Dreamworld Memorial & Reopening discussion

JaggedJanine

The best way to help DW heal from this terrible situation is to support the Business in helping it get through their toughest time.

Pop, by showing such little respect for the future of DW and it's People, you have indicated how much you don't care by saying you will never go back to the Park. So because you don't care about DW, perhaps don't bother talking about DW on this Forum ever again?

I honestly don't think you realise the gravity of your words some time. 

Oh and one last thing... I personally will look forward to calling you out when the day comes that you eat your words and visit DW again.

I also agree that this was a horrific incident, and did effect me when I first heard the news, but it won't stop be from going to the parks and enjoying what they offer, that includes the rides. I understand that people react differently to these types of things and having nearly everyone that has been to the park, gone on this ride, I imagine most people think how it could've been them. But as a theme park enthusiast I will 100% support the park no matter what and as soon as it reopens I will be heading to the park, and will be sure renewing my pass next year. I understand that its people opinions, and this isn't aimed at people on here, but anyone who has ever visited the park, but to say they won't EVER visit the park again, I think is doubtful and give it a couple of years and people won't think of this as the first thing when they say 'Dreamworld'. What if they got this brand new kick ass ride that is a first for Australia, are people going to say, 'No I'm not going to try out that awesome looking ride because I don't visit DW anymore'. I think that is doubtful. It will take time, longer for some than others, but eventually people will be able to move on and enjoy what the park has to offer.

3 hours ago, Santa07 said:

I'm quite the opposite actually, I don't want to sound disrespectful but I have missed the park a lot and would love to get back down there, although probably just to pay respect to the victims initially.

Ditto. I feel exactly the same way.  

Like many others here, my husband and I intend to be there on the morning it opens, and will be taking the kids along after school as well (if it's a weekday, otherwise they will be there with us) as they have been pining over the park for weeks. 

I don't intend to go on any rides during that visit. I just want to show the park my support, catch up with staff and animal friends that we have missed, and basically familiarise ourselves with our second home again. 

On a side note, and please don't judge me on this, I personally feel that I will not have closure on the incident until I am given this opportunity. It's hard to explain, but everything that has happened with the accident and the aftermath is still surreal to me right now. I think that if I am able to mentally absorb the changed surroundings inside the park (not just the entrance) it will help keep to fully process and accept what has happened, have a bit of a cry, hopefully assist with my healing process and move forward. 

Please tell me that makes sense! That's just how my crazy little brain works. 

At the moment our routine of visiting Dreamworld at least once or twice a week is broken, which isn't helping me get back to my personal 'normality', either :(

Us theme park enthusiasts need closure as well, and it's not going to happen until this happens. So I really hope they reopen soon for that sake alone.

1 hour ago, themagician said:

But as a theme park enthusiast I will 100% support the park no matter what and as soon as it reopens I will be heading to the park, and will be sure renewing my pass next year. 

Amen to that ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Theme Park Girl said:

On a side note, and please don't judge me on this, I personally feel that I will not have closure on the incident until I am given this opportunity. It's hard to explain, but everything that has happened with the accident and the aftermath is still surreal to me right now. I think that if I am able to mentally absorb the changed surroundings inside the park (not just the entrance) it will help keep to fully process and accept what has happened, have a bit of a cry, hopefully assist with my healing process and move forward. 

Please tell me that makes sense! That's just how my crazy little brain works. 

Everybody deals with tragedy their own way. Im much the same, until my trip up next year i don't think i'll fully comprehend what's happened..or that the ride is even closed. Like you said it's just all so surreal right now.

But it does make sense, we're all really passionate about our parks and rides, they've brought us so much happiness and joy.
It's sad to see a ride we've loved so much close in a way we would have never expected.... We all need our own goodbyes.

36 minutes ago, diesal11 said:

Everybody deals with tragedy their own way. Im much the same, until my trip up next year i don't think i'll fully comprehend what's happened..or that the ride is even closed. Like you said it's just all so surreal right now.

But it does make sense, we're all really passionate about our parks and rides, they've brought us so much happiness and joy.
It's sad to see a ride we've loved so much close in a way we would have never expected.... We all need our own goodbyes.

the reason i don't know when i may visit the park again is becouse the thunder river rapids was one of the only rides in the park i really cared about rideing so with the ride no longer part of the park i dont know when i mite feel like visiting again

Just a subject for discussion... Thunder River Rapids has a large footprint, which is going to make it fairly difficult for the park to hide visually, especially when it is in close vicinity to other major thrill rides. I don't know if they will make the effort to do so, I guess it depends if they think that having it directly in the public's eye is going to cause more grief... the ol' "out if sight, out of mind" might very well be their preferred method of approach to try and help everyone move on from the matter.

So, that said, I wonder how they will deal with Gold Rush when the park reopens, especially given River Rapids is right next to the Buzzsaw. The two literally share a fence, and a very low one at that.

I've come up with two possibilities:

1) Fencing off specifically the ride entrance alone at both bridges (eureka and giant drop) and leaving the Eureka courtyard area open with a direct passage to the Buzzsaw, so that it can continue operating in the meanwhile until they decide to demolish TRR. I would assume that this may also possibly mean raising the low fencing between the Buzzsaw entrance and TRR load/exit area, so it can't be visually seen by guests.

2) Gold Rush main entrance blocked off, Giant Drop bridge fenced off, so no access to the entire precinct. This will obviously render Buzzsaw temporarily SBNO until after the removal of TRR.

Obviously either method this isn't going to stop people from seeing it from the top of rides, but I guess there is no real way to prevent this. It's probably just something the park is going to have to deal with until the removal process begins.

I'm also thinking in both cases, temporary fencing will go up along the openly fenced TOT/GD side of the ride, to visually hide it from the public's eye. Personally I don't think they will leave it open, but then once again, I guess it depends what approach they take as to whether they try to conceal it or not.

Thoughts or further suggestions?

I don't think they'll fence the whole area off at this stage. Larger areas might be closed off when the ride begins to be demolished. I think for now they will just fence off the enterance and maybe the fence that is shared for Buzz Saw. Otherwise I don't see the need to fence anything else off. The park does still need to function, and fencing off the old gold rush area doesn't seem ideal and then removes the use of BuzzSaw. We don't know, and I don't think DW know at this stage when they will demolish the ride. And I think the demolition would be the station and mechanical elements, rather than the area you walk past near GD for now until a future of the area has been decided and what they decide to replace it with.

Yeah. My personal prediction is that they will fill the TRR track and possibly the entire reservoir with concrete on a similar manner to what they did with blue lagoon pools. At least that will bring it all back up to a flat surface to redevelop on. 

This also opens the question as to what they will now do with Eureka. I can't help but feel that any possibility of it ever reopening is now well and truly gone, especially if the entire precinct is demolished and rethemed. They may take this opportunity to bring it down simultaneously with TRR. 

Then again, aren't the shops (lolly shop, icecream shop) and cinema built into the back of it? I wonder how hard it would be to separate them without too much disruption? 

I personally doubt they'd fill the river track or resovour with concrete. That resovour would be pretty deep and to get it to a height would required tonnes upon tonnes of concrete which would cost a redicilous amount. My bet is on a coaster of some sort which wouldn't require any major works to the resovour, besides obviously removing the water. And I think the station/queue area would be the location of the memorial.

3 minutes ago, themagician said:

I personally doubt they'd fill the river track or resovour with concrete. That resovour would be pretty deep and to get it to a height would required tonnes upon tonnes of concrete which would cost a redicilous amount. My bet is on a coaster of some sort which wouldn't require any major works to the resovour, besides obviously removing the water. And I think the station/queue area would be the location of the memorial.

Think of the drainage they'd need to add though. Probably just as expensive as filling it in.