) that wants to be a world class tourist destination but votes down any sort of progress or development of such. 

It is déjà vu but I think this is beyond stupid.  When DW and MW were built, it was in the middle of nowhere.  You would go up the lift hill on the thunderbolt and see nothing for miles.  They have allowed people to build closer and closer to the theme parks.  Most of the economy on the Gold Coast is tourism. Without tourist, the Gold Coast will die very quickly.  The government have forgotten this. 

The consequences if Luna Park closed is nothing compared what would happen to the Gold Coast if DW & MW closed.

After all the people made their submissions regarding the application for a car park MW replied to them.  This has just become public.

If you want to read the whole document, you can go to PDonline.  It’s the last document.  I have copy & pasted the key point that the report made.

The thing that keeps going through my head is did MW do enough to inform the local residence.  I say this because if I go on Facebook where the residents are talking about the car park nobody seems to know that it was an overflow car park.

In the end G.C.C.C. received 143 properly made submissions.

A review of the properly made submissions has been undertaken to ascertain key

matters raised. This revealed that the following three key themes common across the submissions

Traffic and transport;

Town planning; and

Other matters (i.e. nuisance from lighting, noise and other site specific issues).

This is MW responses-

It is important to distinguish that the car park is only intended to provide overflow parking for guests and staff.

The operational need for the overflow car parking is likely only to be triggered on peak theme park visitation days, which generally occur during school holiday periods, public holidays and weekends. Importantly, peak carpark operation is unlikely to occur during the background traffic AM peak period. The intent to onlyoperate the car park on peak theme park visitation days, in part, addresses many of the matters raised by submitter.

The site does not have exhibit the character values ordinarily associated a low density residential area because of the dominance of physical infrastructure on and adjoining the site, including high voltage power lines, water pipelines, an electricity substation and the Pacific Motorway. Accordingly, the site is considered unsuitable for a residential development outcome.

The proposed development will provide a positive contribution to the orderly development of the locality. The noise mitigation and landscaping treatments will provide an effective buffer between the dominant physical infrastructure and nearby sensitive residential uses.

As noted within the Applicant’s Information Request Response, several options to provide convenient and safe pedestrian access for theme park guests and staff have been considered. The most direct link would be to provide a dedicated pedestrian footpath across Saltwater Creek to the theme park entrance.

We confirm that the Applicant would be prepared to submit to a reasonable and relevant condition of approval requiring that safe and efficient pedestrian access be provided between the car park and the theme park entrance, prior to the commencement of the use.

The development incorporates the recommendations of the submitted Noise Assessment, by proposing a 1.8-metre-high acoustic fence, where adjoining sensitive uses.

The strategic retention of existing vegetation within the development and the proposed landscaping ensures the proposed development will protect and enhance visual amenity outcomes. A minimum five (5) metre vegetated buffer is proposed where the parking station adjoins sensitive land uses to provide ascreened buffer to the development.

The proposed landscaping will allow the development to act as a buffer between adjoining sensitive uses and dominant physical infrastructure in the immediate surrounding locality. This will reduce the visual dominance of the physical infrastructure, thereby improving the visual amenity and character of thelocality.

The proposed parking station will be managed by Village Roadshow Theme Parks as part of their broader theme park operations at Oxenford. The site will be monitored by security staff who can take appropriate action should any anti-social behaviour be observed.

Access to the proposed parking station will be restricted so that vehicles are unable to enter outside of the permitted operating hours.

As detailed in the Car Park Management Plan and Operational Guideline (refer to

Appendix B), temporary lighting will be installed with the car park used for night time operations. Temporary lighting is considered appropriate given the limited night time operations proposed.

The Car Park Management Plan and Operational Guideline (refer to Appendix B) requires all temporary lighting to be positioned and shielded to prevent light spillage outside the boundaries of the premises to comply with AS4282-1997 –

Control of Obtrusive Effects of Outdoor Light in.

The perceived concerns that the proposed development will result in a reduction in surrounding property values is not a consideration relevant to the assessment of the proposed development against the regulatory planning framework.

The proposed development has sought to ensure that the damage to existing onsite vegetation has been minimised to the greatest extent possible.

The submitted Basic Ecological Site Assessment Report prepared by New Ground Environmental concluded that the proposed development will nothave a significant impact on the ability of the site to act as a corridor, given the existing disturbance and the physical barriers to fauna connectivity in the immediate surrounding locality.

The presence of physical infrastructure on the site itself and within the immediate surrounding locality (including electricity power lines, a substation, local roadsand the Pacific Motorway) already creates significant air pollution in the local area.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

well, that was a thoroughly exciting read.

I really do hope they win on appeal, as i think its sorely needed and everyone taking the NIMBY approach really is a numpty.

But, i'm cynical enough to think that when i read 'only expected to be used for absolute peak periods' and that they only plan to use it for a few weeks of the year at most, my thoughts go - sure, for the first year maybe, but once it's built, who is going to stop them expanding its opening times?

Worth also noting on the Movieworld precinct lot, that 'Dan the Tree Man' has applied for tree works:

Application Number: OPW201700772
Description:
Code: OPERATIONAL WORKS
Class: TREE WORKS PRIVATE
Work:
Lodged: 23/03/2017

The trees are located on the current grassed area at the front of the park used occasionally as overflow parking, and the application is to lop the tree back, potentially to topiary the tree.

Nothing majorly exciting, but i thought worth a mention in case someone knee jerks on a tree lopper being evidence of hotel construction or the like.

• Richard changed the title to Topgolf Gold Coast Construction