Dreamworld Memorial & Reopening discussion

JaggedJanine

Everyone is sad, everyone is shocked, but in time you will get over it, as will everyone. 

That's meant in no disrespect for the families & friends of those lost, but as a reality. At some point, life forces you to move forward and leave things behind. Not forget, but no longer dwell.

if it truly has effected you as much as you constantly post about @POP, then you should speak with your GP and get some help - that's not a dig at you, that's a sincere suggestion 

@Brad2912 Are you sure?  Pop said he was never coming back on Friday and today is Monday.  It could be your old age catching up with you . Might be time to get your eyes checked.:P

@themagician Who said the most of the checks are complete?.  I only say this because on my radio station they said the checks are still on going.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

I'm sure the park is losing a lot of income and I believe that the sooner they open the sooner they can start working back the public's trust. I hope they re-open soon for those reasons, but if the operators are not satisfied with going back into operation so soon I completely understand any delays in opening. Although, if they delay this too long the quiet time before school holidays will be over and we'll have to face the crowds for those wanting to go down ?  (I'm sure the crowds will be significantly quieter though, and that's why they need to work on building the public's trust)

29 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

POPs post has been deleted which kind of takes the context away from my reply post above.

Just so everyone knows I wasn't just randomly preaching my thoughts on the mourning 

@Brad2912 I read @POP's msg too and thought it a little strange that he msgd so soon after recently announcing his departure from Parkz. Showing true colours I guess

For what it's worth I gave pos rep to your message because it seemed genuine and thoughtful. Despite that, someone seemed to have taken it the wrong way

2 minutes ago, themagician said:

Maybe I misheard then, but definitely did hear them say that park won't reopen until staff are satisfied 

I'd imagine staff being satisfied with ride safety would be secondary to the official checks? And if the rides have been Greenlit by the relevant auditors, why wouldn't staff be satisfied?

17 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

I'd imagine staff being satisfied with ride safety would be secondary to the official checks? And if the rides have been Greenlit by the relevant auditors, why wouldn't staff be satisfied?

Possibly more of just being satisfied that they know what to do in accidents than actually being satisfied that the ride is safe.

I have a number of friends who work at both DW and WWW and have been in contact with them over the last few days asking about how they are doing, how the parks doing and what they've been up to. All are doing well and are all really glad to be back at work and do what they can to prepare the park for reopening. One friend works in admistrarion and ticketing and is doing general work around the park and replying to emails and calls from people. Another friend works with the koalas mainly, but has been helping with the other wildlife. They are performing usual routines, including Croc feeding around the usual times of the park being open. They are having a lot of interaction with the kangaroos like they usually would. The other friend works at WWW and is a slide operator, they are currently assisting with the check over of the slides and helping where needed throughout the parks.

The Queensland Times reported:

Industrial Relations Minister Grace Grace said workplace safety investigators had completed a full audit of amusement rides at Movie World.

"The amusement ride audits at Movie World have been completed, with all 16 rides cleared," she said.

"Our inspectors found Movie World has robust systems in place with regards to the training of operators, the maintenance of plant and all areas that formed part of the audit process.

"The safety audits are ongoing at Dreamworld and White Water World, and inspectors have now commenced audits at Wet'n'Wild.

"From next week, safety inspectors will move on to Sea World, Aussie World and Australia Zoo for the next phase of the audits.

"We expect all theme park audits to be complete by the end of November."

....while the families of the four victims will also be consulted about any opening date.

The last sentence is clearly referring to DW but I'm unsure if that information has come from an official spokesperson.

myGC.com.au also reported an extra part of the Industrial Relations Minister's quote:

“I want to thank Movie World management for their cooperating fully with our auditors as they carried out this important work."

The Courier-Mail reported:

It is understood park officials are eyeing off a date around the end of this month or early next month.

...the planned Lego store and expansion of Tiger Island...both on track to be finished ahead of the school holidays.

1 hour ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

Is this one new too? :P

Welcome.jpg

Really, is it? I really don't know.

that one has been there for a while, I believe that's the entrance that people who have booked the VIP Experince go through? It could be a new group entry as the original group entrance was removed for the Lego Store 

Edited by Theme Park Ninja

A lot nicer then a green wall of nothingness, I think.

Personally I think those grassy hills should have some really nice gardens built into them just like Disneyland in Anaheim. Also, perhaps while they're at it, can they finally blend that cream wall in with the rest of the building (the one that's smack bang in the middle of the front entrance building.) Quite possibly one of the most average first impressions i've encountered for a theme park. It feels very Ekka-ish, very basic, particularly with the border-control style metal little windows. I'd go so far as to say the whole process for getting into the park is super messy as a whole. Too many temporary bollards, too many different types of dedicated ticket entrances. That first encounter at the front gate for guests always sets the stage for the day's expectations, so if I was a park owner, i'd make it very clean, very concise, very friendly and very efficient.

And while i'm ranting... the next step for the big globe inside the park should be for them to drill in some LED's / fibre-optic lines into the countries so at night that capital cities sparkle like I would in real life. Dreamworld as a whole could benefit greatly from stepping into 2016 with a much better centralised AV system and a park as well lit as the likes of AOS or Movie World. This isn't lost or wasted capex either, it's easily recoverable via private/corporate functions and would serve the park well even in terms of Screamworld and specialty events open to the public.

Edited by Slick