Topgolf Gold Coast Construction

On 12/06/2017 at 8:10 AM, AlexB said:

I think the carpark was a necessary pre-condition to hotel construction. I think given the stall on that particular issue, we won't see updates on the hotel until they work their way around the parking issues.

I'm still keen on a multi level carpark that won't obstruct vision of the hotel and park from Entertainment Rd. Maybe built underneath the current carpark that could be turned into citywalk styled dining/entertainment.

The MW car park finally faced a council meeting yesterday.  The local member for that area has provided an update for the residences of the Oxenford area.

Update - Kopps Road, Oxenford

At yesterdays Council meeting, the City of Gold Coast formally made the decision to refuse the application for a substantial car park for the 3.4 hectare site on Kopps Road owned by "Movieworld".

The grounds for refusal were presented by the City Planners, who had carefully assessed the material provided by the applicant (as well as the submitters) and multiple grounds for refusal were identified.

These grounds were incorporated, by the City Planning Committee, into the recommendation for refusal.

The matter is currently on appeal in the Land & Environment Court and there is a phalanx of expensive lawyers involved. Accordingly, the body of the officers report included in the City Planning Committees agenda papers needs to remain confidential (and I also need to be careful in making public comments).

Finally, please be aware that through the legal process the Applicant has rights.

This includes the ability to seek to mitigate the identified town planning issues, that were grounds for refusal, by working up 'acceptable solutions'.

Solutions that an Officer of the Court may determine could be made into conditions of approval that are both 'relevant and reasonable'.

Oh bugger. A victory for the neighbourhood locals of the park, but not one for poor Movie World :( I hope they manage to turn things around in their appeal.

Personally I can't see what the big deal is, assuming that it's due to concerns over noise issues. Speaking as someone who has previously lived in a unit off a very busy (and fairly noisy) main surburban street for many years, the road noise there became background noise to me after a while, didn't even notice it anymore.

These peeps already live practically next to a major motorway, so you'd think it would be the same situation. Most of the cars using the proposed carpark would remain stationary for most of the day, anyway? I mean its just a carpark, not an application for a new M1 exit into their neighbourhood.

Really don't get it :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reading back over some Topgolf releases...

https://topgolf.com/us/company/press-room/press-releases/2016/topgolf-expands-global-community-with-deal-for-australian-venues/

"Construction will begin on the first venue within the next few months with an opening scheduled for mid- to late 2017." - Guess not...

"Village Roadshow intends to open eight Topgolf venues throughout Australia during the next eight years. Topgolf and Village Roadshow are in conversation regarding joint venue opportunities in other Asian markets." - Eight venues in eight years...  And they are behind construction with the first one :P 

Out of curiosity...  Does anyone know if Topgolf has some sort of ball returning system or if they have to be manually collected?  Can't find anything on the subject.

2 hours ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

Out of curiosity...  Does anyone know if Topgolf has some sort of ball returning system or if they have to be manually collected?  Can't find anything on the subject.

I think it was noted a few pages back that its the same system putt putt and mini golf use on the last holes. That is pvc pipe and a central box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, themagician said:

Just a quick update:

The building is currently having its final slab installed, and work is about to begin for the installation for the targets 

Hey mate, created an account specifically to keep tabs on TopGolf and came across your username through my google-fu. Appreciate all the photos and effort you put into this forum.  

Have you got any new pics or able to link some? I've never visited Movie World or any of the theme parks on the GC and TG is going to be the reason I get over there.

Hey Balls,

you'll find people will update photos as soon as possible after taking them, so generally if there is no updated pics or posts it's because no one has got out there for an update since the last time, or there is little or no progress worth updating 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While on GL  yesterday the TopGolf site could be seen and it appears that the majority of the target holes have been dug, and had what appear to be sheets of metal installed.

Just googled Top Golf construction and this is an example from overseas of what I saw

Bu2kgoqCcAAR_DV-1.thumb.jpg.91e6109f5d423489e0968484606d465d.jpg

Edited by themagician
Photo Added
  • Like 1

• Richard changed the title to Topgolf Gold Coast Construction