Dreamworld Memorial & Reopening discussion

JaggedJanine

I must say I find flowers a touching sentiment, but overall a waste. I look at the situation we had after the Lindt cafe siege, where half of martin place was covered in them - even if you say each bouquet was $15 - that was THOUSANDS of dollars spent on something that is swept into the garbage in a week, and the only one benefiting from it really is the florists.

Please don't misunderstand me - if you want to, or have placed flowers at Dreamworld, i'm not saying that you wasted your money, or that you shouldn't have done it. I myself would have done so if I were able to get down to the park. The community outpouring we have seen is something that has stood the families in good stead through these times. I know that those touched by this directly have seen both the physical tributes as well as the messages on line, and they appreciate them very much.

If you want your message to last longer than a week before it makes it into the bin, please see the fundraiser thread. You can even write your thoughts and messages on the fundraiser page when you make a donation.

Understand your point Alex. 

I took flowers down yesterday with my son, as a visual show of support, not only to the families, but also to the DW team and responders. I also got a chance to speak to a few people down there at the same time and was able to pass on my thoughts and offer condolence, and thank the Red Cross volunteers that are doing an amazing job down there.

45 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

@AlexB Flowers are not a waste.  It's one way to show support to the family and all involved.   Are you going to create a fund for everyone involved?

I said I personally find them to be a waste, but am not saying anyone has wasted their money, and indeed i also said i would have done it anyway, had i been able to get to the park.

I didn't create the fundraiser. My friend's mother did. She is associated with the Dorsetts, which is 3 out of the 4 victims. I have no further comment to add.

19 minutes ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

She stated in press conference just now that it is a matter between the Police Commissioner and Dreamworld management...  She would not speculate but kept directing back to that...

In an interview earlier on Tv she said she didn't want it going ahead as it was too soon in her opinion. It's weird how she suddenly changed her tune once she was asked by someone else

Edited by razza1987

1 hour ago, razza1987 said:

Apparently the premier of Queensland has intervened and is trying to stop Dreamworld from reopening tomorrow 

Heard no such thing and I saw her press conference this morning, she said that is a matter between the police and DW and she wasn't involved in that decision 

5 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Heard no such thing and I saw her press conference this morning, she said that is a matter between the police and DW and she wasn't involved in that decision 

She said it in an interview this morning:

" BREAKING: The Queensland Premier has intervened in Dreamworld's plans to re-open tomorrow. #7News "

Edited by razza1987

Funnily no audio from her saying that, only the reporter. More sensationalist media rubbish. What she said was she wanted to ensure the police had the time and access required without hinderance. Given her comments later, I'm gonna say I don't think "they shouldn't open on Friday" never came out of her mouth. 

I agree with the Premier's push to keep the park closed. Additionally, I think it should remain closed until a full investigation has been completed into the safety the park and its rides. They've raised legitimate doubts about their ability to judge the safety of their own attractions. I am absolutely shocked that Dreamworld would even try and reopen the park so soon.

Dreamworld  are opening the park tomorrow yes but out of a day of remembrance of those who died and the park is only opening the smaller rides currently, there obviously not taking any chances.

Second of all the premier stated in the video only about police requiring access to the ride to continue the investigation, Dreamworld would be aware of this and when the park fully reopens on Saturday (I believe it is) the area will most likely be completely closed off so no one will be able intervene with the investigation.

Dreamworld want to know what happened as much as we do so I don't think they are going to just open the park and act and let visitors into the park and act like the ride is under maintenance and let people into the area.  

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

I agree with the Premier's push to keep the park closed until a full investigation has been completed into the safety the park and its rides. They've raised legitimate doubts about their ability to judge the safety of their own attractions. I am absolutely shocked that Dreamworld would even try and reopen the park so soon.

The 'full investigation' could take months. 

What do you suppose happens to the 600+ staff who need jobs to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads? 

As for doubts about their ability to judge the safety of their rides, they don't make that judgement alone, that judgement is made by an external & independent body when major maintenance periods occur. 

I'm not surprised they are reopening tomorrow. The police have given the clear that the whole park isn't a crime scene, despite the investigation continuing until necessary. I imagine that area of the park will be closed for some time, but I'm ademant that the park is safe. I think what happened Tuesday was a freak accident. The ride passed the maintenance period, and despite reports it closing due to issues earlier that day I doubt that'll be linked to the incident, otherwise they wouldn't have reopened the ride. I'm glad they are having the Memorial Day in respect of the victims and their families. I imagine it would a week or so before the majority of the rides reopen, but BuzzSaw I see will be staying closed until the investigation is complete. And for the Rapids ride, who knows what will happen. It's just going to take quite a while before DW is back to normal.

27 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

The 'full investigation' could take months. 

What do you suppose happens to the 600+ staff who need jobs to feed their families and keep a roof over their heads? 

As for doubts about their ability to judge the safety of their rides, they don't make that judgement alone, that judgement is made by an external & independent body when major maintenance periods occur. 

I would expect their employer to do everything they can to assist these people during a situation that is completely out of their control. I'd say that the lives of millions of people who go through the park are also important.

The judgement of the external & independent body is now also compromised since they okayed this ride, and should also be investigated.

This wasn't a freak accident. It's not like a tree fell down or lightning struck something, or some other one-time thing. I think the evidence already points to this being replicable and the result of significant shortcomings in the attraction's design, maintenance and/or operating procedures.

I feel sorry for Ardent Entertainment with all the backlash they have been receiving. Ardent Entertainment wanted to do the right thing so they asked psychologists and counsellors how long they should keep the park closed. It was the psychologists and counsellors who told them that they should reopen ASAP. Arden Entertainment were only trying to do the right thing

Edited by razza1987

You don't think that maybe in the interests of the company and its shareholders to have contracted psychologists and counsellors that suggest the park reopen as soon as possible? 

No one has stated the very obvious (and somewhat cynical) truth. Reopening in a memorial capacity is a logical business decision by virtue of how it can improve the company's goodwill and PR standing. It softens the blow of reopening and shows that as a company they are doing everything they can to support the families. It actively encourages the public to come back with the knowledge that money they spend will be helping. Questions of overall safety notwithstanding, business as usual will be the way Dreamworld rebounds from this, and the memorial day is a masterstroke PR activity to facilitate this.

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

You don't think that maybe in the interests of the company and its shareholders to have contracted psychologists and counsellors that suggest the park reopen as soon as possible? 

No one has stated the very obvious (and somewhat cynical) truth. Reopening in a memorial capacity is a logical business decision by virtue of how it can improve the company's goodwill and PR standing. It softens the blow of reopening and shows that as a company they are doing everything they can to support the families. It actively encourages the public to come back with the knowledge that money they spend will be helping. Questions of overall safety notwithstanding, business as usual will be the way Dreamworld rebounds from this, and the memorial day is a masterstroke PR activity to facilitate this.

Whatever their reasons were to seek out the advice of counsellors and psychologists on when to reopen they still got that advice and were wanting to follow through with it 

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

I must say I find flowers a touching sentiment, but overall a waste. I look at the situation we had after the Lindt cafe siege, where half of martin place was covered in them - even if you say each bouquet was $15 - that was THOUSANDS of dollars spent on something that is swept into the garbage in a week, and the only one benefiting from it really is the florists.

I think those flowers were mulched and incorporated into a new memorial garden. DW could possibly do the same.