Dreamworld Memorial & Reopening discussion

JaggedJanine

6 minutes ago, Slick said:

A lot nicer then a green wall of nothingness, I think.

Personally I think those grassy hills should have some really nice gardens built into them just like Disneyland in Anaheim. Also, perhaps while they're at it, can they finally blend that cream wall in with the rest of the building (the one that's smack bang in the middle of the front entrance building.) Quite possibly one of the most average first impressions i've encountered for a theme park.

And while i'm ranting... the next step for the big globe inside the park should be for them to drill in some LED's / fibre-optic lines into the countries so at night that capital cities sparkle like I would in real life.

Does Dreamworld open late enough often enough to warrant that cost? 

What could they put in the garden to make it photo worthy? Disney obviously has Mickey, anything fancy you'd want to see for Dreamworld?

The green wall may not have been ideal, but to me it looks like something I'd expect to come across in an ESL country, rather than Australia. 

I just edited the post with some more meat in it which explains that it's definitely worth the cost overall (would've edited it while you were writing the response.)

Dreamworld's always had some gorgeous flower gardens, I don't think it's a stretch to see them expand on that and just do something nice and fresh. It's something that would easily become a staple design point of the front entrance if done right. They could do amazing seasonal gardens just like the Disney parks that people would add a unique touch their first point of contact with the park.

1 hour ago, Slick said:

And while i'm ranting... the next step for the big globe inside the park should be for them to drill in some LED's / fibre-optic lines into the countries so at night that capital cities sparkle like I would in real life. 

Those capital cities have their work cut out for themselves. ?

Doesn't movie world have some sort of hedge out the front, cut into the name of 'movie world' ? I'm almost certain I remember seeing that.

I think i'd prefer, rather than Dreamworld doing their name, would be just a nice classy yet iconic image - nothing too detailed as it would cause hell to keep flowers and such in the right colours year round, but something - even if it were just a kangaroo shape.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/dreamworld-ordered-to-upgrade-maintenance-standards-on-rollercoaster/news-story/a9d038c2a293337d1e58f6a6ec04db9b

Dreamworld has been ordered to upgrade safety and maintenance standards on one of its popular roller-coasters, after government inspectors found three serious faults with the BuzzSaw rollercoaster.

Dreamworld’s chief executive Craig Davidson confirmed eight “improvement notices” had been issued to the park over minor matters, but three “prohibition notices” had also been ordered.

WHSQ defines prohibition notices as requiring immediate action.

Three prohibition notices related to the BuzzSaw ride, including a concern with “maintenance safety harness anchor points on the BuzzSaw”, a “maintenance procedure error” relating to a safety chain on the same ride, and a requirement to add an extra “interlock gate” for the operator’s control booth for the ride.

Mr Davidson said all WHSQ notices would be addressed before WhiteWater World and Dreamworld reopened.

The media is taking 2 angles to this - one angle (so far from News Corporation publications) is by sensationalising the Buzzsaw prohibition notices to make DW sound dangerous to guests whilst the other angle (so far from media outlets like 9 News, Fairfax Media & Yahoo7) is that DW got the 'all clear' because guest safety was perfect (despite non-guest safety issues being found).

Also, some media outlets are reporting 11 notices while some are reporting 10. Don't know where the discrepancy came from (unless it's just me?) given DW issued an official statement so if someone finds the official statement, can they clarify the number of notices?

2 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

How many improvement notifications is too many?   

Wouldn't the better question be how many 'prohibition notices' is too many? But to answer your question - I just did some quick research & read that QHSQ does theme park safety audits annually:

"The EKKA inspections are part of WHSQ's annual state-wide audit of amusement rides, which not only includes major rural and regional shows as well as smaller shows, community fairs, fetes & theme parks"

...so the current safety audit is highly likely to be an extraordinary safety audit. In 2013:

"There were 652 audits by WHSQ inspectors...with 32 improvement notices and just 15 prohibition notices across the state"

Judging from that, I'd say more than 2 'improvement notices' & more than 1 'prohibition notice' is too many for 1 place.

If DW's safety audit was conducted in 2013, their notices would have made up 16% of 'prohibition notices' and 20% of 'improvement notices' - so in my opinion, that's a lot of notices DW got issued in this latest safety audit even if it didn't affect guest safety.

The figures in that last quote included shows, fairs & fetes so who knows what the figures are for just theme parks alone - it would be good to compare the amount of notices theme parks got in the past so we can be absolutely sure whether the amount of notices DW got in this safety audit is unusual or not. Also, the inspectors in this safety audit would probably be doing their job with highly than usual attention due to the reason for the safety audits as well as any pressure from the media, politicians & the general public so this amount of notices may be due to that too.

Also, I found the Office Of Industrial Relations 'Right To Information' disclosure log so here are the media outlets requesting information currently:

Date Received/Valid - Reference - Applicant - Name of entity seeking to benefit from use of documents - Information requested - Details of decision/released documents

4-Nov-16 - 162037- The Australian - The Australian - Documents relating to a ride at a theme park - Decision made. Refused access to documents as prevented by law.

2-Nov-16 - 162033 - News Corp - News Corp - Documents relating to a ride at a theme park -

1-Nov-16 - 162032 - Seven Network - Seven Network - Documents relating to rides at theme parks. - 

28-Oct-16 - 162027 - Daily Mail Australia - Daily Mail Australia - Documents relating to a ride at a theme park. - 

27-Oct-16 - 162026 - ABC - ABC - Documents relating to a ride at a theme park. -

I'd assume the undecided ones might be for detailed findings of the Thunder River Rapids investigation but I'm curious if Seven Network's request is just a typo or not - it says 'rides' while the other requests just say 'ride'.

Also, The Courier-Mail reports:

More than half of the infringements have already been rectified with the rest to be fixed by next week.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Meanwhile, the freakish nature of last month’s horrific accident has been highlighted by the fact investigators spent days trying to recreate the fatal Thunder River Rapids ride, but were unable to do so. 

I find this bit interesting in that courier article. So clearly it wasn't any single cause like a pump failure etc that's been speculated on quite a bit.

Edited by elemist

Yes I must admit the Yahoo7 article I read this morning (thanks @Theme Park Girl!) did word it far more appropriately - stressing no guest safety issues were found.

In terms of the PINs and prohibition notices, these things have been through numerous safety audits by externals in the past. The 'interlock gate' for buzzsaw is something that will prevent the operator from exiting the operation booth mid-ride, potentially putting them inside the ride envelope - which of course is a risk. When doing a risk assessment, you can look at certain control measures for this:

• instruct operator not to exit the booth until the ride has come to a complete stop
    Cost: Free. Risk of injury: only to idiots
  • Make operator wear 'breakaway' type strap that e-stops the ride if they move too far from the console
    Cost: Minimal. Risk of injury: only to idiots, only to people who don't engage the strap properly. Risk of people defeating the safety feature.
  • Use dead-man switch
    Cost: Minimal. Risk of injury: it is possible depending on the location of the ride vehicle at the time the operator releases the switch that injury could still occur... to an idiot
  • Use interlock gate preventing operator from leaving the booth whilst ride is in motion
    Cost: medium. Risk of injury: No risk of injury by moving ride vehicle, however if a fire were to occur on the stationhouse whilst the ride was in motion, this would prevent the operator from moving away from the fire, but since this isn't the risk we're trying to manage we just won't think about that.

It is overkill if you ask me, and is probably why previous audits didn't identify an interlock gate to be installed - you've got one very experienced operator trained in safety procedures, and all you've got to do is tell them 'don't touch the electric fence'... but in our WH&S environment - we have to protect the idiots. This is why hair dryers have warnings that say 'do not use in shower'.

The other items i've seen on the prohibition \ improvement notices aren't big issues, they're picky issues, but given the current environment, inspectors would want to identify EVERYTHING because nobody wants to sign off a ride in this current climate and then find out that decision was responsible for someone's death. I think also if inspectors came out saying 'clean bill of health' people would probably call foul, given what we have learned of TRRR.

Improvement notices are:

• Green Room Waterslide – the “Emergency Stop” button’s colour is faded and the label contains the manufacturer’s ride name not WhiteWater World’s name. WhiteWater World is installing new buttons and labelling.

• WhiteWater World is required to submit a Chemical Register to notify WHSQ of storage of hazardous chemicals. WhiteWater World is filing this notification.

• The Flowrider ride requires an updated chemical log book. Dreamworld is updating.

• Staff working on the Flowrider are required to use upgraded Personal Protective Equipment (respiratory masks) when adding pool chemicals and should be trained in how to use the new masks. Dreamworld has purchased new masks and staff training on mask handling, storage and use has commenced.

• A Flowrider plastic mat connection contained a sharp edge and was a potential scratch hazard. Dreamworld has repaired this.

• Dreamworld requires durable tags for all electrical equipment/tools (‘tag and test’ tags). Dreamworld is ‘tagging and testing’ all outstanding equipment.

• A maintenance staff member working on the Escape from Madagascar ride did not comply with ‘Work at Heights’ requirements. Dreamworld will undertake ‘Work at Heights’ training.

Prohibition notices are:

• WHSQ raised a concern with maintenance safety harness anchor points on the BuzzSaw. Dreamworld is undertaking independent certification to ensure the ride manufacturer’s anchor systems comply with Australian standards.

• WHSQ identified a staff maintenance procedure error relating to a maintenance safety chain on the BuzzSaw. Dreamworld has revised the maintenance procedure and re-training has commenced. A secondary system will also be installed.

• The BuzzSaw requires an additional inter-lock gate for the operator’s control booth to restrict operator access to the ride platform during ride operation. The new operator booth gate has been installed and will be subject to WHSQ approval.

2 hours ago, themagician said:

• The BuzzSaw requires an additional inter-lock gate for the operator’s control booth to restrict operator access to the ride platform during ride operation. The new operator booth gate has been installed and will be subject to WHSQ approval.

I had noted this when I have been on the Buzzsaw.  There was nothing stopping the operator walking out to the platform when the ride is operating.

Being cleaned up by the Buzzsaw coming through the station wouldn't be pretty.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

but if a person were so stupid as to endanger their own life by entering the ride envelope whilst the ride is in motion, what good would an emergency release button do? same outcome, but with financial cost.

It's like suicide barriers on a bridge. Not enough to stop you if you're really going to do it, but enough to make you stop and think about it a bit longer. 

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

but if a person were so stupid as to endanger their own life by entering the ride envelope whilst the ride is in motion, what good would an emergency release button do? same outcome, but with financial cost.

Sadly it's happened before as you would well know.  An operator who, albeit well-intentioned, ducks into the envelope to collect a lost personal item, for example.  Another real-world example I believe was to cover speakers to protect them from rain.  It would be great if we could rely solely upon training for people to do what they are meant to do, but the sad reality as you well know is that we can not.