Dreamworld Memorial & Reopening discussion

JaggedJanine

3 minutes ago, themagician said:

I personally doubt they'd fill the river track or resovour with concrete. That resovour would be pretty deep and to get it to a height would required tonnes upon tonnes of concrete which would cost a redicilous amount. 

Hmm. In that case, maybe fill it with dirt, and then level with concrete? Since it was obviously dirt that came out of it to begin with. They might just reverse the process that they did in the 80's when it was first developed. 

3 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Hmm. In that case, maybe fill it with dirt, and then level with concrete? Since it was obviously dirt that came out of it to begin with. They might just reverse the process that they did in the 80's when it was first developed. 

That's how it would be done, concrete lining removed from the reservoir and channel, filled with soil and then capped with concrete if needed.

Might be a good opportunity to have a ride that interacts with the reservoir? Retheme the area to a lake in a forest or something like that?

I just did a quick and very rough measure on nearmaps and the resovour is approximately 1600 square metres. And they'd have to go however heigh to put it at a usable level. That is a lot of concrete. So I imagine that drilling into the current ground and installing a drainage system would actually be the realistic option there. But really it does come down to what type of ride they installed there, if they plan to at some stage, and how much of the area they'd require.

28 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

aren't the shops (lolly shop, icecream shop) and cinema built into the back of it? I wonder how hard it would be to separate them without too much disruption? 

Remember that Main Street opened in 1981 and Gold Rush was opened at the end of 86. So the Mine Ride should be able to be removed without damaging the Main Street businesses.

I hope they keep Gold Rush just redevelop it. Add a brand new Mine Ride, a wooden coaster and a new family boat ride.  They can also remove the old chairlift and even fill in some of the river to create new themed lands.

I'd say DW could build a new river rapids ride in the current ones foot print but that sorter defeats the purpose, the dark side about river rapid rides is there more of a permanent ride and quick hard and costly to remove where as when you compare it with a roller coaster its much easier, look at Seaworlds sea viper roller coaster.

Mentioning Seaworld, Dreamworld could do a Seaworld, demolish the river rapids and leave it empty like Seaworld did with there Sea Viper.

46 minutes ago, bladex said:

^yeah imagine it. throw in some theming here and there maybe a few animatronics they already have the dinosaur section in the tunnel no need to change that and bobs your uncle!

Yeah, I don't think that would be a popular idea. A lot of people have already stated they didn't want to go on TRR again because it would mean having to pass over the spot where the four victims perished, which they felt uncomfortable with. You could pretty much say that it's considered a "haunted" spot now. 

Personally I think all circumstances should be avoided where any new attraction would have to utilise the old water passage in any way, especially if involves another water type ride. I don't think it would be accepted well by the public, let alone the victim's families. 

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Mentioning Seaworld, Dreamworld could do a Seaworld, demolish the river rapids and leave it empty like Seaworld did with there Sea Viper.

Geez,  I hope they don't do that either. After now losing a major family attraction in the wake of so many other SBNO rides, and no new rides being added for years, they would want to be doing everything they can to draw back visitors, even if it means having to plan carefully so that they can redevelop that area whilst remaining respectful to the memorial spot. 

Edited by Theme Park Girl

ETA: @bladex just noticed you've edited your earlier post. Glad you've acknowledged that it needed more info to make sense. 

22 minutes ago, bladex said:

well it's better than your "lets just fill it with concrete" idea! feel free to suggest something better than :P

Because that's what they did with Blue Lagoon?

I also followed up with a more info (ie. Dirt and concrete) once someone actually did the math as to measurements and depth. I would not have suggested the same, otherwise. 

I'm not as stupid as you think <_<

Edited by Theme Park Girl

48 minutes ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Because that's what they did with Blue Lagoon?

They did that because OH&S wanted them to streamline the splashdown.

So the ride is toast. It's a real shame, I guess ultimately it's down to public reaction and what the park thinks is appropriate in response. I recall Six Flags completely scrapped that Intamin drop tower with the cable that severed that poor girl's legs, so while say Disney might not wipe out a ride after a death (or two), on the flip-side it's also possible that companies will remove a ride after a non critical incident too. In any case, i'd much rather see them really go all out now and invest instead of pulling a Eureka, because truth be told for them to get out of this mess I think they're going to have to, especially given the media beat up.

Time to buy one of these. Any takers?

3 hours ago, bladex said:

they could always put a lazy river ride in there like the one at wnw

OK - that idea gave me the willies..You realize people drowned / were made "incompatible with living" by machinery under the water and you want to replace that with something that involves people being in the water... sure that will be a popular ride!

Whatever they can't be water related. It's just too close to the situation. They need to go down the path of a roller coaster or some other dry ride i think.

I also wonder with them losing so much money being shut, the loss of money from people getting refunds on season passes and other tickets (halloween etc), plus one would assume lower sales for the near future, whether they have the funds to do anything major.