Dreamworld Memorial & Reopening discussion

JaggedJanine

@AlexB, I don't know the set-up of Buzzsaw's station but in addition to the interlocking door, to allow an escape route in the event of fire, can they just build an alarmed emergency exit door in the ride operator's booth that leads to the outside of the station building only & thus avoids ride operators going anywhere near the track during the ride's operation during a fire altogether?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

10 hours ago, themagician said:

I• WHSQ raised a concern with maintenance safety harness anchor points on the BuzzSaw. Dreamworld is undertaking independent certification to ensure the ride manufacturer’s anchor systems comply with Australian standards.

Sounds like this might be related to the seatbelts DW has added to the ride. I haven't seen those on any other installation of this coaster, had assumed they were more about perception of safety more than anything else.

I believe they did say that all the issues were related to staff safety, not guest safety. 

The Park will open again soon with a large amount of changes, the majority of those being focused around the safety and security of workers as the majority (if not all) customer areas were fine. There would really be only one or two stand out changes I can think of that most people would easily spot. 

48 minutes ago, Jordan M. said:

Just passed DW, the entrance banner/ribbon has changed.

Has the Dreamworld logo (without "happiness") Welcome and a "celebrating 35 years" gold badge/circle.

No happiness? That's so sad.

Seriously though - I didn't like the happiness thing, it just sounded corny and I'm glad they've gone to a plain logo.

I don't know how long it will take to fix the things needed on the Buzzsaw - but I think once that's done we'll hopefully get a re-opening announcement.

20 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

@AlexB, I don't know the set-up of Buzzsaw's station but in addition to the interlocking door, to allow an escape route in the event of fire, can they just build an alarmed emergency exit door in the ride operator's booth that leads to the outside of the station building only & thus avoids ride operators going anywhere near the track during the ride's operation during a fire altogether?

no. they can't. not without a complete redesign of the stationhouse.

Maybe just give them a chainsaw with a label 'for use in an emergency only' and they can cut their way out of the control box if necessary. 

Of course, for safety requirements, the petrol jerrycan to fill the chainsaw will require a double key simultaneous lock sequence, a retinal scan and a series of trigonometry & Pythagoras theorem problems to be answered with 100% accuracy. 

I always found I was better at maths when chunks of burning timber were falling down around me..

Is anyone else surprised that the park is still closed? I thought it had been longer - but still it's been 5 weeks since the incident occurred. They're cutting it pretty close to the school holidays which start at the end of next week.

Especially considering the initial plans to reopen just a few days after the incident..

There's a chance this is unlikely (as I'd assume they would do it while they've been closed) but HWSW is closed for maintenance up to & including 11th December. So maybe a 12th December or later re-opening? The only reason I think that is still likely is because DW updated their maintenance page but left HWSW on there (unless the update was done automatically). I doubt DW would re-open with 1 ride still under maintenance particularly with the intense media focus they will receive when it re-opens.